Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Die Set up...

+4
John Dervis
KBarth
PhotoEscape
cundiff5535
8 posters

Go down

Die Set up... Empty Die Set up...

Post by cundiff5535 Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:03 pm

Hello!  I am going to be setting up a Dillon 650 for smaller runs of ammo.  I am hoping to get some thoughts on die set up!
I was going to get a Redding Carbide Size/Decapping die, the Redding Micrometer Seating die, and currently have the Redding crimp, but I keep hearing that I should get the Lee factory Crimp die.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on this or what route to go?
cundiff5535
cundiff5535

Back to top Go down

Die Set up... Empty Re: Die Set up...

Post by PhotoEscape Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:42 pm

IMO, all Redding dies are fine, although I prefer Lee Carbide Sizing dies as they size cases the closest to the base.  I would not use Lee carbide FCD unless it is absolutely necessary.  The most important thing is to have sizing ring(s) in sizing and FCD dies be within spec of the caliber.  Most such dies are undersized in my experience.  Might warrant contacting manufacturer of choice and finding out if they can provide you with custom die(s) with ID that you specify.  I know Lee offers such service.  Obviously, above is applicable if you desire to load competition ammo and gain maximum accuracy.  If you are loading ammo just for testing / training as long as it passes plunk test, it is good enough.  Once again, IMO.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:16 pm

I use a lee FCD for my 45 ammo on my Dillon and it works fine. I also use a lee FCD on my 38 DR ammo and that load shoots right at 1.5in in my revolver.
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:36 pm

I would use the Redding die you have and see how it works. You can always change if the results aren’t as good as you wanted.

John

John Dervis

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:41 pm

I have used both Lee and Redding crimp dies with good success. Reloading is something that can be easily over complicated. I would concur with John, try the Redding die you have first.That said the Lee dies are also inexpensive and you could test both if you wanted to confirm which works best for your needs.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:04 am

What type of bullets will you load? The Redding seater is great for FMJ and most JHP but if loading SWC a Dillon die with uniquetek SWC seater insert is likely better as it seats off the shoulder rather than nose of the bullet and is easier to clean.  Redding crimp die is good for both
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Schaumannk, BE Mike and rckendall like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cundiff5535 Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:30 am

Thx for the comment s guys!
cundiff5535
cundiff5535

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:07 am

Sizing die: I want a die that goes as far down the case as possible. Lee is my first choice, with Hornady next. Hornady sizes easily with TiN ring. The very best were the very first RCBS carbide dies as they barely "broke the edge" on the carbide ring.
Expander dies: Any powder-through expand/flare die is great--it just has to match your powder measure. If you wish to weigh/dispense individual charges, the Lee PTE die with a Lee powder funnel on it works best.
Bullet seating die: die means nothing. Get a bullet seating plug that fits your bullet profile. It should not touch the bullet nose and should contact as far down the ogive as possible. Micrometer, to me, are a waste of time given that I don't mind resetting a die nor do I mind dedicating a die to a specific bullet.
Crimp: I have never found any taper crimp die better than any other. I never use a Lee FCD with lead bullets. I mostly use Lee taper crimp dies or the die that came with the die set.
For roll crimp, things are different. Best accuracy has been with the Redding Profile Crimp die, with the Lee FCD being number two AFTER I remove the carbide ring.
I have had lead bullets sized down by the FCD

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Y Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

How does one go about removing the carbide ring?

Nick Y

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum