Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimming a Red Dot

+3
RoyDean
JRV
ding-a-ling
7 posters

Go down

Dimming a Red Dot Empty Dimming a Red Dot

Post by ding-a-ling 4/16/2024, 5:09 am

I recently upgraded to a UD Matchdot II. It certainly lives up to the hype. Nice glass and the roundest dot my astigmatic eyes have beheld.

The only issue I have encountered is that the dot(s) tend to be too bright (except for 2moa, which is significantly dimmer). When shooting indoors, I find that on the lowest setting the dots really grab the attention of my eye. This makes it harder to concentrate on the target. I know that this is considered a benefit in most cases, but for my aim it is a detractor for precision work. 

Does anyone have a similar issue, and how have you corrected for it? I'm considering getting the flip-down colored shades from Champions, but I would like to hear color recommendations before plunking down the $.

Thanks,

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Dimming a Red Dot Empty Re: Dimming a Red Dot

Post by JRV 4/16/2024, 5:52 am

Have you tried tinted/filtered lenses indoors? Amber, purple, blue, red? Eye protection color can make pretty significant changes on things like how the target black and sight are perceived, because they eliminate certain wavelengths of light.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling 4/16/2024, 5:58 am

JRV wrote:Have you tried tinted/filtered lenses indoors?  Amber, purple, blue, red?  Eye protection color can make pretty significant changes on things like how the target black and sight are perceived, because they eliminate certain wavelengths of light.
This is what I am considering. I'm not sure which color/shade does a good job of beating down the red while not dimming the target much.

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 4/16/2024, 6:10 am

Everyone's eyes are different.  I use a medium dark amber lens, even indoors, which seems to make the target blacks even blacker.  Red dots appear slightly smaller and whiter/cooler to me with that lens.

JRV

ding-a-ling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/16/2024, 7:26 am

Sorry, OP, but I'm a little confused. Isn't there a brightness control dial on your MD2? Are you saying that even on the lowest brightness setting (1?), the dot is too bright?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 4/16/2024, 8:47 am

If your dot is too bright for you on lowest setting, the easiest correction is to use a dying battery ))

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling 4/16/2024, 9:03 am

RoyDean wrote:Sorry, OP, but I'm a little confused. Isn't there a brightness control dial on your MD2? Are you saying that even on the lowest brightness setting (1?), the dot is too bright?
I would like it to be less bright (or more correctly, less brilliant). Maybe "subdued" is a better word.

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 4/16/2024, 10:46 am

I want it bright to grab the attention of my eye so I don't look at the target.  To each his own, I reckon.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 4/16/2024, 11:04 am

Hmmm. Interesting. As PMcfall says "to each his own".

IMHO, the UD's generally offer a very round, clear and consistent red dot - over almost the entire range of brightness settings. I have owned and used most of the UD models in the past. I found the UD 1" to be the most perfect, but that is subjective. And, whether indoors, or in overcast light outdoors, I never imagined using a very low brightness setting (i.e. 3 or less) with any of them. One or 2 clicks either way from about 5 or 6 was my "norm".

So, if I might make a suggestion to the OP, before you experiment with filters, etc., you might like to ask another shooter with a red dot to let you take a look and make sure that your UD MD2 is actually illuminating at a "normal" level.

From your initial post, you imply that you have upgraded (from a different brand or model?) to the UD MD2 - was the previous brand/model much dimmer or less distinct?

Something is not right here. IMHO.

RoyDean

ding-a-ling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling 4/16/2024, 11:24 am

RoyDean wrote:Hmmm. Interesting. As PMcfall says "to each his own".

IMHO, the UD's generally offer a very round, clear and consistent red dot - over almost the entire range of brightness settings. I have owned and used most of the UD models in the past. I found the UD 1" to be the most perfect, but that is subjective. And, whether indoors, or in overcast light outdoors, I never imagined using a very low brightness setting (i.e. 3 or less) with any of them. One or 2 clicks either way from about 5 or 6 was my "norm".

So, if I might make a suggestion to the OP, before you experiment with filters, etc., you might like to ask another shooter with a red dot to let you take a look and make sure that your UD MD2 is actually illuminating at a "normal" level.

From your initial post, you imply that you have upgraded (from a different brand or model?) to the UD MD2 - was the previous brand/model much dimmer or less distinct?

Something is not right here. IMHO.
Thanks, I will ask to have a look at other UD and verify brightness level. My previous dot was a Holosun 403 Green (2moa, and not a bad sight). I mostly wanted a larger dot, but the better glass in the UD coupled with the larger dots has been a real plus. At 6moa it provides all the accuracy I need and is still round... Outdoor, the UD is nigh perfect. I only want to dim what I have for indoor shooting. It's not a huge deal, but I want to make the most of it. I shot with the H403G for so long (at a very low setting, and concentrating on the target vs the dot) that my grouping has overall suffered a bit (5-10 points lower -but I get more 10-x hits) with the UD.

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling 4/16/2024, 11:29 am

RoyDean wrote:Sorry, OP, but I'm a little confused. Isn't there a brightness control dial on your MD2? Are you saying that even on the lowest brightness setting (1?), the dot is too bright?
Yes, but just indoors. I'm pretty sure the brightness is correct for the model. I just want an even more subdued dot image. I'm hoping a filtering lens over my shooting glasses (or a colored plastic disc inserted in the UD cap) would provide that. I just don't know which color to start with...

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/16/2024, 12:53 pm

I too lower the dot setting when indoors. But even though it may still be brighter than I like, putting a filter in the way might make the target resolution non-existent. So, I just turn it down a lot and live with it.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 4/16/2024, 1:56 pm

Ding-a-Ling, your UD 2 should have come with the polarizing filter in the box. I use mine when the target face has a bright light or sun shining directly on it. Just turn the outer filter to your liking and tape them so they don't move your setting.
 Stan

chopper

jwax and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum