Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Red Dot Purchase?

+8
BE Mike
davekp
CrankyThunder
Jerry Keefer
Dave C.
DavidR
pazmaker
beeser
12 posters

Go down

New Red Dot Purchase? Empty New Red Dot Purchase?

Post by beeser 12/16/2014, 9:45 am

I'm trying to decide which red dot(s) to purchase and after doing a little online research it seems that astigmatism throws a wrinkle in the use of these things.  I had an older Aimpoint 9000 that came with one of my guns and never noticed any of the reported distortions in the dot while briefly using it.  Since I have astigmatism should I stick with an Aimpoint or would any of the Ultradots perform the same?

beeser

Back to top Go down

New Red Dot Purchase? Empty Re: New Red Dot Purchase?

Post by pazmaker 12/16/2014, 9:59 am

I have a couple Burris and Ultradot red dot sights, and I have astigmatism. Both appear the same. I see a little distortion in both. That distortion is due to my astigmatism not being corrected 100%. I asked my 18 year old son with 20/20 vision to look at the dots and he said they were perfectly round with no flaring. I find that the flaring due to my astigmatism is minimized by using the lowest intensity setting possible and the smallest dot size.

pazmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/16/2014, 1:49 pm

I doubt brand of dot will make any difference in how the dot appears to your eye, aimpoint is a great sight but heavy if not going with the very small one, If your running a frame mount then no problem but a comp3 or 4 weighs 4oz more than a UD match and 5 oz more than a UD 1'' the heavier weight cause could cycling issues with light loads
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 12/16/2014, 2:05 pm

Beeser,  Most run Ultra Dots.  You can spend more, but will you get more? 
It's your dime do what ever makes you happy.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/16/2014, 4:08 pm

New Red Dot Purchase? IMG_1571_zps04a6b8c5
I have done quite a large number of these.. I don't think there is anything better, presently available.. Expensive, yes but the quality and durability is second to none.. Of the many that I have done, I  have yet to hear of a failure. I was first introduced to these by one of the top High Masters, when the new scope first appeared. I did not like it initially, but as we worked the design around the requirements for bullseye, it has proven its superior value..I haven't installed an Ultra Dot since these became available..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 12/16/2014, 8:41 pm

Beeser:

If you have a 9000 L or a 9000 SC by Aimpoint, you have the best.   The dot is the best, the Battery has a 7 year lifespan and it is clear as a anything else out there.  Take a look at the ultra dot shooters out there, they buy new batteries all the time.

I purchased my first Aimpoint 9000 SC when they first came out  (ten years ago?)  I also bought three new batteries for spares.  I still have the three new batteries while the ultra dot people exchange batteries every year if they need to or not.  maybe in a couple years I will put a new battery in, just in case ya know?

Regards,
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 12/16/2014, 9:08 pm

CrankyThunder wrote:Beeser:

If you have a 9000 L or a 9000 SC by Aimpoint, you have the best.   The dot is the best, the Battery has a 7 year lifespan and it is clear as a anything else out there.  Take a look at the ultra dot shooters out there, they buy new batteries all the time.

I purchased my first Aimpoint 9000 SC when they first came out  (ten years ago?)  I also bought three new batteries for spares.  I still have the three new batteries while the ultra dot people exchange batteries every year if they need to or not.  maybe in a couple years I will put a new battery in, just in case ya know?

Regards,
Crankster
I was wrong about the Aimpoint 9000 earlier.  It was actually a 3000.  Regardless, it went with the Pardini.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 12/17/2014, 7:50 am

CrankyThunder wrote:Beeser:

Regards,
Crankster

Gee, a 2032 battery costs what, about 2 bucks? And changing once a year is soooooo much trouble!
Hah!
Dave

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 12/17/2014, 7:57 am

Davekp 

They need the battery to last a long time because they are broke from buying an ampoint!

