Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Round Flyer

3 posters

Go down

First Round Flyer Empty First Round Flyer

Post by ding-a-ling Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:05 pm

I crack a special little grin when I can put them all in the black. My smile muscles are out of shape.... I have a few pistols that I seem to get  first round flyer quite often. I always chalked it up to not having the pistol settled in my hand properly.

I just watched a Ransom Rest Int. video that CLEARLY shows a Glock 19 putting it's first of 8 shots a good 6" lower than its final group. The operator of the rest states that some guns chamber a round, from a hand racked slide, differently. 

I understand where a slight deviation could come from, but 6" wide!!!???? That not only seems excessive, but unjustifiable mechanically.

I know that I will be letting the slide stop do the racking and see if it makes a difference.

Any of you experience this?

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

First Round Flyer Empty Re: First Round Flyer

Post by fc60 Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:20 pm

Greetings,

Yes.

The Random Rest is a machine of many moving parts.

Stand back and look at it to visualize how the operator can fire the pistol/revolver and return it to the initial position precisely each shot.

You have the Urethane inserts that grip the frame subject to movement during recoil.

There is a 3" clutch disk that arrests the Random Rest in recoil. Over time, the disk glazes and the force needed to move the pistol will change.

Returning the rest to the mechanical stop is another issue. Here, you are pushing against the clutch. If you come to the stop to abruptly, it will bounce off a few thousands.

The lever to release the guns trigger needs to be applied uniformly each time. i.e. be sure you are applying a straight back pull and not pushing the pistol to the side.

Add all of the above to the moving parts in the actual pistol, it is quite often amazing the operator gets a nice round group.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

targetshooter_10x and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Yes.

The Random Rest is a machine of many moving parts.

Stand back and look at it to visualize how the operator can fire the pistol/revolver and return it to the initial position precisely each shot.

You have the Urethane inserts that grip the frame subject to movement during recoil.

There is a 3" clutch disk that arrests the Random Rest in recoil. Over time, the disk glazes and the force needed to move the pistol will change.

Returning the rest to the mechanical stop is another issue. Here, you are pushing against the clutch. If you come to the stop to abruptly, it will bounce off a few thousands.

The lever to release the guns trigger needs to be applied uniformly each time. i.e. be sure you are applying a straight back pull and not pushing the pistol to the side.

Add all of the above to the moving parts in the actual pistol, it is quite often amazing the operator gets a nice round group.

Cheers,

Dave
They are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to putting my pistols in one.

The video got interesting as they explored hand racked flyers. Apparently, it's a thing. The guns used were settled in the rest and then a hand rack made a flyer (to varying degrees).

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:15 pm

You also have to remember the concept of the Ransom Rest and how/what it was intended to do. It was conceived as a way of duplicating a handheld pistol as best as limits of (1970s) technology allowed. Hence the polyurethane rubber grips and limited torque allowed. This was placed into a mechanism that will return to an area of aim but not necessarily a particular point. It isn’t designed for that. Well maintained and well operated it’s as about as good as you can to determine what the accuracy of your gun can deliver. Operate it poorly and accuracy is substantially less.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down