Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stainless for a competition gun?

+12
knightimac
Rich/WIS
Jerry944T
BE Mike
inthebeech
Ghillieman
Dr.Don
Bullshooter
Rob Kovach
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
kwixdraw
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stainless for a competition gun? - Page 2 Empty Stainless for a competition gun?

Post by kwixdraw Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Has anyone got any comments about building a wad gun on a stainless chassis? I believe Colt made some stainless Gold Cups.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Stainless for a competition gun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Stainless for a competition gun?

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Galling typically looks like torn/gouged/grooved metal. Normally located on either side the frame rails. Usually on same spot of slide rail where it contacts frame galling. Most galled pistols will not allow slide to travel smoothly on the frame. If you take pistol apart and run slide back and forth on frame you can feel roughness. Normal wear is smooth.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Stainless for a competition gun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Stainless for a competition gun?

Post by kwixdraw Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm

IIRC there was a period where stainless guns (both revolvers and autoloaders) just didn't seem to work well. Some of the galling problem was solved by going to different hardness or different alloys on the fitted parts. Early model 60 and 66 S&W revolvers had plated carbon steel triggers and hammers in them because they didn't have stainless that would hold up as sear surfaces and the pivots galled too. RIG used to make a grease (maybe still does) that was formulated for stainless guns.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by marlin1881 Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:18 pm

kwixdraw,  you make a good point in that stainless has changed over the years.  for instance, Ruger has made stainless guns for many years, so they know a thing or two about the issues.  I'd be interested in hearing from others, if they have a Ruger 1911, and how the fit/finish appears, and if any galling is present on the slide/frame surfaces.  I believe Ruger only makes the 1911 in stainless, but I haven't looked into their lineup lately.

marlin1881

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 am

Dewey, galling will bind up the slide. When metal galls, as in fitting a slide, the slide would get "stuck" in position and not be able to move. Slide fit is a minimal concern as long as the barrel is being located to the same spot very time. That is where your accuracy will come from.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:29 pm

What I have read matches my experience--stainless galling happens when identical alloys are mated together and then moved under some resistance/friction. Make the slide and frame from different versions of stainless and you get NO galling.

Good lubes prevent it, but I prefer guns that *will* function dry. Nitro-carburizing will make it possible to function dry in most if not all circumstances. The new hardened and changed microthin top layer is just not entirely the same as the original metal. Trade names for this abound. Anyway, when my gun works dry then I have confidence in the very light lube I apply.

Electroless nickle and especially that stuff with Teflon(R) mixed in are great ways to eliminate the galling problem. The surface is also hard enough to overcome any "softness" or wear resistance problems with some stainless alloys.

Don't treat "stainless" even in firearms as being all the same. If it's good enough for AMU barrels on M14s, I would not totally disregard it as an option.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2