Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel

4 posters

Go down

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel Empty Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel

Post by Allgoodhits 12/10/2023, 10:58 am

Question for my gunsmith friends.

I have a 1911 which has a Bar-Sto barrel. This barrel has an enlarged ring or collar near the muzzle. When ordering the EGW gunsmith fit bushing for this type of barrel should it be straight or angle bore? I have done other barrel/bushing/slide fitments, but this will be the first on one of these barrels.

Thanks in advance

Martin
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel Empty Re: Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel

Post by PMcfall 12/10/2023, 3:54 pm

This year I dug out my old ball gun that has a Barsto barrel and has had thousands of full bore hardball thru it and didn't like the way it was shooting.  Sent it in to Dave Salyer.  He found the bushing was worn out but thought the barrel was still good to go.  He fit a Kart bushing to it.  Here are the 50 yard results when I got it back.  Dave was right, the barrel is good to go.

Most if not all our 45 barrels have the dog knot near the muzzle, at least all of mine do.  One of our gunsmiths will chime in soon.   Your barrel should be good to go, it is a quality barrel
Phil

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel 7
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel Empty Re: Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel

Post by Allgoodhits 12/10/2023, 5:38 pm

PMcfall wrote:This year I dug out my old ball gun that has a Barsto barrel and has had thousands of full bore hardball thru it and didn't like the way it was shooting.  Sent it in to Dave Salyer.  He found the bushing was worn out but thought the barrel was still good to go.  He fit a Kart bushing to it.  Here are the 50 yard results when I got it back.  Dave was right, the barrel is good to go.

Most if not all our 45 barrels have the dog knot near the muzzle, at least all of mine do.  One of our gunsmiths will chime in soon.   Your barrel should be good to go, it is a quality barrel
Phil

Bushing type and fitting for Bar-Sto barrel 7

That's my assessment. I noticed Garrett in your notes. Was the gun built by Robert Garrett at NVGW?
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 12/10/2023, 5:42 pm

Actually, Sandy built it me in the early 80’s.  Maybe 1982.  I think NVGW hadn’t been born yet.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 12/10/2023, 6:01 pm

PMcfall wrote:Actually, Sandy built it me in the early 80’s.  Maybe 1982.  I think NVGW hadn’t been born yet.
Phil

Sandy has been building guns for me since 1978. He then was working from his home in Springfield. I think you are correct, they opened NVGW up on Fullerton Rd sometime in the mid 1980s. Still there!
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 12/10/2023, 6:07 pm

Sandy is the real deal!
PMcfall
PMcfall

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 12/14/2023, 2:00 pm

I guess it was a bad question. Oh well.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 12/14/2023, 2:18 pm

If it is a radiused ring like on a S&W 52, a straight bushing would be best

If it is as I described, minimum bushing to barrel clearance would be desirable.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/15/2023, 8:27 am

Allgoodhits wrote:I guess it was a bad question. Oh well.
You might get a better result by contacting Bar-Sto. (605) 720-4000.
BE Mike
BE Mike

PMcfall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 12/15/2023, 6:44 pm

FWIW, EGW did get back to me. They suggested the angle bore bushing instead of the straight bore for this application. I have ordered same. We will see. I have done several gunsmith fit angle bore bushings, but none were on a BarSto barrel with that barrel feature.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down