Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames

+4
Stewboy
aaronb
rburk
mostly22lately
8 posters

Go down

Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames Empty Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames

Post by mostly22lately 2/20/2024, 6:32 pm

I have two S&W Model 41 pistols.

One is a late 1977-or-so vintage, last of the cocking indicator type.

The other is a 2020 built Performance Center model.

The 1977 pistol came to me (used) with two barrels, a 5" bull barrel with a Weaver rail section, and, a 7" barrel with Keng (?) sights.

The Performance Center model came to me (new) with the integrated-Picatinny rail 5" barrel.

The Performance Center frame can accept any of the three barrels.

The 1977 frame accepts the 5" bull barrel and the 7" but does not accept the barrel from the PC.

By 'does not accept' I mean to say that the trigger guard on the older frame will not close when attempting to use the newer barrel.
It gets close, but, I don't want to force it and it won't snap shut.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use any of the barrels on either of the frames.

Anyone here have an experience like this?

If so, did you solve it yourself, or, does something like this require a person familiar with this pistol to make an adjustment?

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames Empty Re: Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames

Post by rburk 2/20/2024, 11:48 pm

I have had a similar experience with my Model 41.  A fellow shooter loaned me a 7" barrel to try, but it wouldn't quite fit, the trigger guard would not lock all the way up.

Clark gunsmithing makes after market barrels for the model 41, they may still have a video on their website that explains where to file on the barrel if it won't quite fit. 

I would probably leave everything alone.  If you file on the barrel to get it to fit one gun, I am not sure how well it will fit the gun it originally came with.

rburk

mostly22lately likes this post

Back to top Go down

Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames Empty Re: Model 41, swapping barrels between two frames

Post by mostly22lately 2/21/2024, 7:11 am

This discussion on line seems to address the matter and I may look into 'trying' it.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13851-sw-41-new-barrel-will-not-fit

Your counsel about the barrel not fitting 'the other way' afterwards is well taken.

mostly22lately

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronb 2/21/2024, 4:56 pm

I recently purchased a performance center barrel for a model 41 and had the same problem you described.
It was so tight the barrel was not seating all the way down on the frame.  All I did was make sure the barrel 
was as far forward in the frame as it would go and put pressure on the top the barrel (alternately front to back) until it was fully seated.
If you haven't tried that, might give that a try before doing any filing. 

Aaron

Last edited by aaronb on 2/22/2024, 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total

aaronb

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewboy 2/21/2024, 9:45 pm

For what it's worth, I have a 1979 (non-cocking indicator) 7 inch, and a 2022 5 inch. Barrels can be exchanged with no problem, though I have not fired the pistols with the barrels exchanged.

Stewboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast G 2/22/2024, 7:24 am

I have an early grip cocking indicator model. I have never had a problem swapping barrels. I have 2 5 inch barrels, one drilled for a dot mount and a Clark barrel, the one without the top strap over the slide. Love the Clark, made the gun 100% reliable. 

Graham

Fast G

rburk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 2/22/2024, 8:37 am

Quite a few years ago I made barrels for Floyd Aikman. He was making tack drivers from 41s. Made one for Darius Young that would group dime size at 50 meters. I would leave the lower lug oversize for him the be able to fit in the frame. If my memory is correct he was using Lilja barrel blanks that were bored to Hammerli 208 dimensions.
 As per Floyd he claimed that the tolerance S&W for the lug fitting used was cause of many 41 problems.

Froneck

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RTPMAN 3/28/2024, 8:58 am

Just bought a 7" barrel from Numrich and had no trouble installing it on my 1968 Smith 41.

RTPMAN

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 3/31/2024, 9:58 pm

I have a mid 70's 41 and I bought a new 5.5 barrel and it interchanged with no problems.  I also bought a used 5" field barrel and the top strap caused the slide to drag, I had to stone the bottom of the top strap and it works fine.  Since S&W has been making these pistols for 65 or so years there is bound to be a little bit of variation.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down