Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol Sights

+3
sixftunda
dronning
Pat Nemes
7 posters

Go down

Pistol Sights  Empty Pistol Sights

Post by Pat Nemes Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am

Does anyone know what percentage of the pistol shooters last year at Camp Perry used optical sights and what percentage used iron sights.

Thanks

Pat Nemes

Back to top Go down

Pistol Sights  Empty Re: Pistol Sights

Post by dronning Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 am

Not official but I am sure it is >80% optical, looking around me it was 100% optical .

In this 2010 video 100% optical.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDtya_Sofk
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 am

I personally only know of two people who shot irons at Perry last year.  At my area on the line it was 100% optics.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:18 pm

In our area We have a couple of  guys that switched back to irons to try and improve their ball gun scores and a few new shooters just getting started but everybody else just shooting bullseye shoots dots these days.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pistol Sights  Empty Pistol sights

Post by Pat Nemes Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks to everyone for the info. I guess I'd better look at adding dots to my pistols. I grew up in the iron site age so this is a change for me.Admittenly the dots would seem to do well with my old eyes.

What would be a good reasonably priced dot that would go on a .45? Frame mount or slide mount???

Pat Nemes

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Just because most people shoot with a dot does not mean it is the best for you or the best choice.  I think there are a lot of people who should be shooting irons.  A HM told me he would still use irons if he could see them as good he used to.  For some people proper glasses should clear up the sight picture.  

The national record was shot using irons.

Slide mount is the most common.  1" ultra dot seems to be a good starting point.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 pm

If you made HM with irons, I say stick with irons.
If not I agree with 1" ultradot on a slide mount.  This is the one I like:
http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/1911_old_bo-mar.htm
I buy my ultradots from http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-1-Black__UD1B.aspx

I filed off some of the rail so my irons can stay on the gun--I take off the rail and shoot my Wad gun for EIC matches--if you ever had an optics failure, you can unbolt the rail and carry on with your match.
Pistol Sights  Wp_00010
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Brian Zins talked about the record at the clinic two weeks ago and talked about irons vs. red dot.
He has beaten Hershel Anderson's X count before. He said that the red dot gives you the advantage of getting a higher X count over irons.

He also said that Anderson was shaking so bad on the final rapid fire string knowing how good he was shooting that his last five shots were all 9's.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

First, on the humour side, pretty much everyone was shooting irons on Sunday at the Nationals. Smile 

Now to the dots vs. irons vs. mounting...

As many have said, it will boil down to your personal journey.  Here are a few things to consider:

Is Distinguished or International shooting in your future?  If yes, you will want to work with irons and the glasses/accessories that enhance their perception.  If you're not looking toward the above, then dots may be a way to go.

Slide mounting:

- you can just grab the scope to cycle the slide
- you need to use a little hotter ammo
- the cycling is a little slower and more pronounced

Frame mounting:

- you need a "charging handle" or similar to operate the slide
- you can use "softer" ammo
- the cycling is snappier

A couple extra thoughts:

- even if you go with a dot, for the optimum results, you need to see a clear dot
- it would probably be best if you could shoot a couple frame vs. slide guns to evaluate the different feel

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Pistol Sights  Empty Pistol sights

Post by Pat Nemes Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 pm

After looking at all the great responses I'm aiming for the Marvel mount for my Walther Gold Cup .22 clone. This will be a fun project to (1), mount the scope and (2) see how well the Walther can shoot using an optic to reduce the human aiming error.

I do all my shooting outdoors at 50 and 25 yards using the appropriate standard NRA pistol targets. I do like the Walther but so far after firing 200-300 rounds I'm not really happy with the accuracy. It is not up to Bullseye standards. At least not yet. However it is fun to shoot.

Thanks for all the input. It has been a tremendous help in getting me going in the right direction for hardware. I particularly appreciate Rob Kovach's pic of the mod he did to the mount. I might do the same mod to mine when I get it.

Pat Nemes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down