Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School me on primer sensitivity

5 posters

Go down

School me on primer sensitivity  Empty School me on primer sensitivity

Post by hengehold January 16th 2024, 12:49 pm

I have a gun (1911) that has an off-center primer strike and is not working well with some primers. Apparently some primers are easier to detonate (Federal) than others (such as CCI). 

Apparently this is also an issue for revolvers? 

Does anyone have a list of brands that are to be avoided as well as brands that are best To use with off center primer strikes?

hengehold

Back to top Go down

School me on primer sensitivity  Empty Re: School me on primer sensitivity

Post by PMcfall January 16th 2024, 1:21 pm

I don't know anything about off center, but I think Federal and Winchester are considered to be the softer primers.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

hengehold and 14S&W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike January 16th 2024, 2:40 pm

I've found that Servicio Adventuras primers from Argentina require an extra amount of umph when seating. There is a theory that having a primer strike slightly off center actually aids in ignition due to more primer compound being exposed to the primer anvil when struck by the firing pin or striker.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

School me on primer sensitivity  Empty Primer on Primers! It's lengthily but informative

Post by jjfitch January 16th 2024, 4:22 pm

hengehold wrote:I have a gun (1911) that has an off-center primer strike and is not working well with some primers. Apparently some primers are easier to detonate (Federal) than others (such as CCI). 

Apparently this is also an issue for revolvers? 

Does anyone have a list of brands that are to be avoided as well as brands that are best To use with off center primer strikes?

Google: "Primer Info & Chart + Milspec Primers for Semi-Autos & Other Primer Applications"

Last edited by jjfitch on January 16th 2024, 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger January 16th 2024, 4:31 pm

My friend who built some of my guns told me that a 1911 that has off center primer strikes is due to improper barrel fitting. All my 1911's hit in the center. The only guns I have with light strikes are my revolvers. I do have a Sig 365 that doesn't like hard primers. I only shoot Federal primers in my revolvers.

Bill
messenger
messenger

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down