Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers

+2
BE Mike
Profe5s0r
6 posters

Go down

Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers Empty Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 am

Has anyone had any experience with the Smith and Wesson "Classic" series of revolvers? I already have a K-38 circa 1957 and have been looking at the model 17 and model 25 in the classic series as being perfect for my goal of shooting (and winning) production class matches. Also, with the model 25, is there anything I need to do to get it to shoot moon clips? It's listed as being chambered for .45 Colt...
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

http://www.DistinguishedPrecision.com

Back to top Go down

Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers Empty Re: Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers

Post by BE Mike Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:33 pm

This revolver is chambered in .45 Colt, not .45 ACP. The only time you need to have moon clips is in a Model 25 chambered in .45 ACP. Actually, one can shoot .45 Auto Rimmed ammo without moon clips and the empties will easily extract. The .45 ACP ammo will fire without moon clips, but there is nothing for the extractor star to grab on, so the empties have to be extracted one at a time with something like a pencil, wood dowel, etc. The .45 Colt cartridge has a rim, so extraction is easily handled by the revolver's extractor.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers Empty Re: Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers

Post by varmint243 Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I have a model 17 -9 modern classic with a 6" barrel
I like it and have been shooting it for a year or more now
quality fit and finish are excellent
accuracy is good
shootability isn't as good as some other comparable guns I have
I have to work very hard at 40yd offhand / irons
I couldn't really tell you why
I believe it is the fit of the front sight being very tight in the rear sight
I also think the trigger isn't quite as smooth
DA pull is rather hard
YMMV

varmint243

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks BEMike, I was hoping to use moon clips with a model 25 so that the 45 ACP wouldn't slip all the way in. If I switched out the cylinder to one chambered for 45 ACP, it would no longer be eligible as a "Production" gun. I could go with a 6 inch 625, but those are harder to come by...Unless you know of a really good source for Auto Rim brass...
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Well, got my .22 taken care of...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438130691
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by varmint243 Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:01 pm

nice looking piece
update us with how it shoots when you get it please

varmint243

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Nice one!  Guess we need to be looking for you a 25 or 625 now huh?  What do you think about Phillip Hemphill and Jim Collins coming to run a revolver clinic?

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:27 pm

I'll be there! Is that you Stan? lol. And that could wait a bit, but not too long! I'll check the balance on my American Express! heheh. Yeah, I was surprised that the 17 went that low, I saw a few pre-lock 17's that were as high as $1200 a few months ago before I went with that 4 inch 617 that I'm shooting now.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 pm

No need, just found one here in Trussville if you can believe that!
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:59 pm

So, I did get a model 25-15...so, will moon clips fit right off the bat or will I need to buy some new brass?
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 am

I have a 14-8 that is just great that I wouldn't mind parting with. Don't pay any attention to my previous posts where I was talking about this pistol. I am sure it is not really a lemon. I could be wrong. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 am

If the -15 is a ACP gun it is ready for moon clips.  I'd not spend the bucks for AR brass for it unless you just want some to hold.  I play with Miculek and PC 625s.  I've got a coffee can of AR brass somewhere from 30 years ago but haven't looked for them.   Those rubber moon clips sure look user friendly.  Don't know if they are as good at head spacing as the hard steel clips.  They sure eliminate the need for mooning and de-mooning tools.  I run the Ron Power tool steel trigger in the Miculek gun.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 am

Profe5s0r wrote:So, I did get a model 25-15...so, will moon clips fit right off the bat or will I need to buy some new brass?
Isn't the S&W model 25-15 chambered in .45 Colt? .45 Colt (Long Colt) and .45 ACP are not the same cartridge and not interchangeable. If your revolver is chambered in .45 Colt, then that is the only cartridge you can shoot in it.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm

BE Mike, you sir are absolutely correct. I'd heard from a friend a while back (though my brain is getting foggier these days) that said that he'd shoot both through his model 25, .45 Colt and .45 ACP. I'm wondering now if he had gotten an extra cylinder for his gun. Anyway, it wasn't a lost cause. I found a new source for .22 long rifle ammo and they are also searching more a 25-2 or a 5 inch 625 for me...Thanks for all the help guys!
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:16 am

The mall ninjas do have 45 revolver cylinders relieved for moon clips.  Allows them to shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP in the same gun.  The S&W Governor shoots 45 Colt, 410 shotgun shells, and moon clipped 45 ACP.   I'd be cautious of spending the bucks for the moon clip modification on a gun used for bullseye.  The 45 Colt chamber is big.  They still use the old BP specification for .454 bullets.  Might not be as accurate as you'd like it to be.   FWIW the 45 ACP 25s and 625s I've owned would shoot factory ACP without clips.  They did not like the ammo handloaded for my 1911s.  The handloads need the clip to properly headspace.  Ran into a 25 with a custom 45 ACP cylinder that had been chambered tighter than the factory guns that shot my handloads without clips just fine.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 am

Even if you get a 45colt cylinder to headspace 45acp I think the added free bore would be an accuracy reducer.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 am

Steve and Axe, I came to the same conclusions. Just because it was possible doesn't mean you should do it. So they still have that 25-15, though it felt so good...

They are helping me with an ACP specific gun though, great group of guys.
Birmingham Pistol Wholesale...just a big gun store, but they do what they do.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:52 am

I have a 25 for 45 colt and a 25 for 45 acp....cylinders & barrel details are completely different.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Professor,

I don't think much of the new classics. I have two of them a 29 and a 14. The 29 is beautiful and shoots great. The 14 is beautiful but does not shoot great. My gunsmith when he did a trigger job said the new parts inside are just not up to the original S&W standards. I don't know if you are aware that S&W is not making the classics. They are selling them but they are being made by a totally different company. I do however love the old S&W's. I think you would like the 25-2 model of 1955. Here is one of the nicest one I have found that if I didn't have one I would be bidding on.

Len
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=440017027
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Profe5s0r wrote:BE Mike, you sir are absolutely correct. I'd heard from a friend a while back (though my brain is getting foggier these days) that said that he'd shoot both through his model 25, .45 Colt and .45 ACP. I'm wondering now if he had gotten an extra cylinder for his gun. Anyway, it wasn't a lost cause. I found a new source for .22 long rifle ammo and they are also searching more a 25-2 or a 5 inch 625 for me...Thanks for all the help guys!
Glad you found some .22 ammo and a helpful gun shop. Every cloud has a silver lining.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Though the way the NRA Production Class rules currently read, I might have to shoot a 5 inch 625...

Last edited by Profe5s0r on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Alright, I'm currently the high bidder on this one...not as much information as I'd like, but I'm a risk taker. Smile

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=439258545
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Sure looks pretty. I think they probably put some kind of wax on the grips and that is why they shine so much but didn't get it all out of the grooves. Bet it cleans up great. Good luck
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 am

The current state of the 45 ACP S&W Revolver is driven by the IDPA.  4 inch barrels are the standard.  Did swap out the front sights for patridge blades but haven't done any 50 yard accuracy testing with mine.  FWIW the cylinder on the PC gun is even shorter than the usual ACP revolver cylinder.
 Smith and Wesson Classic Series Revolvers 002

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Profe5s0r Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 am

I won that 25-2, so I'm covered. I'll be totally set for the Oct regional.
Profe5s0r
Profe5s0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down