Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston, MA

+2
Wobbley
john bickar
6 posters

Go down

Boston, MA Empty Boston, MA

Post by Jambat 11/16/2023, 2:58 pm

I'm considering a job opportunity in Boston. I'm not a US citizen so I would be under a work visa.
I've been working and shooting in Texas for a long time a couple years ago and I understand Massachusetts is not as accommodating.

Would a non-citizen resident be allowed to have pistols?
Are air guns regulated also ?

Jambat

Back to top Go down

Boston, MA Empty Re: Boston, MA

Post by Zippy 11/16/2023, 3:47 pm

I live in Mass, I don't know for sure on traditional propellant driven guns (smokeless powder) but I have an acquaintance who is on a green card and was able to get a permit. Here behind the "iron curtain" you need a concealed carry for all pistols and most long guns / shotguns. There is a lower classification card called a FID, allows for purchase of ammo but if you were to get one I'd focus on CCW. 
Air guns are not regulated so that is not a problem. There is a ton of info on NES - https://www.northeastshooters.com/. Issue rates depend upon the town but you should be able to query based upon where you will be living, lets just hope that it is not Boston proper as they are a PITA.
Finally there are lots of gun clubs and many participate in weekly bullseye leagues.

Zippy

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 11/16/2023, 4:41 pm

Is the Greater Boston Pistol League still a thing? Many years ago I shot on the Woburn Sportsmen's Association team.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/16/2023, 7:57 pm

If you are an immigrant with a “Green Card” you can usually purchase firearms as you are considered a “US person”.   As a temporary worker on a visa, you’re essentially in a special case.  There is a member here who has successfully navigated the labyrinth to obtain pistols.  Perhaps he can help you with info.  But here is a website with some info.

https://www.washingtongunlaw.com/non-immigrant-visas-and-firearms

You used to have to get a certification from your consulate that you do  not have a “record” that would make you a US Federal prohibited person.  State laws may try to enforce some rule or made up law, but those can be easily quashed.  Massachusetts is NOT firearms friendly.  Can you work in Mass but live in New Hampshire?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 11/16/2023, 9:38 pm

Jambat,

I have sent you a PM.

I have no experience or knowledge specific to Boston, MA. But I am very familiar with the process in a couple of other states.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 11/16/2023, 10:31 pm

I went through that in Ca while on an H1b visa. Lotsa fun. They really don't make it easy (surprise surprise) but it should be possible.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy 11/17/2023, 7:27 am

Bullseye in Mass is alive and well, we have about a dozen different leagues running around the state, best bet would be to head over to one of the clubs in your area and ask around. There are also matches, indoors right now but several clubs run 1800/2700 in the summer. Most of them are in neighboring states however.

Zippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jambat 11/17/2023, 9:05 am

Wobbley wrote:https://www.washingtongunlaw.com/non-immigrant-visas-and-firearms
I read that and it seems that the rules for foreigners are the same in MA and TX. I'm surprised, but if there is no extra layer of local regulations, it makes this job offer even more appealing.

What does PITA mean?

Jambat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy 11/17/2023, 10:08 am

pain-in-the-a$$

Zippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy 11/17/2023, 10:10 am

Long wait for approval, requirement for monitored qualification, letters of recommendation, requirement that one must join a club, etc.

Zippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy 11/17/2023, 10:14 am

If you're in Mass I highly recommend joining GOAL - https://goal.org/. It the Mass specific 2A organization and we're a commonwealth and not a state the NRA does not operate here.

Zippy

john bickar and Fezzik68 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 11/17/2023, 1:30 pm

As per Wobbly earlier - most of the shooters I know in that part of the world live in Nashua and the environs and commute. If the new job is north of Boston then I'd recommend that. Cheaper housing as well.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum