Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bygone Range

+15
L Valdez
TJ1911
Axehandle
Cmysix
TonyH
chopper
Asa Yam
Black_Talon
KB2MBC
xringdave
BE Mike
cdrt
john bickar
Wobbley
Jon Eulette
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bygone Range - Page 2 Empty Bygone Range

Post by Jon Eulette 7/29/2023, 7:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

The San Diego Police Range was a premier Bullseye range for many decades. The matches were called the Southland Matches. I shot on this range 5-6 days a week (closed Mondays) from 1988 to 1994 unless I was traveling to shoot a match. The backstops, overhead cover and shooting benches are gone. Concrete/Shotcrete retaining walls are now in place, and overgrown with weeds. Used to have a beautiful lawn behind the 25 yd line. Twice a year (Dec and Apr) they held matches that required 3 relays. Separate 50 and 25 yard lines allowed for a fast match. To make it even faster, the club had individual targets and swapped out all targets quickly and they did the scoring. If you had a protest the targets were available. If you set a record you could have your targets. 25 yd line targets had a pit. They changed those targets as well. Fastest matches in the US if not the world. The stat house and clubhouse were built by prisoners in the 1940’s I believe. Clubhouse was used for air pistol matches. I first broke 2650 here. I miss this place……
Jon
Bygone Range - Page 2 Img_2913
50 Yard Line
Bygone Range - Page 2 Img_2914
Star house on left and clubhouse on right
Bygone Range - Page 2 Img_2915
25 Yard Line
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Greg Walloch, Mike M., lyoke, RoyDean and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Bygone Range - Page 2 Empty Re: Bygone Range

Post by KCoop 8/8/2023, 9:45 am

Come out saturday 8am and shoot an 1800 at Escondido Fish & game association range 16525 Guejito road off Lake Wolford road (east of Escondido via Valley Center road), a covered range with 16 shooting points (25 & 50 yds).

Kevin Cooper

KCoop

Back to top Go down

Bygone Range - Page 2 Empty Bullseye 1800 at Escondido Fish & Game Association Range

Post by KCoop 8/8/2023, 9:56 am

Bygone Range - Page 2 Pistol12
Bygone Range - Page 2 On_the11

KCoop

john bickar and rburk like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/8/2023, 10:23 am

KCoop: are thes matches being held?  I’m hearing conflicting reports.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KCoop 8/8/2023, 10:58 am

Yes the matches are being held Smile

Here is a listing of local SD COUNTY Rifle & Pistol matches

Escondido Fish and Game Associationescondidofishandgame.com

Aug 6th     Nation Match Course rifle & As issued rifle (100 yds)
Aug 12th   Precision Pistol (Bullseye 1800 .22 cal / centerfire) (25 - 50 yds)
Sept 3rd     Nation Match Course rifle & As issued rifle (100 yds)
Sept 9th   Precision Pistol (Bullseye 1800 .22 cal / centerfire) (25 - 50 yds)

South Bay Rod and Gun clubsbrgc.wildapricot.org

July 22nd  Conventional Pistol Bullseye (2700 .22 cal / centerfire) (25 - 50 yds)
Aug 13th      High power Rifle (200 - 300 yds)
Aug 19th    Reduced Palma rifle (service rifle ok) (300 yds)
Aug 26th   Conventional Pistol Bullseye (2700 .22 cal / centerfire) (25 - 50 yds)
Sept 10th      High power Rifle (200 - 300 yds)
Sept 16th    Reduced Palma rifle (service rifle ok) (300 yds)
Sept 23rd   Conventional Pistol Bullseye (2700 .22 cal / centerfire) (25 - 50 yds)

KCoop

Back to top Go down

Post by targetbarb 8/8/2023, 3:23 pm

TonyH wrote:I remember a range I used to shoot at in SoCal located east of I-15 in the San Bernardino area (Fontana?) back in the mid 80's. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it was called, however - it was in the middle of town in a city park on the south side of the main drag, and I think it was a police range, where BE matches were held once/month. Anyone remember that one?
Is Desert Marksmen still around in the Palmdale area? Used to be member there for a long time shooting both BE Pistol and High Power. 600 yard Rifle range had manned target pits and they closed down the main range to hold 1000 yd matches couple of times a year.
hi Tony;
Desert Marksmen is still running BE matches, second Saturday each month (April - Oct).  Unfortunately, Jim Conrad who ran the matches for a number of years retired at end of last year.  I haven't been there this year due to date conflict with 2 other matches; I've heard attendance has been low this year.
See you in October,

Barbara

targetbarb

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/9/2023, 9:58 pm

Hi Barbara! Good to hear that DM is still going….had some fun matches there. Need to get behind the trigger more than I have been for October….see you then! Thinking about heading to Phoenix for the CMP games also, hoping to make that happen.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by targetbarb 8/9/2023, 10:08 pm

TonyH wrote:Hi Barbara! Good to hear that DM is still going….had some fun matches there. Need to get behind the trigger more than I have been for October….see you then! Thinking about heading to Phoenix for the CMP games also, hoping to make that happen.
The CMP pistol events are the same week as the Huntsman Games.  Crying or Very sad Otherwise, I'd definitely go.

targetbarb

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/10/2023, 6:09 am

For some reason I thought the two events were back to back weeks....my error! I guess CMP Games is out for me as well this year. May have to opt out of Huntsman next year though if the dates conflict.
TonyH
TonyH

targetbarb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. 8/16/2023, 8:48 pm

Asa Yam wrote:Trying to remember the name of the indoor range near Poway, CA which closed due to a lack of business - a sad loss, as the place in question specialized in ISSF type shooting. 
Black Mountain.  I shot there for a while when I was on travel to San Diego.  Wonderful facility, I understand that the owner had a falling out with USA Shooting management.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. 8/16/2023, 8:52 pm

Damn, you guys are depressing me.  I spent enough time out in Southern California on travel that I wound up training at Black Mountain for about a year, and shot several matches at San Bernadino.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierra49er 8/18/2023, 9:54 am

It is indeed sad to see such a range close.  One of my favorite outdoor ranges closed the rifle (100 yds max - good for zeroing) and pistol (20 yds max) but kept the skeet ranges open.  I remember that there were four skeet ranges and one international trap range.  I seems that about a year later they too were closed.  I miss that place....

Sorry about your loss.

Sierra49er

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2