Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Break-in New 1911 Barrel

+2
tomd999
lanjo
6 posters

Go down

Break-in New 1911 Barrel Empty Break-in New 1911 Barrel

Post by lanjo 12/9/2023, 11:24 pm

Hi All,

Just got a new barrel installed on my 1911. How many rounds should I put through it to break it in before ransom resting for an accuracy test?  Also, does anyone condition a new barrel?

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Break-in New 1911 Barrel Empty Re: Break-in New 1911 Barrel

Post by tomd999 12/11/2023, 8:07 pm

Hiya,

Pistol barrels don't need to be "broken-in" like a high power rifles, especially if you're shooting lead, the more important aspect to a new barrel fitting is if the pistol is 100% reliable. Take it out to the range and put some rounds through it, make sure it runs, if it doesn't, take it back to get it fixed. 

As far as Ransom testing, a properly fit pistol should go thousands of rounds before the group size degrades so you shouldn't have to worry about when you test. However, I say that only if it was fit and timed properly so that parts aren't binding, wearing abnormally and opening up clearances that may affect group size. 

I have a LB made 1911 that shot 1" at 25 and about 3" 5 shot groups at 50 in a Ransom when I got it. Problem was it couldn't fire 10 rounds without a stoppage. I ended up giving it to Mike Larocca to refit the barrel as when he inspected it he found the barrel bushing was binding, the lower link hole was oval, the lower lugs were not fully contacting the slide stop pin and were peining, the hood was too short, the crown wasn't properly done and the upper lugs were too shallow. After he welded and refit the barrel, replaced the link, adjusted the break-over angle and recrowned, the pistol slides in and out of lockup with no hint of binding but it also has no slop, it shoots better groups now and it functions all the time, which is better than alibis and saved rounds. Proper barrel fitment is critical.

tomd999

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 12/11/2023, 9:42 pm

My experience with rifle barrels.... it's nothing but copper fouling.

Bad chambering jobs.... ugly rough throats because they don't take the time to clean the reamer ...

'Time is money'

The ones I do for myself... no blue blue patches... no copper.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/12/2023, 6:59 am

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

Just got a new barrel installed on my 1911. How many rounds should I put through it to break it in before ransom resting for an accuracy test?  Also, does anyone condition a new barrel?

Best,

Joe
Test it now, but use high quality ammo.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 12/12/2023, 7:53 am

BE Mike wrote:
lanjo wrote:Hi All,

Best,

Joe
Test it now, but use high quality ammo.
I would agree with Mike, but use high quality ammo that you would actually shoot in a match. It makes no sense to test Atlanta/Zero factory ammo if you only plan to shoot reloads.
chiz1180
chiz1180

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AHI 12/12/2023, 4:54 pm

I usually put 3 to 500 rounds through a new gun before testing. During that time zero the sights , function test ,etc.

AHI

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down