Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area?

5 posters

Go down

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? Empty Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area?

Post by MuayThaiJJ Thu 5 Oct - 15:59

Anyone know what this is and if it should be a concern? thanks
Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? 20231005-112438

This was plated in hard chrome recently. I never noticed it before. Everything functions fine though.
MuayThaiJJ
MuayThaiJJ

https://www.youtube.com/@NickShootsStuff

Back to top Go down

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? Empty Re: Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area?

Post by Tripscape Thu 5 Oct - 16:04

Are you sure this is a crack? Looks like some metal was removed from the area, possibly to allow cylinder to move out. Maybe it is filed this way and what you think is a crack is small remains of filing?

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? Empty Re: Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area?

Post by Wobbley Thu 5 Oct - 16:28

Could be contained to the Frame Lug.   Since your gun is chrome plated, perhaps obtain one from a. %Stsinless N frame?

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? Img_0311
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Thu 5 Oct - 18:22

Yeah, looks like it was shaved down some, then cracked. Here's mine, which I believe unaltered:

Tiny crack on N-frame blast shield area? 20231010

Still not sure what it actually does.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu 5 Oct - 19:08

It stops the cylinder from moving to the rear when the extractor rod is pushed. In the S&W these are pressed in to the frame.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr Thu 5 Oct - 19:11

That is a pressed in piece. Its purpose is to keep the cylinder on the crane when it is swung out for loading/reloading. They are the cylinder stop, iirc.
The differences that can be seen are related to your cylinders, one cylinder has "supported" case rim's, and the othe cylinder has " exposed " case rim's.
I'm not sure that the piece in the o.p.'s photo is cracked, but it doesn't look to be the frame, but is the cylinder stop. Run it until it falls out, or replace now if you see fit. They once were inexpensive enough, but I cannot speak for recent pricing or availability
-ron

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Thu 5 Oct - 19:53

Thanks, guys! I learned something today!!!

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by MuayThaiJJ Thu 5 Oct - 19:55

Yes, thanks guys! I appreciate the quick feedback
MuayThaiJJ
MuayThaiJJ

https://www.youtube.com/@NickShootsStuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down