Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine

5 posters

Go down

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine Empty Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine

Post by Amanda4461 Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:37 pm

Hello folks,
Once upon a time I lived in Monroe, Michigan where I worked for BP Toledo and was only a short drive to Perry. Started with Service Rifle and was fortunate to be in a little group of neighborhood gents for winter indoor .22 BE. Tried some PPC with some police types and even some Canadians. I enjoyed the BE Rimfire part enough to desire a Pardini SP-22. Larry in Maine set me up with a new SP-22 and UltraDot, plus a small treasury of Pardini Spare Parts in 2010.
I ended up transferring to Texas after the BP Texas City Refinery disaster. That was the last of my time using the Pardini, since I became hooked on Centerfire Metallic Silhouette at my local range in Beaumont.
Having since retired in 2018 at age 55, and moved to NC, I have time, so decided to try the one-handed game again, and broke out the Pardini. One inch at 25 yards from the bench, using SK+ or Wolf ME, or better if using Tenex, made me sit up and pay attention.
I did a thorough scrubbing today, replaced the 13 O-Rings in the bolt and cleaned out the firing pin channel, while I was scrubbing the dry-rotted O-Rings out of the bolt. I noticed for the first time that my gun, Serial Number B13xxx, does not have a Recoil Buffer in the rear of the frame. Since I have spares, I stuck a new Green Buffer in the gun. Now the bolt will not lock back.
If I take the Buffer out, gun returns to normal lock-back.
Did the early SP-22's ship without Buffers? I do notice some very small, minor impact-caused shiny spots on the rear of the frame.
My pistol says Mechanical on the left front near the muzzle, Larry's Guns, Gray, ME USA under the left slide channel and Mod. SP CAL.22 L.R. under the ejection port.
Thanks for your advice!
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine Empty Re: Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine

Post by Chase Turner Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:39 am

This is probably a dumb suggestion, but here goes:

Are you certain the buffer is seated completely in the frame?

I can report that my earlier, Nygord era, Pardini does in fact have a buffer, so yours should have one too. Other than it just isn't seated quite right, I have no guesses as to the issue.

HTH,
Chase

Chase Turner

Amanda4461 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine Empty Re: Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine

Post by -TT- Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:53 am

Larry often left the buffers out of some guns. Do you think you need it? Does the bolt cycle properly with the match ammo you're using?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:01 am

I had an SP22 a while back that was about the same vintage as the OP’s. It did not have a buffer, or a provision to mount one in the frame.

aub1957

Amanda4461 and Jarmawa like this post

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine Empty Pardini SP-22 Buffer

Post by Amanda4461 Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:45 pm

Chase Turner wrote:This is probably a dumb suggestion, but here goes:

Are you certain the buffer is seated completely in the frame?

I can report that my earlier, Nygord era, Pardini does in fact have a buffer, so yours should have one too. Other than it just isn't seated quite right, I have no guesses as to the issue.

HTH,
Chase
Not dumb at all. I verified it went all the way to the rear. I don’t get very many easy solutions with pistols😂
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Pardini SP-22 from Larry's in Maine Empty Pardini SP-22 Buffer

Post by Amanda4461 Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:55 pm

-TT- wrote:Larry often left the buffers out of some guns. Do you think you need it? Does the bolt cycle properly with the match ammo you're using?
Pistol has never had an issue, cycles fine with every SV ammo I feed it. 
After reading your response and looking at the different schematics of the various SP-22s, I found a schematic that is identical to my pistol, and it shows no Buffer. 
I’ll get my serial number to Pardini and see if mine was even made for a buffer. I will guess from the impact marks I see, the Buffer may have been added after receiving reports of frame and slide damage.
My pistol hasn’t seen enough use for me to be too concerned, but my curiosity will get me to contact Pardini. I would hate to damage a fine pistol.
Thank you for your response!
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:58 pm

Shucks- well, it didn't hurt to ask, and I hoped it was that simple. I use a chopstick to replace mine, which works a treat.

If you can take some pictures of your pistol that you think might be relevant, I'll be happy to show them to Pardini at Perry next week. Can't promise they will have an answer, but happy to go to the horses mouth if it would help. PM me if you would like me to ask them.

Do think it is strange Larry would take a buffer out, or, at least, return a gun without one. My buffer definitely shows wear, and I'm glad I have it because of said. I can't imagine a Pardini not needing it- but Larry didn't do things willy nilly, and it's not like the design of the pistol is fixed forever, so it is entirely possible there was a change or two along the way.

Be interested to see what you turn up!

Best,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:15 pm

Buffers can cause the bolt to bounce back too quickly and cause more problems than they solve. And if they're too tall they can interfere with the stroke. Larry definitely wasn't thrilled with the stock material of the Benelli one, which is cake to inspect or replace compared to the Pardini. But the Benelli won't work without one, the spring tube over-extends.

I'd definitely be interested in what Vladimir has to say about the earlier models and buffers. A friend's Nygord-era buffer fell to pieces and he had no clue until the bits got stuck and jammed. Leaving it out altogether worked best. It may depend on whether it's the rapid-fire or bullseye bolt, in some models.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:55 am

The 13 O-rings are the buffer in this design.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda4461 Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:44 pm

PardiniUSA responded to an email sent over the 4th, asking about the Green Buffer in my 2010-model SP-22. Basically, if it doesn’t have a hole in the rear of the slide channel, but it does have the 13 o-ring buffers, I can quit worrying about the bolt beating the gun to death. 
My pistol does not have the hole designed to hold the green buffer, but does have the 13 o-rings in the bolt.
Dr. Don beat Pardini to the punch😜
Thanks!
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down