Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOW COULD THIS BE?

+15
NYKenn
Wobbley
chiz1180
pgg
Black_Talon
RoyDean
weber1b
zanemoseley
Multiracer
Colt711
SingleActionAndrew
Foundryratjim
bruce martindale
james r chapman
Cmysix
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HOW COULD THIS BE? Empty HOW COULD THIS BE?

Post by Cmysix 9/3/2023, 12:59 pm

So haw could it be that all of sudden EVERYONE is FLUSH with powders and primers all at the same time? LPP still a little hard to get but they seem to be creeping out,  Are we being played?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

HOW COULD THIS BE? Empty Re: HOW COULD THIS BE?

Post by james r chapman 9/3/2023, 1:43 pm

Hmmm, have not looked lately.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 9/3/2023, 1:52 pm

We not being played if we aren't buying...

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Al and Nightshift82 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim 9/3/2023, 1:53 pm

bruce martindale wrote:We not being played if we aren't buying...
EXACTLY!

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 9/3/2023, 2:59 pm

The stores are catching up to the bullseye shooters Smile
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/3/2023, 4:45 pm

Always keep a decent inventory of those items!    Just like I.............Don't!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by oldrifle 9/3/2023, 5:42 pm

I doubt it; apparently, retailers are catching up to bullseye shooters.

oldrifle

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/3/2023, 8:16 pm

Cabela's had bricks and bricks of all primers both rifle and pistol and shotshell. From all manufactures too. Just yesterday.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/3/2023, 8:34 pm

So what kind of prices  Rolling Eyes

zanemoseley

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 9/3/2023, 9:03 pm

It has been improving bit by bit. Have been seeing more and also occasionally seeing better prices. I bought a case of large primer at 80 per thousand recently cause I was just too low. I have also see 70 per thousand for small pistol which I did not need yet so I passed. But it is coming along.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/3/2023, 9:47 pm

Winchester LPP's are sometimes going for about $70/thousand (by the case) delivered, from vendors on GunBroker. As Garth says, the prices are slowly drifting down as supply seems to be arriving and demand is slowly being met.

$50 by year end? Fingers crossed
HOW COULD THIS BE? 2935285009

RoyDean

Hawkja, onlylead, tovaert, Gustavo1957, RodJ and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon 9/4/2023, 7:23 pm

When I see Remington 148gr HBWC's available again for sale, I'll know everything is really back to normal! Smile
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Multiracer and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/4/2023, 11:23 pm

RoyDean wrote: As Garth says, the prices are slowly drifting down as supply seems to be arriving and demand is slowly being met.

Probably just in time for everyone to spaz out over the 2024 election and get the market all jacked up again lol.

zanemoseley

valbern67, Arthur, Dan Webb, RodJ and 14S&W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 9/5/2023, 9:22 am

zanemoseley wrote:
RoyDean wrote: As Garth says, the prices are slowly drifting down as supply seems to be arriving and demand is slowly being met.

Probably just in time for everyone to spaz out over the 2024 election and get the market all jacked up again lol.

Exactly

22lr is everywhere for 6c per round. That's a brass case, lead projectile, priming compound, powder, packaging, distribution, and delivery. There is no economic or "inflation" reason for primers to cost more than 4c apiece delivered. It's all supply & demand. Supply is obviously catching up to demand, as we're all seeing primers in stock online and on store shelves again. Prices will come down - until the next shock.

The question is how long do you wait for prices to come down?

I think I'll top off my supplies, whatever the price is, a few weeks before the primaries start.

pgg

LeadDispenser likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 9/5/2023, 10:03 am

pgg wrote:
zanemoseley wrote:

Exactly

22lr is everywhere for 6c per round. That's a brass case, lead projectile, priming compound, powder, packaging, distribution, and delivery. There is no economic or "inflation" reason for primers to cost more than 4c apiece delivered. It's all supply & demand. Supply is obviously catching up to demand, as we're all seeing primers in stock online and on store shelves again. Prices will come down - until the next shock.

I think I'll top off my supplies, whatever the price is, a few weeks before the primaries start.
From a manufacturing perspective a centerfire primer is much more difficult to make than priming a rimfire case. Making and combining the cup, anvil, and priming compound is much more complicated than swirling priming compound in a 22 rimfire case. 

Not to say it is impossible, but manufacturing in general in the last few years has been a mess. Skilled and experienced labor is retiring and can not be replaced over night.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 9/5/2023, 10:56 am

chiz1180 wrote:
pgg wrote:
zanemoseley wrote:

Exactly

From a manufacturing perspective a centerfire primer is much more difficult to make than priming a rimfire case. Making and combining the cup, anvil, and priming compound is much more complicated than swirling priming compound in a 22 rimfire case. 