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by pazmaker 12/17/2014, 8:08 am

Aimpoint 9000 costs 2 to 3 times the cost of an Ultradot. Batteries (2032) for the Ultradot can be bought in bulk online for as low as 25 cents a piece. The more than $250 difference in price could buy around 1000 - 2032 batteries!

pazmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/17/2014, 8:32 am

I think the Aimpoint is a superior scope. That being said, what I don't like about them is that when they drop a design, they really drop it. They don't support the "obsolete" designs in any way shape or form.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 12/17/2014, 8:55 am

BE Mike wrote:I think the Aimpoint is a superior scope. That being said, what I don't like about them is that when they drop a design, they really drop it. They don't support the "obsolete" designs in any way shape or form.
Ditto that completely.  I called Aimpoint to see if I could get a replacement part for an Aimpoint 3000 and they actually laughed and said the product was discontinued years ago.  Turns out the part (lense cover) was the same as their current production but they didn't bother to mention it.  Poor customer service in my opinion.

Regardless, I'm currently leaning toward the Matchdot 2 and the Aimpoint Micro.  The Matchdot 2 probably has more features than I'll need but it gives me the opportunity as a first time buyer (other than the Aimpoint that came with one of my used gun purchases) to try out different dot sizes and what seems to be a nice feature, the "on the fly" elevation adjustment.  After using that for a while I'll either keep it or purchase the Aimpoint Micro or plain Ultradot if it has enough of the features I want and the Ultradot quality is to my liking.  Any flaws in this thinking please let me know.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/17/2014, 9:37 am

beeser wrote:
BE Mike wrote:I think the Aimpoint is a superior scope. That being said, what I don't like about them is that when they drop a design, they really drop it. They don't support the "obsolete" designs in any way shape or form.
Ditto that completely.  I called Aimpoint to see if I could get a replacement part for an Aimpoint 3000 and they actually laughed and said the product was discontinued years ago.  Turns out the part (lense cover) was the same as their current production but they didn't bother to mention it.  Poor customer service in my opinion.

Regardless, I'm currently leaning toward the Matchdot 2 and the Aimpoint Micro.  The Matchdot 2 probably has more features than I'll need but it gives me the opportunity as a first time buyer (other than the Aimpoint that came with one of my used gun purchases) to try out different dot sizes and what seems to be a nice feature, the "on the fly" elevation adjustment.  After using that for a while I'll either keep it or purchase the Aimpoint Micro or plain Ultradot if it has enough of the features I want and the Ultradot quality is to my liking.  Any flaws in this thinking please let me know.

matchdot 2 has nothing you need, and from reports ive read, when you change reticle's the zero changes too, the matchdot 1 is the better of the two for bullseye, Jerrys aimpoint setup is what I would love to have but its over my budget.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/17/2014, 9:41 am

I can't resist Razz)
Back in the day I used Tasco Pro Point 2 on my pistols (1989-1995). 895 .22 aggregate and 890 .45 aggregate.
PULL THE TRIGGER!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 12/17/2014, 10:16 am

DavidR
I don't see changing the reticle but wouldn't the "on the fly" elevation adjustment be handy when moving from 25 yds to 50 yds?

Jon,
Are you saying that any red dot is an improvement over the ProPoint2?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 12/17/2014, 11:08 am

I think that Jon is saying that the shooting is more important than the dot.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/17/2014, 11:15 am

I'm saying "shoot what ya got"! It doesn't have to be an arms race. I have Ultradots and Aimpoint Micros. I don't favor one over the other. I've shot 880's with Kart barrels and welded up Colt barrels. "Shoot what ya got"!
Fundamentals will take you farther than a scope will. So, PULL THE TRIGGER Razz)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 12/17/2014, 11:26 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I'm saying "shoot what ya got"! It doesn't have to be an arms race. I have Ultradots and Aimpoint Micros. I don't favor one over the other. I've shot 880's with Kart barrels and welded up Colt barrels. "Shoot what ya got"!
Fundamentals will take you farther than a scope will. So, PULL THE TRIGGER Razz)
Jon
No argument there.  This is my first red dot purchase and I just wanted to put my best foot forward if that's possible.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/17/2014, 11:26 am

if you all you want a matchdot 2 to over the 1 is to have the ele. knob then buy it.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/17/2014, 11:28 am

what Jon said makes since, but if you don't have one then the aimpoint or ultradot is the two top tier dots imo for our sport with very little or no parralax, its all about the lack of parallax, the cheaper you go the more generally you get, parallax = loss of points
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 12/17/2014, 4:10 pm

DavidR wrote:what Jon said makes since, but if you don't have one then the aimpoint or ultradot is the two top tier dots imo for our sport with very little or no parralax, its all about the lack of parallax, the cheaper you go the more generally you get, parallax = loss of points
Every point I have ever lost has been doing something stupid with my grip, my wrist or my trigger finger. 

Parallax at the short distance of fifty yards didn't enter into it.  

However, if you have a slide mounted dot on your 45, the Aimpoints, and the Ultradots will stand up the best.

I have had some issues with customer service at Aimpoint.   I have not had those issues with Ultradot.  

When you start seeing the dot as just an indicator to let you know that the barrel is pointed towards the correct target so you can start your trigger pull, you are on the right track.  

My opinion of the Aimpoint, is that it is the best scope out there.    An unmodified Micro can be problematic shooting  in the rain.  But if you cant afford to put an Aimpoint on all your guns, it is best to just buy four Ultradots with the same money.  A decent set of horizontally split rings, makes it the best value on the line.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/17/2014, 4:20 pm

Great suggestion Kate, I'm glad you brought up the horizontally split rings. I advise everyone to use horizontal rings so you can take your scope off and put it back on without really losing zero. Vertically split rings are not forgiving when doing this.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/18/2014, 1:29 pm

Dots from days gone by.
The massive Tasco PDP3 was a rather popular dot many years ago..
The Aimpoint Comp also saw quite a following, but despite it's robust appearance, it only weighed 5.3 ounces. The new Ultra Dot micro tips the scales at 5 ounces.
The 2000 in the fore ground is an early Aimpoint.
The PDP3 weighed approx. 8.5 ounces and is 5.5 inches long.
Now an Aimpoint 9000L weighs  in at 7.4 ounces and is a fraction under 8 inches long. The 9000SC is 6.4 inches long.   The slide is approx. 7.375
I have no doubt that anything Aimpoint makes is  super quality. But the average slide weight is between 12/13+ ounces, depending on manufacturer, cast or forged.... The 9000 series optics weighs half of the slide mass.
Mass added to the slide increases the amount of force required to operate the system. Normally, for that much mass, radically reduced springs along with an increase in load/velocity/bullet weight to get the system to function. Nearly 1/2 lb added to the gun will not work for many folks, even if you hooked the optic up on the frame..I am glad it works for you.. But I can see why I have never been asked to install one..
New Red Dot Purchase? IMG_1575_zps42782c46New Red Dot Purchase? IMG_1575_zpsc5a64b9b

Last edited by Jerry Keefer on 12/19/2014, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets 12/19/2014, 3:57 pm

Jon is correct. Shoot it. Broke 2650 with old early model tasco. Have both kinds match dots today.I Like the big elevation knob. Still have the tasco on back up guns

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 12/20/2014, 8:17 am

I ended up buying a Matchdot 2 primarily because of its multiple configurations.  It may serve as a good platform to try out some of the features that I'm still undecided about.  The "on the fly" elevation adjustment still seems like a good idea.  At least no one said anything negative about it here.  Also, even though the Aimpoint Micro is what I'll eventually settle on, a choice has to be made between their two dot versions.  The Matchdot 2 with its multiple MOA dot configurations should help me decide which one to choose.  It seems to me that with micro sized red dots now available from a number of manufacturers that this is ultimately the way to go once their limited features are settled upon for Bullseye and the price drops a little.  It was strange that no one mentioned the Ultradot HD-Micro.  Anyway, this is my first step with a red dot.  It will go on a S&W 686 with a WEIG-A-TINNY mount, as suggested earlier.  I'm already looking into mounts for the 1911 but from what I've seen so far they don't look good.

(Edit) I forgot to mention that to the "shoot it" comments I shoot 3 times a week, 2 hours each outing, not to mention the time in between training and dry firing.  My chew gum and walk at the same time approach also includes the search for ideas to improve my equipment and fundamentals.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down