Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holy Smokes!

+10
RoyDean
CrankyThunder
djperry2
mikemyers
jc2721
Skid
SteveT
TonyH
Al
Wobbley
14 posters

Go down

Holy Smokes! Empty Holy Smokes!

Post by Wobbley 10/14/2023, 11:58 pm

According to the CMP, I took a third place at the CMP Fall Classic….

Holy Smokes! Img_0312

Not that my performance was “good”, but I’ll take this as encouragement nonetheless.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

BE Mike, james r chapman, willnewton, onlylead, Pinetree, Allgoodhits, djperry2 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Holy Smokes! Empty Re: Holy Smokes!

Post by Al 10/15/2023, 12:44 am

Way to go Ashley.
Congratulations.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/15/2023, 7:23 am

Awesome! Congrats!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/15/2023, 9:05 am

Awesome!
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 10/15/2023, 9:30 am

Congratulations Ashley !

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by jc2721 10/15/2023, 11:26 am

Congratulations!

jc2721

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/15/2023, 1:40 pm

So, how do you plan to celebrate?    :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/15/2023, 2:13 pm

mikemyers wrote:So, how do you plan to celebrate?    :-)
Buying more bullets, of course!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 10/15/2023, 3:36 pm

Way to go Ashley!! Congratulations!!

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 10/15/2023, 5:19 pm

Congratulations!

your sig partner should take you to a nice place for dinner and drinks to celebrate your accomplishment!
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/15/2023, 6:29 pm

Wobbley, well done indeed!

Sad to see such a small turnout for that CMP event. Only 7 shooters for the 2700? With AZ stalwart Tony first and PRGC Pistol Director Mike second in the open class.

And no doubt the CMP team hauled the target system all the way across country from Camp Perry. Meanwhile the nearby and wonderful PRGC 40 lane dedicated Bullseye range sits idle. Ho hum.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/15/2023, 7:50 pm

There were about ten.  Some didn’t shoot the entire 2700… but yeah.

By the Way, Tony Silva and Mike Yates were very nice.  As were the majority of my competitors.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 10/16/2023, 1:24 pm

Roy, who told you we are sitting idle? We have plenty of wonderful matches as the weather cools down a bit, we just shot NRA approved 2700 yesterday, and the AZ State Championship is in two weeks (and so far we have just 11 registrations!). The International State Championship is in November, and we only have 4 registrations so far. So if we are sitting idle, it's because someone here did not register for any of these matches Wink

(ugh, pardon for the shameless plug, I thought I'd provide the links here:
https://phoenixrodandgun.org/2023state
https://phoenixrodandgun.org/2023international

The problem with Western games participation is that a) it's in the middle of the week and b) for most people Ben Avery is a bit of a drive, and both 101 and I-17 usually get pretty busy during peak hours. I couldn't really excuse myself from work for a week and even if I could, driving to Ben Avery every day would be rather unpleasant experience (and mind you, I love driving, I drive to Perry every year and I enjoy it a lot). So I think CMP could do a bit better job with the schedule, if it was on weekend and the schedule was something more like multiple 900 relays each day followed by multiple NMC relays, we'd probably see more participation.

Ashley, congrats on your achievement, hope you can make it to our PRGC matches too Smile The more the merrier Smile

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse 10/16/2023, 1:32 pm

Congrats!

Grouse

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 10/16/2023, 1:44 pm

Eugene, of course I meant "relatively" idle specifically on the days of the CMP Fall Classic (which, if I'm not mistaken was at least partly on a weekend?). I agree that scheduling the pistol events at the CMP Western Games in March over several week days as well as the weekend has probably resulted in a low turnout so far. I understand that "the powers that be" are considering that.

PRGC has a very extensive roster of pistol events, good job by Mike, George, Eugene and others.

