Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Insurance

+4
NYKenn
RoyDean
Amanda4461
LenV
8 posters

Go down

Looking for Insurance Empty Looking for Insurance

Post by LenV Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:34 pm

I'm looking for someone/someplace to insure my guns. I had a insurer for the last 20 years that actually spoke our language. They are no longer in this market. I tried Travelers and they worked fine until I sold one to buy another. That made me a dealer and they didn't want to insure someone who was in the business of buying and selling guns. Their words not mine. I don't even have an FFL. So, does anyone know a good place to insure a collection of Bullseye pistols? I might have a couple of rifles too.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Looking for Insurance Empty Re: Looking for Insurance

Post by Amanda4461 Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:27 pm

I use State Farm. I buy, sell, trade. A bunch, as I am fickle and always looking for old, high luster blued models. I send my agent a description, serial number and a copy of the paid invoice if I have one. Otherwise, I just tell him what I paid or the comparable price if traded. No issues. It is a Personal Articles Policy, attached to my HomeOwners policy.
Of course, the NRA offers a gun policy, but while Wayne the ripoff artist was being pampered, I never gave those idiots a dime.
Amanda4461
Amanda4461

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:25 pm

Len,

I've used this guy for a few years now - came highly accredited at the time - but I have never had to make a claim, so who knows?

Cole Cushman
Gun & Trophy Insurance
Comprehensive Gun and Trophy Policies for Hunters, Sportsmen, Competitors, Collectors, and More
 www.gunandtrophy.com
Phone: 571-352-7097
Email: cole@gunandtrophy.com

RoyDean

paulj likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:49 pm

Thanks for those suggestions. I will look into both those suggestions tomorrow. I've had others mention Gun and Trophy. 

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:49 am

I have the NRA insurance.
Used one time 30+ years ago with no issues before or after. The insurance through NRA is less than 1/2 of that I have been quoted elsewhere. It also requires less paperwork and documentation. 
Always read the fine print.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

LenV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 am

No idea if this is any good or not, but believe it a relatively new development/partnership between an insurer and CMP:

Tailored insurance for the CMP Community - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Just FYI, I've not researched this one at all. Just posting for visibility.

-Chase

Last edited by Chase Turner on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : words is hard)

Chase Turner

Amanda4461, LenV and paulj like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by paulj Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 pm

Another vote for Gun and Trophy.

paulj

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:52 pm

I went with Gun and Trophy. I was a little hesitant because the price was so reasonable. I did my due diligence with a couple of hours spent in front of a computer then pulled the trigger. So to speak. It was less than 25% of what I was paying Travelers.

Len
LenV
LenV

Gustavo1957 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:40 am

Back to the basics question on this topic --

I have one pistol, which retails for $700 or so. Not a huge collection, lol. At what point should I consider getting special insurance for my pistol? Does it need to be more than what is covered by a typical homeowners policy?
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 pm

SaraiEsq wrote:Back to the basics question on this topic --

I have one pistol, which retails for $700 or so.  Not a huge collection, lol.  At what point should I consider getting special insurance for my pistol?  Does it need to be more than what is covered by a typical homeowners policy?

The basics of any insurance is that you want to purchase as much as you do not want to, or can not, pay out of your own pocket. Things like medical and liability payouts can easily bankrupt someone so insurance for those is an obvious need.  Material things like guns in our example would be your own personal choice.  While $700 is not insignificant, you would need to compare that with the cost of the insurance plus any deductible. If your deductible is $500 I can’t imagine it would be worth the hassle to get specific insurance. As your collection grows, you will probably want insurance though. $2000-$3000 of value would seem like a reasonable starting point. Keeping in mind that if you have a bullseye box with a few guns plus all the extras, that adds up pretty quickly. Travel with guns is also part of your equation.  I have several competition specific guns that are out of my house all of the time so I would say there is more risk in losing those.  I have a couple of collectibles and even more hunting guns but those do not leave the house all that much.  They are stored in a fireproof room at home so relatively safe from fire/natural disasters.  The first thoughts of most people would be to insure everything for the max value but weighing the risk of losing certain guns along with their specific value could have some influence n the policy you get.

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:15 pm

Gun and Trophy make it simple. One fee for 24,000 dollars worth of guns and another flat fee for 48,000 worth. Doesn't cost much more for 48 than 24. They won't even start if you don't have 1,000 worth. Over 48k policies require serial numbers and inventory lists. Below 48k you just need to provide info if you have a claim. Of course it behooves you to have detailed records and off-site backup.
LenV
LenV

Amanda4461, dieselguy624 and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum