Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal?

+2
aub1957
Blazin
6 posters

Go down

S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal? Empty S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal?

Post by Blazin 10/10/2023, 3:13 pm

I'm setting up a revolver for EIC matches and just read the rules and am left a little unsure about something. I want to install the fine LPA adjustable rear sight, but Rule 4.1.3 a says "no external modification" which sounds like the LPA is a no-go. But Rule 4.1.3 e on sights says "adjustable open sights" are permitted. I guess I'm unsure how strictly the "no external modification" is meant.

Blazin

Back to top Go down

S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal? Empty Re: S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal?

Post by aub1957 10/10/2023, 3:50 pm

"They must be factory manufactured with no external or internal modification made to the revolver as manufactured and sold by the factory of origin, except as authorized in this rule. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or internally, nor may any part be added or modified, except for internal modifications to improve trigger functioning and accuracy and milling the cylinder to accommodate moon clips."

I would take the above wording to mean that if it isn't installed/originally sold as such by the factory, then it is a no go. I will say that the language in section "e" about sights is a bit confusing as it could lead one to think that sight modifications were allowed. Speaking as an editor, or someone who writes for a living, if I were writing these rules, I would clean those two sentences up.

"Sights may be fixed or adjustable open sights; optical sights are not permitted. Colored sights are permitted; the use of fiber optic or light enhancing or tritium inserts in sights is permitted."

aub1957

Blazin likes this post

Back to top Go down

S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal? Empty Re: S&W Revolver - LPA Rear Sight EIC Legal?

Post by james r chapman 10/10/2023, 5:46 pm

No. Factory irons only
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Blazin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda4461 10/10/2023, 6:33 pm

I assume this means that my 6” Colt Python cannot be used with a Wilson Combat rear sight?
Since the factory rear is basically useless for repeatability, I swapped in the Wilson, which is in effect an Elliason adjustable rear sight.
If so, no great loss. The K-14 has better factory sights from 60 years ago 😏
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/10/2023, 7:34 pm

NRA Dist rev is very specific.
Although it’s probably ok for NRA PPC Dist revolver!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 10/10/2023, 8:01 pm

Didn't the Python come with Elliason sights?
DP

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/10/2023, 8:08 pm

Most came with Accro.  The Accro has the lead inside the sight frame, the Elliason had the leaf at the very rear.  The Elliason sighted ones usually came with a partridge front rather than the ramp.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda4461 10/10/2023, 9:28 pm

This is a new stainless model, with the Rube Goldberg rear sight, held together with one .05” hex head plug screw. Adjusting it is a hit or miss proposition. Wilson fixes the problem.
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down