Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USAMU's Franken Hammerlis

+6
rich.tullo
Jack H
Jon Eulette
Froneck
Sa-tevp
hammerli
10 posters

Go down

USAMU's Franken Hammerlis Empty USAMU's Franken Hammerlis

Post by hammerli 11/6/2023, 9:56 pm

I have been reading with great interest the discussions about USAMU's Franken Hammerlis. I see from the pictures what appears to be a replacement barrel. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I would have thought an easier path would be to put in a barrel liner but I could be wrong.
I have a very old 208 International (late 70's model) and I am still shooting it. I am NOT blaming my pistol for my poor shooting now after 42 years but would love to know about these Hammerlis of the USAMU

Thank you

hammerli

Back to top Go down

USAMU's Franken Hammerlis Empty Re: USAMU's Franken Hammerlis

Post by Sa-tevp 11/7/2023, 8:13 pm

The AMU mounts replacement barrels.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

USAMU's Franken Hammerlis Empty USAMU's Franken Hammerlis

Post by hammerli 11/7/2023, 8:44 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:The AMU mounts replacement barrels.
Wow Sa-tevp I would love to try that but the Hammerli barrels are so well fitted it is almost impossible to get them off. I also think it would be a challenge to start with a barrel, fit it and then machine the exterior to match. Then the job of making the extractor cut. I mean well worth doing but not for the faint hearted.
Thank you for your response.

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/7/2023, 9:03 pm

Well. the AMU does have a lot of resources and experience. They are a lot of laps up on everyone.

I've found the people who have worked on thousands of firearms have some different observations and insights than those with experience on 10 or 100 firearms. Also, the military team armorers have access to decades of past research and development. A caveat is that you and I may not be hearing what people from these groups are saying, due to our experience and backgrounds.

I saw the same when I was involved in racing. Ford and General Motors had tons of engineering data stored away compared to some small shop making hot rod parts buying car magazine ads and articles. The aftermarket part may have a performance gain at the expense of reliability or other engineering compromise. Or maybe it was all advertising and stickers.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/8/2023, 8:12 am

As long as your machining process includes the correct thread timing and extractor cut*, swapping barrels isn't that big a deal.

* I had a gunsmith friend pull and replace the barrel on my 208s when I sent it to be relined.  It isn't 100% set, but it's nearly that and the gunsmith that did the reline, cut the extractor slot a little wide so it would function even if a little out of time.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 11/8/2023, 3:09 pm

My son shot the AMU 208 for quite a few years. Barrel liners were not good enough. They ordered barrels (have the maker someplace) and fitted them to the frame. Also did try a tight chambering reamer, 50 yard group was outstanding, less that dime size group if my memory is correct but reliability was not good, failed to feed often.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/8/2023, 4:23 pm

My AMU built 208S with the replacement barrel and two rails (irons and optics) shot reliably with everything I shot through it; Aguila, CCI, RWS, ELEY, Federal. Chamber was not tight.
I have owned several Sams lined barrels and they all shoot reliably and exceptionally.

I would not hesitate to recommend a lined 208 barrel. They shoot better than factory at 50 yds.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/8/2023, 9:32 pm

What's wrong with an original 208s barrel?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 11/8/2023, 10:15 pm

Nothing is wrong with original 208 barrel. But the AMU is shooting at least an 1800 every day, 5 days a week. Then on some weekends they go to a match. Simply put they wear out the original barrels so they need to be replaced.

Froneck

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 11/9/2023, 10:11 am

+1 Sams best way to go,
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/9/2023, 5:40 pm

rich.tullo wrote:+1 Sams best way to go,

Which raises the question of why did the AMU fit new barrels instead of lined barrel?

I have a S&W M41 5.5" barrel that was lined by Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision and was very impressed by the service, craftsmanship and performance. I also have a Clark M41 barrel that is very good.

So why did the AMU go for rebarreling?
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/9/2023, 5:57 pm

They have the DOD budget for resources.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

mbmshooter and dieselguy624 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 11/15/2023, 7:04 pm

Specialized full length Bomar iron sight rails, custom barrels or liners, 1911 conversion grips, custom weights, and beavertail extensions. These guns are very much tuned and refurbished and can hit the X ring all day, and reliability is unquestionable. Budget is never a question, parts are stocked if not made by gunsmith's with generations of knowledge and experience and machines to do anything. The shooters abilities that are using these pistols are also impressive. I wonder if an XESSE can be modified to a similar degree as these 208's? (I want to upgrade the sights on my XESSE to something like the Pardini, Matchgun, or Walther with the wider adjustable notch and not mounted to the slide.)

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/16/2023, 6:14 pm

Sc0 wrote:Specialized full length Bomar iron sight rails, custom barrels or liners, 1911 conversion grips, custom weights, and beavertail extensions. These guns are very much tuned and refurbished and can hit the X ring all day, and reliability is unquestionable.  Budget is never a question, parts are stocked if not made by gunsmith's with generations of knowledge and experience and machines to do anything.  The shooters abilities that are using these pistols are also impressive.  I wonder if an XESSE can be modified to a similar degree as these 208's?  (I want to upgrade the sights on my XESSE to something like the Pardini, Matchgun, or Walther with the wider adjustable notch and not mounted to the slide.)

If I remember correctly after finding out that the LPA rear sight on my Hammerli X-esse was not linear in the adjustments (Some clicks could go either way) I tried to map out the slide cut and then what could be installed. I don't remember finding anything that could fit the original cut and I don't remember finding anything that would fit a simple day in a machine shop.

It may be easier to find someone to make a Bo-Mar type with sights that clamp onto the barrel dovetail groove.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Sc0 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/17/2023, 9:49 am

My original Ruger had a rear sight that would move varying distances up and down due to unequal ridges in the elevation screw.  I took a fine scribe and made witness marks on the side of the sight so I could see the movement and be able to judge whether it was indeed moving as I wished.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 11/17/2023, 4:20 pm

I also have 'something' that moves one way, then stops and moves the other for a couple clicks. Head of the screw, and/or the indentations for the clicks aren't square to the thread.

Took awhile to figure that out. Infuriating.

Family friend when I was a kid: "If you're going to get something, get the best".

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down