Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please

+2
DA/SA
brand-new
6 posters

Go down

Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please Empty Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please

Post by brand-new Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 pm

First of all, thank you to all who have been so very helpful in my journey to reload accurate and low recoil 38 special target loads.
I'm using an old but very clean and smooth 3 die set from RCBS. I load on a single stage Forster Co-Ax reloading press.
I deprime and employ a vibratory cleaner for my once fired 38special cases....currently using S&B cases. I'm using Hornady LHBWC 148gn projectiles.
I read the directions on the RCBS dies and believe that they are set up per their defined instruction. It's an older RCBS die set that uses the tapered dilating rod and i have the appropriate bullet seating stem for the projectile.

After decapping, cleaning, full length sizing and priming....the empty case fits/drops into the cylinder of my 686 plus revolver perfectly and also fits into my model 52 barrel perfectly.
I gently flare/expand the case mouth so that the projectile fits in stable, at perhaps 10-15% of it's length. 
I then add by hand the measured amount of powder, place and seat the projectile to the appropriate depth which for my model 52 is just abit above flush with the case mouth.
The finished case/cartridge looks great, nice and smooth and uniform, no bulges....however it no longer fits the chamber of the barrel or the revolver cylinder. it's just too wide.
I run the completed cartridge through the empty full length sizing die and now the cartridge fits both beautifully.

I would very much appreciate help as to understanding why i'm having to re-size once again the completed cartridge....and what to do to rectify the problem.

The cartridges are firing consistently and accurately.

Thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please Empty Re: Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please

Post by DA/SA Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:50 pm

Taper or roll crimp, and how much?

Does it go into the chamber at all, or just part way?

Blacken a round with a Sharpie and push it into the chamber and then back out. Look for where the black is rubbed off, or post a pic of it.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Arthur and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please Empty Re: Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please

Post by brand-new Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 pm

my impression was that the seating die sufficed in completing the process...the projectile felt very stable and fixed in position so i didn't add a final crimp

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 pm

They need to be crimped after seating.
DA/SA
DA/SA

BE Mike, james r chapman, brand-new and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 pm

thank you 
does the crimp then also size the full length of the case?

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 pm

No, it just removes the slight flare at the case mount. But you can also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, and that will re-size the case as well as crimp it. The trouble there is that there is a broad tolerance band on them when manufactured, so you may get one that sizes it too small, and accuracy will suffer.
DA/SA
DA/SA

BE Mike and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 pm

thank you
will make a change in my processing and will update as i learn more

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Lots to learn about reloading, but fortunately, you will also find lots of helpful members on here!
DA/SA
DA/SA

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

A Lee “Factory Crimp” die does have a sizing ring in them as well, as applying a crimp.

However, I’ve never used one, never found the need. What I do when loading 38 flush seated wad cutters is to set it up as follows. Thread the die into the press so there is approx a nickle (5cent coin) between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder, then back out the seating stem. Take a charged case and start the bullet in the case; place it in the press and start seating the bullet until you get the bullet seated to your liking, then back off the seating stem a few turns. Then place the same loaded round into the press, run the round up the ram, then screw the die down while short stroking the ram so a crimp is applied. You don’t need much but it should look like in the picture below. Then re-set the seating stem to seat the bullet. That way you’ll seat then crimp in one stroke.

What you want is like this.Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please F1594511
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

james r chapman, Sa-tevp, ermakevin and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 am

thank you. will try this.

great forum, really glad i found it

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 am

a resource to help troubleshoot chambering problems:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/reloading-tips-the-plunk-test/99389

S148

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:26 am

S148 wrote:a resource to help troubleshoot chambering problems:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/reloading-tips-the-plunk-test/99389
great article.
I have to perform this with .22LR ammo since every manufacturer uses lube on the bullet which increases size and causes some ammo chambering issues.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Reloading 38 special cases.....fit help please Empty Reloading .38 special HBWC using IVI 38 once fired brass?

Post by rcsch Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm

Hello all,
I acquired a fair amount of this military "IVI" .38 special once fired brass. 
I thought I ask here before I spent all the time to de-prime & swage the primer pockets if the time will be well spent.
As I understand, with Military brass, there are some features (smaller inside volume) to contend with but am wondering if this will matter. I've heard some say to use a slightly oversized expander to keep the bullet from being distorted because of the thicker brass & smaller inside diameter.
Have any of you out there used this brass? Results?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

rcsch

rcsch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down