Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Clark, Senior 1958 .22 Pistol

+2
mikemyers
BE Mike
6 posters

Go down

Jim Clark, Senior 1958 .22 Pistol Empty Jim Clark, Senior 1958 .22 Pistol

Post by BE Mike 10/16/2023, 9:40 am

I thought that some folks would like to take a walk down bullseye pistol memory lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUuLWYfKyTU
BE Mike
BE Mike

PhotoEscape likes this post

Back to top Go down

Jim Clark, Senior 1958 .22 Pistol Empty Re: Jim Clark, Senior 1958 .22 Pistol

Post by mikemyers 10/16/2023, 10:36 am

Thanks for uploading.

I wish the videographer had asked them to set the gun down on the table, and walk around it capturing all the detail of the gun - but I'm always picky about things like that.

I have a list of "famous" bullseye shooters in my brain, and the ones I appreciate the most are those who wrote all their information down for books like The Pistol Shooter's Treasury.

That list is in my mind, and it keeps updating, and names I used to read about so often vanish into my memory banks as I get older.

I remember, one after another, watching all the Brian Zins videos, and try to understand them.  Also, people on this forum who seemed to know "everything", and once again I tried to understand them.  In retrospect, I'm sorry now I asked so many silly questions.  The person I communicate with now, the most, is Dave Salyer - and even with Dave, he told me things that sounded so silly I thought he was "pulling my leg", only to eventually find out that I had never properly understood him - such as Area Aiming.

Clark Custom Guns has a wonderful history, much of which I'm unaware of.  I think it was Kay Clark, now Kay Clark Miculek, who told me things that I "knew" were wrong, but I trusted her, and followed her advice, and she was right!  She was on the Clark Shooting Team at the time, and I bought a Clark barrel for my S&W Model 41.  She told me to dry-fire it all I wanted, despite the supposed fact that everyone says not to - maybe it's because of something special in the Clark Model 41 barrel, but she was right.  I never realized I could shoot that gun as well as I did with their barrel.

So much history for Bullseye Shooting.  As famous shooters die, and Internet forums filled with their advice vanish, along with much of the contents, it all seems so sad to me.  

Thanks, BE Mike, for posting things like this - memory lane is a fascinating place to visit!!!!

What in the world happened with Brian Zins?  He was always front and center in my view of "bullseye", and he was so open about teaching others, but I no longer see new information about him?
mikemyers
mikemyers

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/16/2023, 12:29 pm

Brian took a full time job that limits his ability to interface with shooting.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 10/16/2023, 7:24 pm

Hiya,
I remember these well, a buddy and I had 2 of them back in the ‘80’s. They were interesting guns, the overall quality was very good and the balance was muzzle heavy but not too much. The comp would build up a lot of carbon and lead that if let build up was somewhat difficult to clean out, I also remember the trigger having a lot of travel to reset between shots. I never found my groove with mine, ended up sending it down the road. I know the guy I sold it to didn’t have it long either. I still have the Richard Shockey Ruger I bought 40 years ago complete with it’s Aimpoint “Original” red dot. I’ll see if I can get a pic or 2 for people.

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/16/2023, 7:31 pm

Wobbley wrote:Brian took a full time job that limits his ability to interface with shooting.
Sigh, life has a way of interfering.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/16/2023, 8:22 pm

I absolutely love my mki Clark Ruger. Comp surprisingly very little build up using cci sv. Just looked after 500 rds. Clark steel trigger on mki is a short which I like. The Douglas barrel hammers out the X ring. Pistol is fantastic.  I shoot it a lot these days. Last practice 900 was 883. Probably die with this gun, it's really that nice. Thanks NYKENN for selling it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

BE Mike and troystaten like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 10/16/2023, 10:01 pm

Hiya,

Here’s the links to the pics of my R.L. Shockey Ruger.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ampm53DSMQMig7gYXFyOdMrUXmvfqA
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ampm53DSMQMig7gt_w4tz9-1c3-fDg

Note to Jon on the comp on my Clark, most likely it was the ammo we were using at the time that was the issue, Hanson (inexpensive Yugoslavian) was really popular as was Remington blue box target, I don’t remember many people using CCI std but it was 35 or so years ago…

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/17/2023, 8:52 am

I started my bullseye pistol journey around 1971 with a stock Ruger MK I with 5 1/2" bull barrel. I worked on the trigger some and bought walnut grips. I started as a marksman and worked my way slowly up. I sold the Ruger when a FFL buddy got me a great deal on a new Hi Standard Citation. These days, with so many aftermarket parts available and with the grip angle similar to a 1911, I might have retired with a Ruger MK IV.
BE Mike
BE Mike

usedkid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down