Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bullet lube

+3
chopper
Wobbley
Eindecker
7 posters

Go down

bullet lube Empty bullet lube

Post by Eindecker Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:28 pm

companies selling molds and bullets say that shallow lube grooves are fine becuase modern lube is "so much better" then what was available back in the day of kieth and skelton and the deep lube grooves. 

But I managed to pull a bullet out of my back stop, shot it loose actually, from my first range test of my 629 last month. NO lube was left in it, and the gun did not have any lube residue on the muzzle. a condistion the lyman handbook says is "not good".

SHould i be relubing my bullets with LLA as a temporary fix, lubricating the barrel itself with LLA as i have read others discuss doing, or just get bullets that have massive lube grooves?

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

bullet lube Empty Re: bullet lube

Post by Wobbley Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:32 pm

Try powder coated.  Done correctly it’s fairly bullet proof for all except the hottest magnum loads..
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:40 am

I use the tumble lube method and it works great, it's just a very thin coating of lube. The mixture is 45% LLA, 45% paste wax (Johnson), and 10% mineral spirits. You can buy it commercially made by White Label https://www.lsstuff.com/store/
 It takes very little to work good.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:42 am

honestly lube flies off the bullet most of the time often after it leaves the barrel.. done it's job by then so no big deal... a bit of missed lube on an occasional bullet is also no big deal. ask your self if you are having any leading?.. I certainly haven't using Donny's bullets
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:49 am

getting leading,,, 

in chambers and in forcing cone area. 

matts bullets seam to be kinda sticky.. i dont mind paying slightly more for bullets with better grooves or lube.. 

the matts bullets have a red crayon type lube in teh grooves, some incompletely filled ones,, and the rest of the bullet is rather slimy

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:58 pm

The really shallow grooves are for Lee Liquid Alox, which is a lube where you put the Lead bullets in a margarine tub, dribble a couple drops of a very liquid lube in, and swish them around.  This lube also works fine on the Lead bullets with deep grooves.  This is a very different product of the former Alox corporation, now the Lubrizol corporation.  IIRC, it is Alox 606, and is thinned way down with mineral spirits.  These dip lubes can be un-noticeable on the bullet, and do not give a lube star on the muzzle.  

Older design bullet molds usually had deep lube grooves, for a waxy or greasy compound that was referred to as a lube, but really was more of an anti-flux.  There are other compounds used, but the most common was one recommended by NRA,  50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F.  Lubrizol stopped making Alox 2138F, so for many years it has been made with Alox 350, and then Lubrizol stopped making that, and I have no idea what equivalent is used today.  Many low performance commercially cast bullets were sold with hard wax in the lube grooves that held on like grim death.  The people that taught me to cast bullets said the best lube for a Lead bullet was really soft, and Centripetal forces usually departs the grooves at the muzzle.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:04 am

I was having leading issues with soft swaged lead bullets in my 1911 .38spl.
I read about Rooster Jacket Lube which is a liquid bullet lube with similar properties to J&J liquid floor wax. 
I put a hand full of 148gr HBWCs in a plastic ice cream tube drizzled some Rooster Jacket over the bullets put the lid on and swirled them around in the lube, when fully coated I took them out and stood them on a tray over night to dry which takes about 8hrs. They should be completely dry before you load them.
The thing I noticed when I went to clean the plastic tube was that there were shinny particles in the bottom of the tube, close examination revealed lead shards in the left over lube.
You would be surprised at how much loose lead is on swaged bullets which ends up attached to the inside of your pistol barrel.

I now use Rooster Jacket liquid lube on all my swaged bullets and my leading problems have disappeared.
I would think any liquid bullet lube would do the same thing, wash the loose lead off the swaged bullets, a little extra lube doesn't hurt anything either.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 am

Eindecker wrote:getting leading,,, 

in chambers and in forcing cone area. 

matts bullets seam to be kinda sticky.. i dont mind paying slightly more for bullets with better grooves or lube.. 

the matts bullets have a red crayon type lube in teh grooves, some incompletely filled ones,, and the rest of the bullet is rather slimy
Check the throat diameters in the cylinder. One of my 44's is .433. Can't shoot anything but jacketed in it without filling it up with lead.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down