Not to say it is impossible, but manufacturing in general in the last few years has been a mess. Skilled and experienced labor is retiring and can not be replaced over night.

Sure, I'll agree a guy priming a cup with putty is harder than spin-priming a rimfire case, but I'm still not buying the notion that an assembled 22lr round is less complicated, requires less machinery, needs less labor, and requires less time and expense to manufacture than a primer.

22lr certainly requires more raw materials - which at the very least ought to put to rest the ridiculous gun-forum narrative the last couple years that primer prices are never coming down because of inflation.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/5/2023, 1:51 pm

chiz1180 wrote:From a manufacturing perspective a centerfire primer is much more difficult to make than priming a rimfire case. Making and combining the cup, anvil, and priming compound is much more complicated than swirling priming compound in a 22 rimfire case. 

It’s actually less difficult.  The cups are a straightforward cupping operation.  Done on a strip, the die is made to make a bunch at every stroke.  The anvils are the same although it’s more of a basic draw process.  The priming pellet is made by wiping priming compound over a plate to fill a matrix of holes.  The cups and anvils are shaken into a plate each and can only go in one way.  The cups and priming compound are placed together and then a plate full of punches are placed over it.  The punches seat the priming pellet then a similar setup seats the sealing paper.  Then they go to drying. After drying the anvils are seated similarly then they go for final sizing by running through a punch and die like a cast bullet sizer (tho automated.) it’s tooling heavy, but the process is faster.

A Rimfire round has to use a slightly wetter compound and each individual case has to be spun to get the compound into the rim of the case. The machinery is more complex.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Amanda4461 and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 9/5/2023, 3:26 pm

Wobbley wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:From a manufacturing perspective a centerfire primer is much more difficult to make than priming a rimfire case. Making and combining the cup, anvil, and priming compound is much more complicated than swirling priming compound in a 22 rimfire case. 

It’s actually less difficult.  The cups are a straightforward cupping operation.  Done on a strip, the die is made to make a bunch at every stroke.  The anvils are the same although it’s more of a basic draw process.  The priming pellet is made by wiping priming compound over a plate to fill a matrix of holes.  The cups and anvils are shaken into a plate each and can only go in one way.  The cups and priming compound are placed together and then a plate full of punches are placed over it.  The punches seat the priming pellet then a similar setup seats the sealing paper.  Then they go to drying. After drying the anvils are seated similarly then they go for final sizing by running through a punch and die like a cast bullet sizer (tho automated.) it’s tooling heavy, but the process is faster.

A Rimfire round has to use a slightly wetter compound and each individual case has to be spun to get the compound into the rim of the case. The machinery is more complex.
Mechanically maybe slightly simpler, but making (or acquiring) 3 discrete parts is still more involved than 2 parts. Even if one of the two parts is more complicated and you are neglecting labor. Even "automated" processes need labor to load the machine, take stuff off machine, move stuff from point A to B in the plant, ect.  That also neglects any labor for QC of individual components, or maintenance staff. It is (and has been for quite some time now) very difficult to get reliable and skilled labor.
chiz1180
chiz1180

LeadDispenser likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 9/5/2023, 5:31 pm

Black_Talon wrote:When I see Remington 148gr HBWC's available again for sale, I'll know everything is really back to normal! :)
Maybe never?  I have a 1/2 case left. In searching for more factory found Magtech Sport, 148gr wadcutter. It is 25.00 a. Box. Bought some. Looks nice.Have yet to Ransom Rest it, but might be worth a look.
If you reload, the Star bullets are excellent when/if they have again.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 9/5/2023, 5:35 pm

Said Star but I meant Zero.
Thinking Star as I still have a few K left.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/6/2023, 6:03 pm

A comparison of 22 SV to primer  in the 80's and now (accord-ing to my memory ?!?) is something like:
Primers $70 for 5k 
and
22 SV around $150 for 5k
now
Primers $400 and .22 $450

The .22 was CCI from Grice Hdw and primers were on Commercial Row @ Perry.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/6/2023, 6:10 pm

Dollar cost averaging would be a good approch over thenext few weeks/months to return one's supply to normal.

Ron Habegger

Last edited by Colt711 on 9/6/2023, 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer)

Colt711

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fastshooter 9/26/2023, 2:13 pm

Hope things are getting better...

fastshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda4461 9/27/2023, 9:04 pm

Easy to be fulfilled, unless you need primers for a .300 Win Mag or any other cartridge using Magnum Large Rifle primers, not to mention slow burning powders by the keg 🤦‍�
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Post by oldrifle 10/28/2023, 11:06 am

They are not playing us if we don't buy. Still, I'm hoping that things have improved.

oldrifle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum