Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Molded Ear Plugs

+11
RodJ
rburk
sturitter
sbtzc
-TT-
BE Mike
PhotoEscape
ScottB
Pinetree
mspingeld
Jwhelan939
15 posters

Go down

Molded Ear Plugs Empty Molded Ear Plugs

Post by Jwhelan939 Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:51 am

i did a search and found a bunch on ear pro, but nothing on customs. Have any of you had an audiologist fit plugs? Any noticeable benefits over foam or diy customs like decibullz?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Molded Ear Plugs Empty Re: Molded Ear Plugs

Post by mspingeld Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 am

I had a pair made at Camp Perry several years ago. They work and fit well but I wouldn't wear them without muffs, particularly when shooting indoors. I believe foam has the highest protection value but I find them difficult to put in and uncomfortable. The Decibuls are intriguing but I haven't tried them. (Note: I recommend some kind of plugs AND muffs, indoors or out. Save your hearing and enjoy the quiet, even during 45 rapid)

mspingeld
Admin

Al, Steve B and Jwhelan939 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:10 am

mspingeld wrote:I had a pair made at Camp Perry several years ago. They work and fit well but I wouldn't wear them without muffs, particularly when shooting indoors. I believe foam has the highest protection value but I find them difficult to put in and uncomfortable. The Decibuls are intriguing but I haven't tried them. (Note: I recommend some kind of plugs AND muffs, indoors or out. Save your hearing and enjoy the quiet, even during 45 rapid)
Thank you. I’ve tried foam plugs under my muffs and it gives me vertigo. Not sure why, but it kills my equilibrium. Hoping the custom fits may not give me that issue. Either way I have an audiologist Appt to talk about it. Was just curious if other's experience.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:15 am

I once had some made and didn't think they worked as well as the yellow foam type.. got my money back.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:46 am

Local gun store used to have a company come in a couple of times a year and make custom molded ear plugs.  E.A.R Inc was the name of the company - https://earinc.com/

I bought a pair and I'm very satisfied with them.  Foam ear plugs have a tendency to work out of my right ear but I don't have that problem with the molded ones.

In my experience the noise reduction was better than I ever had with the foam ear plugs but it could be because I couldn't get a good fit with them.

They weren't cheap, but I think they are worth every penny I paid for them.
ScottB
ScottB

paul noles, Jwhelan939 and Cmysix like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:51 am

I also had custom plugs made while at Perry.  They fit quite well, and I'm able to wear them without muffs, even indoor.  Only when someone is blasting high power rifle(s) next to me, I need addition of muffs.  Otherwise on the line I would not hear commands if I am to wear both.  I find them quite comfortable too.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:01 am

I had some made at Camp Perry many years ago. They were ok, but as I recall, they seemed to shrink just a tad after a while. I shoot mainly indoors now and wear foam plugs under electronic muffs. I like this combo.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Jwhelan939 and dieselguy624 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:25 am

BE Mike wrote:They were ok, but as I recall, they seemed to shrink just a tad after a while.

It's not the plugs, it's your ears! The cartilage changes over time, even in the canal. The best local guy around here (MA/NH) has a lanyard with a dozen of his own, made for his ears over the past decade or two. There's quite a difference! He recommends replacing every other year.

I love my molded plugs, and use them without muffs. When I was fitted, he has a card with checkboxes for color, lanyards, etc but it has one additional question: "Can you wiggle your ears?". I checked yes and he asked me to wiggle, and said he would make mine extra-long. They depend on making a seal within the canal, and people who can wiggle their ears will have this happen more than others. They work really well with only an infrequent tug to keep them fully sealed.
-TT-
-TT-

BE Mike, Jwhelan939, Pinetree, PhotoEscape and ScottB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:17 am

Disposable silicone swimming plugs.

