Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range Office Trigger Work?

+2
Jon Eulette
beeser
6 posters

Go down

Range Office Trigger Work? Empty Range Office Trigger Work?

Post by beeser 8/28/2014, 4:48 pm

I sent the Range Officer to SA's Custom Shop this afternoon to have the trigger shortened and a 4.0# trigger job.  Should I have them do anything else while it's there?  Is 4.0# correct?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Range Office Trigger Work? Empty Re: Range Office Trigger Work?

Post by Jon Eulette 8/28/2014, 5:33 pm

Unfortunately you will probably get a LIABILITY 4# trigger job from SA. Bullseye trigger jobs are not the same. In other words, just because it will hold a 4# weight doesn't make it fit for BE. You won't find a High Master using a pistol with a SA trigger job; SA just won't put the time and effort into giving you a competitive nice trigger pull. There is a difference.  Hopefully I'm wrong :p)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 8/28/2014, 6:06 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Unfortunately you will probably get a LIABILITY 4# trigger job from SA. Bullseye trigger jobs are not the same. In other words, just because it will hold a 4# weight doesn't make it fit for BE. You won't find a High Master using a pistol with a SA trigger job; SA just won't put the time and effort into giving you a competitive nice trigger pull. There is a difference.  Hopefully I'm wrong :p)
Jon
OK, who does a BE trigger job?  Cost?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/28/2014, 6:10 pm

If it is an NRA Bullseye gun 3 1/2 lbs, if you shoot CMP EIC matches it will need to be 4lb.

I agree with JON the trigger job will not be as good as a good bullseye pistol smith would do.

Also if you have removed the ILS they may be required to reinstall it

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 8/28/2014, 6:53 pm

What exactly is involved in a quality BE trigger job?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/28/2014, 7:26 pm

For the most part it's the sear engagement.  Liability triggers have a TON of engagement; little to no relief cut on sear. Bullseye trigger has less sear engagement; more relief cut into sear. So what does this mean? Liability trigger you pray that it will go bang before your arm gets tired. Bullseye trigger breaks sooner; improves shot process. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/28/2014, 7:38 pm

You also need to decide do you want a clean break or a roll trigger, many prefer a roll. 

I installed KC's roll trigger kits in 3 of my guns and can't say enough good things about them.

Clean or Roll
http://tonybrong.blogspot.com/2008/12/clean-break-or-roll.html

Roll trigger kits thread on Commercial Row
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2709-roll-trigger-kits

- Dave

Last edited by dronning on 8/28/2014, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 8/30/2014, 9:26 pm

So I did just what the OP did. I bought a RO, got some minor work, it shot great, and sent it to SACS for a 4lb trigger job thinking that would be all I would need, since it pulls double duty as my service pistol.  Thought  I was all set.
The trigger is much better, but just as the experienced posters like Jon have mentioned, which I am not, it is no where near the quality of the feel compared to the work I had done by a BE gunsmith.  So I'll be sending it to my BE gunsmith when my BE pistol build is done to get re-worked....again.  SACS does great work, but they are not BE gunsmiths. 

Need a BE gun or BE gunsmith work, use a BE gunsmith IMO.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 9/1/2014, 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 8/30/2014, 9:47 pm

I asked before for a good BE gunsmith but never got an answer.  Again, can someone provide me with a list of some?  I live in a fairly rural area of Arizona and can almost guarantee that none exist around here.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 8/30/2014, 9:59 pm

David Sams
254 Columbia Rd
Cartersville, Va 23027

Phone 804-375-3782
Fax 804-375-3781 
Email: samscustom@att.net

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/

Dave has done two pistols for me, with another heading to him in a month and he's building my hardball pistol with a follow on order for a wad gun in winter when my wallet recovers.  I live near Dave and get to visit his workshop, so I do quite a bit of business with him and he's a stand up guy, former head gunsmith of the AMU (4 years) and does spectacular work, like any other top end BE gunsmith.  He can be a bit expensive, but you know what you're getting and you get what you pay for just like the BE gunsmiths who support the forum.  None of these guys get rich doing what they're doing, you're paying for labor and at the end of the day, we aren't paying much for the quality of work we receive in today's wal-mart society.  These guys do it right, and make sure it stays right.  That level of customer service has a cost associated with it and I'm happy to pay the price of admission.  In the grand scheme, it's small.

KC's Custom Creations
http://www.kcskustomcreations.com/

Chambers Custom
http://chamberscustom.com/

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 8/31/2014, 1:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/30/2014, 10:55 pm

I like a long roll trigger so I prefer KC Crawford's trigger work.  He is the top of the charts for roll trigger work.
Joe Chamber's work is nothing short of amazing.
I have heard good things about Frerking Custom Works and know a master here in Wisconsin that is shooting his guns.
Some Illinois guys like to send their stuff to Rock River Arms.
We have some lesser known trigger job artists here in Wisconsin.  River Valley Firearms (Stevens Point, WI) has been building some really nice stuff if you want to save some money.  Also, there are a handful of even smaller "side job" gunsmiths in my neck of the woods who have learned some skills from Larry Leutenegger. I think their prices are lower than the big names because you don't pay the big premium for the big name.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 8/31/2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks as usual Rob and JayhawkNavy02.  My RO is already off to SA for the not so stellar 4.0# trigger job and shortening the trigger but it's good to have a list of good gunsmiths on hand for the next set of adjustments.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/2/2014, 12:36 pm

Send it to KC he will do you a bullseye trigger job.
http://www.kcskustomcreations.com/
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down