Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Cup 38 special "Unfired" ???

+5
s1120
Rob Kovach
AllAces
DavidR
LenV
9 posters

Go down

Gold Cup 38 special "Unfired" ??? Empty Gold Cup 38 special "Unfired" ???

Post by LenV Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am

I sent the seller of this pistol on Gunbroker a question about this pistol. I told him from the pictures it looks used and asked if it was unfired. He swears it is new old stock. I think it probably has been fired many many times. The mainspring housing looks like it has been changed,magazine looks worn,rails looked tightened and looks like it was re-blued. I also think the barrel might have been replaced and grip safety shows signs of hammer strikes. I think someone is going to get ripped off. What do you pistol Gurus think of it?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=432930052
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Gold Cup 38 special "Unfired" ??? Empty Re: Gold Cup 38 special "Unfired" ???

Post by DavidR Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't know if I could buy the never fired bit, looking at the pics it has marks on the mag follower showing it has been loaded enough to show marks and the outside is missing a good bit of blue could be a not original to gun mag, there is wear from the hammer hitting the grip safety and a few side marks, could be from just someone racking slide a lot I guess, the top of barrel doesn't show a lot of marks. its a nice gun but imo not new in box condition but close as you will find for this type gun.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Colt made these pistols starting in 1961. For me the initial clue that is is NOT an unfired pistol is in photo #4, the wear on the grip safety. Photo #7 shows hammer marks on the safety, a good indication the pistol has been fired. Look carefully at photo #8, hammer is dirty and there is rust on the rear sight. Photo #9, left grip is discolored where fingers would grip the gun.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm

I hate it when dealers try to pass off very nice guns as "unfired"--especially ones of older vintage.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

The seller sent me an e-mail saying he is selling it for an 80 yr old friend that says it is unfired. I was interested in this pistol but think I will pass. The bid is already past what I was thinking it was worth unless it was un-modified and unfired. I have been researching Gold Cups and have never seen an older pistol like this that had anything other than a flat mainspring housing. Oh well, Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Took another look at the photos.  Something is just not adding up, plus the price has been bid beyond what I would pay without having the gun in my hands. Interesting that now the seller is not saying it is unfired, but that a friend says it is unfired. 

Agreed, caveat emptor.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:08 am

Rob Kovach wrote:I hate it when dealers try to pass off very nice guns as "unfired"--especially ones of older vintage.

agree  Youve taken a real nice gun, that is still real nice, and clean...and turned it into a scam, that will keep away the buyers that know what it is, and would appreachate its value.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:13 am

My advice: Buy the gun...not the story.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 am

I'm not the smartest person in the room, but without scoping the barrel, I can't see anything that couldn't be attributed to handling and dryfiring. Which is why a lot of vendors and sellers dislike us playing with the pistol too much before buying.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I knew a shooter who had a .38 gold Cup NM. It was a blow-back gun and not competitively accurate. 

Not until smiths like Clark and Shockey began to build match guns did the .38 shoot well.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:07 pm

And the slide stop notch is in like new condition.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down