Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch

4 posters

Go down

Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch Empty Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch

Post by DeweyHales Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 am

Is anyone using one of these?  The idea of them is that imperfections in sight alignment become more obvious since the space on either side of the front sight change width and height at the same time.

Link to Nygord

Last edited by DeweyHales on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch Empty Re: Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch

Post by spursnguns Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello Nygord,

"U" shaped rear sight notches are the latest fad for defensive pistol sights.  The better ones, e. g. 10-8, are a constant width and are usually matched up with gold bead or tritium insert front sights.  I have tried them and believe that they answer a question that didn't need to be asked.  Focusing on the front sight (typically the top of it); I'm just not seeing (or shouldn't be) a different shape at the bottom of the notch.  IMHO.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch Empty Re: Half Round or U-Shaped Rear Sight Notch

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Many of the European match pistols have the U notch option. I used to shoot U notch with my free pistol. Theory as told to me by Olympians at the time was that the U portion was similar to half of a circle. The eyes would naturally try to center the front sight in the U notch. I liked shooting shooting with the U. I don't think the current Bomar/clones can be adapted to U notch because there is not enough material to remove before the sight would run out of necessary height to have a clear U notch sight picture. Is there that much difference??? I don't think so. I shot international full time from 89-95 with both types of sights and think it doesn't make that much difference.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm

I use the U notch on my Free pistol because I like the concept and it came with some, but I can't claim any evidence it is better or worse than the standard rectangular sights.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down