Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AL State Championship

3 posters

Go down

AL State Championship Empty AL State Championship

Post by Axehandle Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 am

Good match and beautiful weather for it too!  The club did a wonderful job preparing the range and supporting the match.   You guys within driving distance who wern't there are missing the boat.  These matches are your opportunity to rub elbows with the likes of John Farley, Jim Collins, Phillip Hemphill and Charlie Alexander.   Our children and grandchildren will be reading about these shooters when we are long gone..  Match winner?  You know who Phillip Hemphill is?  =:-)

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

AL State Championship Empty Re: AL State Championship

Post by DavidR Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 am

Great match, Always great to see the legends from the south show up, Joel and the Magic City Gun Club did a great job of hosting the event. Beautiful range and very thoughtful things for the shooters like snacks, drinks and even a catered BBQ lunch was served. They  did a great job and I cant wait till the Regional coming in October. Phillip Hemphil took the overall win with a 2643, Jim Good took Master class with a 2576, Paul Parrish got expert with a 2506, I wasn't at my best but managed to get third in the expert class with a 2488, this is one of my targets, a little example of agony and ecstasy, 98 with 8X. All in All it was a great two days in Pinson Alabama AL State Championship Img_0610
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 am

Thought you might have been there.  That was me on point 25.  Shot a 2511 as unclassified  in my first match since 1996.  Fell flat on my face in the 45 match but didn't shoot any real bad targets all weekend.  I think I was tired from Saturday.  Next match will be better.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 am

2511 is a strong effort for a first time back.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:39 am

I was on 28, big guy, welcome back, have you checked the NRA classification look up, they didn't unclass  me even after a 6 year layoff due to a shoulder injury. If you were a master you might very well still have that classification.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:49 am

18 years is way beyond the 5 years the rule book calls out for master class shooters but I'll check.  Pulled my 2600, Chief's 50 and distinguished patches from the box lid prior to the match.  One good thing the HM class brought us is  the fact that there is no longer a 2600 club group like there was when I stopped competing.  it was like being a lifetime high master without there even being a class. Give me a few matches to settle into those targets turning.  Looking forward to shooting with you guys again.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:50 pm

yes that 5 year rule isn't observed at all, so I would check for sure
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Checked the classification lookup...  Dang if I'm not there.  Master as of  8/17/1984...  Old NRA member number and new number both work.  Guess I'd better get to work!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 am

I thought it might, I haven't seen anybody loose their classification in many years its just one more thing the NRA just neglects to do.

That sort of throws off the results of the State Match, moved you to second in master class and Mr Rushing should have received your award.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 am

No doubt!  Dag nab it!  That High Unclassified plaque was going to look good on the mantle.  Laughing    They gave high resident to a resident shooter that shot 58 points less than me too...  I've asked to have it properly posted properly in reports.  Last year I was state champ was 1996, the last year I was an active competitor.  1996 was number 4.  2014 makes 5.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:45 am

just get with Joel im sure he can straighten it out.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Sent him a note when I got home.  During the awards when they called the high resident and score I knew I didn't shoot well (for an old master) but I didn't think I shot quite low enough to get under the announced score for the resident winner..  At the start of the award ceremony they remarked that we all kept up with our scores but I learned long that tracking scores during a match placed an extra monkey on your back.  I think the concept of a challenge period was missed.. Smile  

Of course it is easy to stand 100 miles off and throw stones.  I've been a life member of that club for 35 years.   I realize how complicated and thankless running the matches can be.   Hoping that posting my name and score in the MCGC and state R&P Association newsletters will inspire some of the old heads to grab their guns and come out and shoot!

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 am

Joel is new to running matches, it was only his third or forth one, he did a great job but missed a few details the other veteran guys helping should have caught, several of them  were in too big a hurry to get on they road headed home and mistakes were made. Im sure by the time  the regional gets here joel  will have it all under control.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree he did one heck of a job!   Smile   You coming back next month?  I kind of like the idea of shooting the short course and even 1800s during the hot months.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:37 pm

I was the guy with the Hammerli P240 32 wadcutter gun.  The short course will be a much better fit for my 32s...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down