Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats

+25
JRV
orpheoet
Allgoodhits
BE Mike
-TT-
bruce martindale
chiz1180
Multiracer
RoyDean
fc60
Arthur
msmith44
Brian Mason
sbtzc
Wobbley
SingleActionAndrew
r_zerr
adminbot1911
john bickar
JHHolliday
PhotoEscape
Pinetree
james r chapman
OldShooter43
John B Fowler
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats - Page 3 Empty Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats

Post by John B Fowler 6/11/2023, 11:08 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all. Some elements of our local NW Ohio conservation club, with the only indoor 50 yd and separate indoor 25 yd non-commercial range around, are souring on Bullseye pistol shooting claiming "the sport is dying out".  I'm looking for some numbers from CMP and NRA to get an idea of how many matches and participants they are aware of in 2023 to date and in 2022 vs. likely covid lows in 21 and 20.  I shot competitively for OSU in the 70s and later in the Army and am getting back into it now that I'm retired.  I'd greatly appreciate learning contacts you may have in both organizations that might readily have this type of data at hand I can use to support my efforts to rebuild the local program leading up to a postal and or traveling league and hosting some state matches again.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

John B Fowler

Back to top Go down

Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats - Page 3 Empty Re: Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats

Post by michael 7/2/2023, 9:24 am

I shoot BE style at my local outdoor range in arizona and, by far, 98%,  the most asked question/comment is "where can I get a (gun)box like that?

michael

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats - Page 3 Empty Re: Request for Assistance-Is Bullseye Pistol Waxing or Waning; Looking for some stats

Post by lonegunman 7/6/2023, 3:05 am

Most "action pistol" sports require less skill and about the same ammo.  People like them because in all honesty you stand around picking your nose for six hours and shoot about two minutes during a wasted day at the range.  People like them because you get to wear a gun and strut for hours while shooting the breeze.  Most of the targets are at 5 yds and scoring matters far less than speedy holes any old place on the target.

The NRA is killing bullseye and has been for years.  They have been peddling gear queer sports for the last twenty years since they switched their focus from supporting the membership towards catering to guns and gear makers.  A conventional rifle or pistol shooter can enjoy the sport with the same gear for 30 years at a moderate level.  He/she will not need the latest flaming red holster or Poofter Pete shooting rig and Limp Wrist Larry's magical magazine pads with a new stretchy Bob shirt covered in ads for guns they cannot afford or don't own.  This is not appealing to modern gun and gear peddlers.

The best thing you can do is volunteer to run the line for bullseye once in a while or otherwise support the matches or league with help scoring, free lunch or finding local sponsors.  Every match I ran included a free lunch for shooters, something modest built into the cost of the shoot.  I had a couple of local sporting goods guys who would donate something for the bigger matches, cast bullets, powder, primers or hats and T-shirts.

With even a modest bit of advertising and a few notes in a club newsletter, it is possible to increase participation in Bullseye pistol.  Guys who try it like it and one of our local clubs has 40-50 shooters every year in their winter indoor league.  I ran pistol matches for almost a decade at my club with good participation until I deployed for the war in the early 2000's.  While I was away then antigun factions of the gun club (Fudd's) pulled the turning target system and trashed it.  My local club nearly destroyed all of their competitive shooting when Fudd's took over the board and "wanted a place a feller could shoot a few rounds" instead of a gun club.  

My favorite match these days is a once a year 1800 about 2 hours drive away.  It has a neat 3-D printed trophy and free apples.  It is shot without NMC's so it finishes about lunch time.
lonegunman
lonegunman

fc60, Mike M. and djperry2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3