Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck?

+21
Magnusbullets
farmboy
Ghillieman
Ed Hall
Virgil Kane
Kermit Workman
Jerry Keefer
gitkrunk
C.Perkins
james r chapman
LenV
Axehandle
rvlvrlvr
MrBorland
Bill Treanor
dan allen
GrumpyOldMan
dronning
HenryA
DeweyHales
Rob Kovach
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

distinguished loads - Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck? - Page 3 Empty Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck?

Post by Rob Kovach 12/15/2013, 9:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok revolver lovers,

I consistently shoot worse with my revolver than my other guns--and I always shoot DR legal loads.

My buddy lent me his machine rest to use for developing my ammo.  It's not good!

If I shoot 148gr HBWCs in my gun they group <2" with a random flier a couple inches out of the group, but when I shoot LSWC or LRNs through it, I get some pretty big spreads.  5-7"!  There doesn't seem to be any consistency from cylinder to cylinder either.  One set of 6 shot has cyl 1 with a flier.  The next string has cyl 1 in the group but cyl 5 is a flier.  And every string had a lot of vertical stringing.

I switched to factory loads (ok Blazer 158 LRNs but it was the only DR legal stuff I could find) and it was about the same.

Is this about normal?  Are my expectations just too high?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

distinguished loads - Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck? - Page 3 Empty Re: Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck?

Post by Dr.Don 11/20/2015, 7:08 pm

I'm not much of a revolver guy, but I shot a DSR match with a borrowed gun (awful) and decided to see what my bone stock 4" S&W 66 would do out of a Ransom Rest.  I found one load that seems pretty good.  Magnus #516 158gr SWC, 3.6 gr TiteGroup, WSP primer, Fed brass, OAL=1.415", roll crimped.  I got 2.99" for 10 shots at 50yds out of the Ransom Rest.  Nine of them were in 2.22".  That is actually a tad better than the group it shot with factory Remington Targetmaster 148's.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

distinguished loads - Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck? - Page 3 Empty Re: Distinguished Revolver loads that don't suck?

Post by james r chapman 11/20/2015, 7:38 pm

That's unusual. The 148's normally shoot lights out. but,  what you shoot in a DSR is 158's and that looks like a good load.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RGK 11/27/2015, 10:22 pm

I've been shooting Blazer aluminum stuff and have been having excellent results in my M68 .38 S&W. No flyers and groups hovering around 3" at 50 yds. Not bad for cheap lead ball. 
Bob

RGK

Back to top Go down

Post by jbcustomleather 11/28/2015, 1:02 pm

Might check cyl throat diameters and range each cyl for alignment. You want all cylynders same diameter if possible and see if they range center to bbl. Just something to check.

jbcustomleather

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 11/29/2015, 2:38 pm

Off a sandbag 3 gr of WST with Mastercast 158 gr swc 1.445 oal shot under 1 inch at 50 ft. 5 rounds. Weather permitting I'll try it at 50 yds next sunday.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/30/2015, 12:09 am

50 feet isn't a tough matter. My testing showed excellent accuracy at 25 yards with most ammo. 50 yards is where it gets interesting.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3