Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shooting Glasses/Aperture

+2
joem5636
Jonathans
6 posters

Go down

Shooting Glasses/Aperture Empty Shooting Glasses/Aperture

Post by Jonathans 7/15/2023, 9:30 pm

I am considering getting a pair of Champion Shooting Glasses with a 42mm adjustable aperture.  These old eyes might be able to benefit some!
I don’t want to give up my safety shooting glasses, and I have my doubts that I’d be successful in lining up a clip on attachment.
I would be interested as to how other shooters are incorporating safety with shooting frames.

Jonathans

Back to top Go down

Shooting Glasses/Aperture Empty Re: Shooting Glasses/Aperture

Post by joem5636 7/16/2023, 5:42 am

Shoot center of mass instead of 6 o’clock. Get about +.75D added to your distance prescription [I highly recommend goggles4u.com — $30 or so]. Forget aperture, etc.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/16/2023, 6:19 am

It would be possible to get lenses made of polycarbonate, but I am pretty sure all the off the shelf lenses are made out of glass. Shooting frames may meet the rules for "eye protection" but they are no where close to the same protection as certified safety glasses.

Apertures do help clear up the sight picture and help maintain consistent head position, but can be a bit finicky if you are not consistent.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/16/2023, 7:24 am

An aperture can be very useful in variable light conditions (+ all that SteveT said above). Especially with iron sights. You need to experiment a bit. Everyone's eyes are different. To say "forget them" is not helpful, IMHO.

Gray or green tint are very useful to obscure "floaters" (thank you Brenda S). +0.50 or +0.75 above normal prescription is very common for iron sights with older eyes. There are many recent threads on this subject.

To comply with CMP rules you will need lens holders for both eyes. Most 42mm lens on the market are shatterproof. But I do accept that Champions, etc., are not as "safe" as purpose built safety specs.

Champions are superior to Knobloch and other brands, IMHO, because of the very convenient position adjusters which easily allow you to precisely position the lens concentric to your shooting eye.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 7/16/2023, 7:37 pm

Jonathans wrote:I am considering getting a pair of Champion Shooting Glasses with a 42mm adjustable aperture.  These old eyes might be able to benefit some!
I don’t want to give up my safety shooting glasses, and I have my doubts that I’d be successful in lining up a clip on attachment.
I would be interested as to how other shooters are incorporating safety with shooting frames.

Buy a sampling of Delta Plus RX-500C full lens then pick a few RX-206 safety glasses. $9-ish versus $30-ish if you shop around. Fleabay is crap as they mark up Amazon sellers..

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/delta-plus-rx-500c-safety-glasses-black-frame-clear-full-lens-magnifier/

https://rx-safety.com/shop/master-safety-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses-rx-206/

I am a lead magnet and like the RX-206 type glasses.

I shot irons today with +1.75 lenses and a small piece of scotch tape as an occluder over the non-dominate eye..
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 7/16/2023, 8:16 pm

You can make a cheap temporary iris with electrical tape and a leather hole punch to see if is something you care to invest in.

Merick

Sparky_D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down