But I continue to hold the opinion that if CMP was able to hold the pistol matches for their Spring and Fall events at PRGC they would very likely attract a significantly better attendance and it would just be more convenient and comfortable for almost everyone. No doubt there are some logistical/management issues which I am not aware of. Just my 2c, as usual!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 10/16/2023, 1:47 pm

Yes, the CMP cold hold the pistol matches at the PRGC but that would mean splitting between PRGC and Ben Avery since our rifle range is not big enough to accommodate al the rifle shooters. So this would present even more logistical challenges, and probably will be even more expensive to the CMP.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/16/2023, 2:19 pm

I have it from good authority, that the CMP event will be held in the fall, not the spring from now on.  The rifle events, and the EIC pistol events had a bigger participation than the 2700.  In the case of rifle, it was way bigger.  Could the scheduling be better? Sure, but it wasn’t my call, and rifle has good participation so why not pistol?   Quite frankly, Bullseye isn’t that popular, at least not anymore.  For example Dallas Pistol Club in Texas used to be a very good range for Bullseye, but it’s now Action Pustol only.  Another example was recently at Cardinal.  They held an action pistol match there recently with 500+ competitors.  I don’t think even the Cardinal 4 Gun and Canton combined can match that.   So, Bullseye isn’t dying but it isn’t growing much either.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 10/16/2023, 2:57 pm

Wobbley wrote:I have it from good authority, that the CMP event will be held in the fall, not the spring from now on.  The rifle events, and the EIC pistol events had a bigger participation than the 2700.  In the case of rifle, it was way bigger.  Could the scheduling be better? Sure, but it wasn’t my call, and rifle has good participation so why not pistol?   Quite frankly, Bullseye isn’t that popular, at least not anymore.  For example Dallas Pistol Club in Texas used to be a very good range for Bullseye, but it’s now Action Pustol only.  Another example was recently at Cardinal.  They held an action pistol match there recently with 500+ competitors.  I don’t think even the Cardinal 4 Gun and Canton combined can match that.   So, Bullseye isn’t dying but it isn’t growing much either.
Quite frankly precision rifle matches tend to have greater participation than pistol events. Look at the air matches at Perry and Anniston, always more rifle than pistol. Same could be said for the National Matches in July. Rifle shooters are more interested in the EIC events than the 2700s because they want the additional Distinguished badge. Honestly most rifle shooters struggle with pistol, personally have seen this many times, doesn't tend to much crossover.

From a Match directing perspective, most pistol shooters won't travel past a certain radius for a typical match. For the matches that I run or help run typically the most people will drive is 1-2 hours max, and that is typically for a state match. Date/time also is a trick, you can not pick a date that works with all shooters schedules.

The Action vs Bullseye debate:
Take into account the cost to shoot a 2700, the ammo quality requirements are much higher than action. So figure ~$200 for ammo for a 2700 if you buy all factory ammo vs being able to shoot just about any off the shelf ammo in an action match at a fraction of the cost.

Back to the original topic at hand, congrats on your found success, it is great seeing people succeed.
chiz1180
chiz1180

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotwang 10/16/2023, 8:16 pm

chiz1180 wrote:
Wobbley wrote:  Another example was recently at Cardinal.  They held an action pistol match there recently with 500+ competitors.  I don’t think even the Cardinal 4 Gun and Canton combined can match that.   So, Bullseye isn’t dying but it isn’t growing much either.

The Action vs Bullseye debate:
Take into account the cost to shoot a 2700, the ammo quality requirements are much higher than action. So figure ~$200 for ammo for a 2700 if you buy all factory ammo vs being able to shoot just about any off the shelf ammo in an action match at a fraction of the cost.

That was the Handgun Nationals that was almost 100% iron sighted guns where the equipment runs from $700+ for a basic Production setup up to $5000+ for the best Limited setup.  The results show 478 shooters and a minimum round count of 424 (+chrono) rounds.  Some of this is off the shelf, most was reloaded carefully to meet the required power factor.  And there's no such thing as an alibi so you need quality ammo.  It was a lost brass match meaning you don't get to pick up your brass. 

There were two other Nationals with similar participation and round counts; at the Open and PCC Nationals the equipment is more than a typical bullseye setup.

The sports of Bullseye and USPSA are very different and there isn't a lot of crossover.  Like Rifle and Pistol the mechanics work against each other.

Rotwang

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 10/16/2023, 9:13 pm

Irrelevant of the cost of the gun you can load to power factor cheaper than you can for 50yard accuracy. My point was that for significantly less cost you can shoot an action match than a bullseye match. Speed vs precision is different 100%. But in an action match you can show up with a $700 gun and easily purchased and cheap ammo and have minimal disadvantage. Yes the equipment game is a thing in the action game for sure, but cost of entry for competitive equipment and ammo is significantly less. Same reason more people race Miatas than Vipers, cost of entry.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum