Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower

+4
BE Mike
bking
DavidR
Bullseye10X
8 posters

Go down

Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower Empty Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower

Post by Bullseye10X 1/20/2014, 10:29 pm

Any of you guys who runs a Springfield and have stock magazines, can you check to see if your follower has a burr right in the middle of the top surface of the follower. Looks like a half-moon shaped, small (maybe 1 or 2 mm) raised "burr" right in the middle of the follower. I noticed that the rim of the last round hangs up on this thing. Both of my factory mags have it, so it's obviously made that way.

Anyone else have this, or have problems because of this? I am getting ready to file it down smooth.

Thanks!

Bullseye10X

http://bullseyepistol.com/

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower Empty Re: Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower

Post by DavidR 1/21/2014, 9:24 am

many of those type mags have a bump there its part of the design.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower Empty Re: Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower

Post by bking 1/21/2014, 9:26 am

When he accurized my Range Officer for Bullseye Roddy Toyota suggested I replace the stock followers with the rounded Metalform followers. They were about $8 each. I think I bought them from Gil Hebbard.

bking

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/21/2014, 9:38 am

I've used the Metalform rounded followers with success. I also like their magazines. They are hard to beat for the money. Here is where you can get some rounded followers: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=FRNDS
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 1/21/2014, 5:28 pm

OK, thanks fellas. Seems silly to me that there would be an intentional design that causes the rim of the last round to drag across this thing.

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/21/2014, 9:21 pm

of my 10, only the wilson combat does not have the "bump" and they have the radiused follower.

If your last round is not chambering, I'd re-evaluate your recoil spring selection...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/21/2014, 11:40 pm

I use colt mags with the flat follower and the bump, but I don't have any problems.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bking 1/21/2014, 11:57 pm

The big feature of the rounded Metalform followers Roddy quoted was the long radiused flange that rides against the front inside of the mag. He said it makes the follower less likely to get crooked & bind.

bking

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 1/22/2014, 10:49 am

Bullseye10X wrote:OK, thanks fellas.  Seems silly to me that there would be an intentional design that causes the rim of the last round to drag across this thing.

Hello Bullseye10x,

The dimple on the follower is an original design concept of the master....John Browning.  It was placed there to prevent the last round in a magazine from being pushed forward, and potentially causing a jamb, while the second-from-the-last round was being stripped from the magazine.  It was a simple solution to a problem that only rarely happens.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 1/23/2014, 2:40 am

spursnguns wrote:
Bullseye10X wrote:OK, thanks fellas.  Seems silly to me that there would be an intentional design that causes the rim of the last round to drag across this thing.

Hello Bullseye10x,

The dimple on the follower is an original design concept of the master....John Browning.  It was placed there to prevent the last round in a magazine from being pushed forward, and potentially causing a jamb, while the second-from-the-last round was being stripped from the magazine.  It was a simple solution to a problem that only rarely happens.

Jim

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks Jim! I guess I will find out just how useful that little dimple was. I filed it flat to the follower this evening!  Embarassed Shocked 

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/23/2014, 8:29 am

you kept all the safety's though, right?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 1/23/2014, 5:07 pm

" Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks Jim! I guess I will find out just how useful that little dimple was. I filed it flat to the follower this evening!  Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower Icon_redface Springfield RO Magazine - Burr on Follower Icon_eek "

Step away from the file and no one will get hurt !   cheers

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 1/24/2014, 2:04 am

james r chapman wrote:you kept all the safety's though, right?

Absolutely. Going to change out the main spring next week to a 19#, and change the grips, but other than that the gun is bone stock. Regardless of what I do to it over time, I see no reason to mess with the safety mechanisms.

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by LongSlide 1/29/2014, 7:43 am

Bullseye10X wrote:
spursnguns wrote:

Hello Bullseye10x,

Jim

Ahhh, gotcha.  Thanks Jim!  I guess I will find out just how useful that little dimple was.  I filed it flat to the follower this evening!   Embarassed Shocked 
It's rumored that what you did will eventually lead to the tip of your extractor breaking.  The theory is that the last round is pushed forward and the extractor tip must go over the rim to chamber, if it chambers.  Not sure if it's true, because other followers don't have that bump.  Just sayin'.

LongSlide

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/29/2014, 10:18 am

I wouldn't worry about that.  It will be pretty obvious if the last round is not chambering in the normal way.  Unless it has a really heavy recoil spring it will probably not go to battery when it has to jump the rim.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down