Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading 45acp

+21
BE Mike
Merick
rburk
Arthur
chiz1180
targetbarb
Cmysix
Randy_D
funski
messenger
troystaten
Rodger Barthlow
NukeMMC
PhotoEscape
Wobbley
L. Boscoe
Pinetree
1911-45
Allgoodhits
RoyDean
Dlakejr2876
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reloading 45acp - Page 2 Empty Reloading 45acp

Post by Dlakejr2876 Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

A little birdie told me a Dillion 750 press is the way to go.   If I wanted to purchase “everything”to start reloading this week.   What are the must haves?

Dlakejr2876

Back to top Go down

Reloading 45acp - Page 2 Empty Re: Reloading 45acp

Post by Rodger Barthlow Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:22 pm

Cmysix wrote:Thoughts on a 350, 450? got a guy has one rusting in the shed has everything, just can't seem to make his mind up on how much?
I have a 450 set up as my primary .45acp press and is a monster for strength and durability.
You can convert it to 550 with a powder measure kit for progressive reloading. I think it makes better ammo then a 550B with the quick change head that seems to be loose.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Wes Lorenz and Cmysix like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:37 pm

I personally feel that anybody just starting into re-loading ammunition should never start with a progressive press until they have a basic understanding of the entire process of loading safe and accurate ammunition!!!!!!!!! There are too many things that can get a new re-loader into trouble.  If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but i suggest you checkout the RCBS Reloading forum and read some of the absolutely stupid questions asked and some of the stupid answers also given there from the TACTICOOL GANG!!!!

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:10 pm

Questions asked because of ignorance aren't stupid in my book. That's how we learn. I wish it would have been so easy to ask questions and get answers when I started out reloading, like it is now. Without computers, most of the answers were in the front of reloading manuals or other reading material, but you had to wade through a lot of material to get to the specific answer that you were looking for. I will agree that there are a lot of stupid opinions on the internet. Many of them are from novices who don't know what they don't know. Most of the questions here are asked by intelligent folks that are willing to learn and most of the answers are from those who have been there and done that. Someone who is considering a progressive press hasn't been scared away from them, but have considered the patience and skill necessary to assemble, set up and operate them. If it were that hard, Dillon wouldn't still be in business. They offer videos and excellent support. It looks like Dillon has at least three videos on YouTube regarding the 750, totaling about an hour and a half. I'll bet that they've heard every possible question more than once, too!
BE Mike
BE Mike

troystaten, Allgoodhits and DA/SA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:02 am

The Dillon 750 is a great choice for a press.

Minimum requirements should be:
1. Press
2. Die set
3. Powder scale (preferably electric)
3. Primer flipping tray if one doesn’t come with the press
4. A mount that raises press up off the bench
5. Dial calipers

That is the bare bones needed. Of course there are many more tools that will help make things easier or faster, like a case feeder for example.

A word of caution, I have reloaded rifle cartridges for NRA highpower rifle competition for about 20 years. When I recently picked up a progressive press I set up all the dies and everything then only loaded one round at a time until I got comfortable and familiar with the machine. Not trying to discourage you from using a progressive, but want to encourage you to take a crawl, walk, run approach. Enjoy your new press.
-Trevor

hengehold

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:27 pm

I am a firm believer in starting out with single stage presses. Check everything, then re-check. My cousin just started reloading; this is his technique. He begins by filling a case loading block with empty cases on the left side of his press. Then as he resizes, placing them in another block on the right side of the press. Next, he primes them and places them back on the left side base up. When he fills that block with primed cases he rubs a finger tip over the primers to make sure they are all slightly below level. Next he dumps powder, moving over to the other block. When he has powder in all of the cases he double fills a case, and compares the powder lever against all of the others using a flashlight. He never lets go of the double charged case until he dumps it back into the powder measure. And so on. He is slow and super careful. It's a great way to begin. Good luck with your reloading journey. Be safe and never confuse quantity with quality.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:39 pm

Way too complicated,   clean however many cases I pull out of the once fired bucket, clean dry, RESIZE all of them. bell the case mouth ALL of them. Prime ALL of them,  Now one at a time, drop powder, look in case, bullet and seat and crimp.
Cmysix
Cmysix

brdrgrd and troystaten like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2