They're cheap. Find them at the pharmacy.  Mold them to cover you ear canal, not in the canal. They work fine for outdoor .22 alone. Under muffs for center fire and .45.
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by sturitter Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am

I had a pair molded at the VA audiology center in Denver. They did not work as well as foam plugs but are acceptable under a pair of good muffs. I wear them when I practice by myself or with one or two others shooting but when on a full firing line I revert to the foam/muff combination.

sturitter

http://www.sturitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:06 pm

I have custom molded plugs that I use under Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs at outdoor matches.  When I have the muffs turned on, I can hear the range commands clearly with the molded plugs in.  I can't hear normal conversation with this arrangement, even with the muffs turned on.  I like the plugs because they are easy to remove when scoring, and I can quickly put them back in when walking back to the line.

I always double up (muffs and plugs).  For indoor practice, I use foam plugs under the highest rated Howard Leight muffs.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:18 pm

I found these ear plugs and they’re excellent but i do double up with electronic Sordins. The foam in these plugs is amazing. Very different than the yellow and even other orange colored plugs. Rolled tight and slide into the canal it’s as close to silent as I’ve ever gotten. Note gel cups on ear muffs are very helpful protecting the bones around your ears from impulse.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 pm

Molded Ear Plugs 71398510[/url]

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 pm

rburk wrote:I always double up (muffs and plugs).  For indoor practice, I use foam plugs under the highest rated Howard Leight muffs.
 +1 same here (hear...haha).  Me old auricles aren't getting better and it is better to preserve what's left.  Hearing loss increases the probability of dementia, so there is another reason to take every precaution.
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:17 am

-TT- wrote:
BE Mike wrote:They were ok, but as I recall, they seemed to shrink just a tad after a while.

It's not the plugs, it's your ears! The cartilage changes over time, even in the canal. The best local guy around here (MA/NH) has a lanyard with a dozen of his own, made for his ears over the past decade or two. There's quite a difference! He recommends replacing every other year.

I love my molded plugs, and use them without muffs. When I was fitted, he has a card with checkboxes for color, lanyards, etc but it has one additional question: "Can you wiggle your ears?". I checked yes and he asked me to wiggle, and said he would make mine extra-long. They depend on making a seal within the canal, and people who can wiggle their ears will have this happen more than others. They work really well with only an infrequent tug to keep them fully sealed.
Interesting. I knew that my ears have kept growing over the years, but never considered that the ear canal would grow bigger. I now have to make sure to stuff all my ear into my ear muffs!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:14 pm

rburk wrote:I have custom molded plugs that I use under Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs at outdoor matches.  When I have the muffs turned on, I can hear the range commands clearly with the molded plugs in.  I can't hear normal conversation with this arrangement, even with the muffs turned on.  I like the plugs because they are easy to remove when scoring, and I can quickly put them back in when walking back to the line.

I always double up (muffs and plugs).  For indoor practice, I use foam plugs under the highest rated Howard Leight muffs.
I've been doing something like this with decibullz and electronic muffs. The muffs turned up overcome the decibullz for range commands but together they work awesome for firing. Plus I can take the cores out of the decibullz if I want everything out and it hangs on a string. Amazon has some plugs with rotatable cores and I thought about trying that.

Centerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:25 pm

I also upgraded the pads on my earmuffs to gel and that makes a big difference in sealing up the perimeter. Also more comfortable. Worth the price.

Centerline

Jwhelan939 and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:20 am

BE Mike wrote:
I now have to make sure to stuff all my ear into my ear muffs!

Annoying, isn't it? Smile I pretty much never use muffs, they're uncomfortably stuffy especially in the summer. dB-wise I've found my molded in-ear to be enough, even shooting indoors at a commercial range with a .308 going off in the next lane. Well, maybe muffs would help there though!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:53 am

I had customs a few years back. They kept falling out. Now I use the Mack's ear seals. You can vary the insertion depth, thus the noise suppression level, which can be handy for example if you're in the pits at Camp Perry and need to pick up the shock wave of an incoming rifle bullet (since there is no impact berm), while still suppressing the upper end. Indoors I'll add a pair of ear muffs if it's bad. I have tried a friend's Sordins and they are very nice. They're on my Christmas list.

tovaert

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rrampe Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm

I recently got custom plugs through an audiologist. After 40 years I got sick of fighting to get foam plugs in right. They're not cheap but I'm very happy with them so far.

rrampe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down