Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B&L Balscope 10x Spotter?

5 posters

Go down

B&L Balscope 10x Spotter? Empty B&L Balscope 10x Spotter?

Post by GrumpyOldMan 12/24/2014, 11:04 am

Looks like this model dates to the 1960s and did not have the 1/4x20 tripod boss.

Is 10x enough to spot .22 holes at 50?

I have a line on one with a clamp attachment to a rod that looks like it would fit the v-block on an old pistol box...and this does look "period correct" for the box and guns...

Looks like they were sold for birders, to be carried in a belt pouch...

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

B&L Balscope 10x Spotter? Empty Dear Grumpy;

Post by CrankyThunder 12/24/2014, 1:54 pm

Hey Grumps:

If you get that ten power and expect to see 22 holes at 50 foot your going to be disappointed.  If you were a cranky young guy with good eyesight you might have a chance but a grumpy old man with worn out eyeballs, it is hopeless. 

Let the birders carry it around on their belt, binoculars would be a better choice.

Also, don't be too concerned in presenting the appearance of a old shooting box.  While grumpy old men always have a old shooting box that they have had for a couple decades, the smart grumpies have recognized the advantage of modern spotting scopes with their newfangled lens coatings and have upgraded a long time ago.  While there are many that are quick to point out that a spotter will not put any points on your score, the patina on a old scope aint gonna help you either. 

For what its worth, I personally agree and acknowledge that while a good spotting scope will not add any points to your target, it sure helps figuring out how far ahead you are when you aim it at the target in the next lane!

If your trying to build up on the intimidation factor with the "extensively field tested" appearance of your equipment, a huge chaw of 'bacca with a messy cuspidor is lots more effective.

Regards,
Cranky

Last edited by CrankyThunder on 12/24/2014, 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer)
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

B&L Balscope 10x Spotter? Empty Re: B&L Balscope 10x Spotter?

Post by BE Mike 12/24/2014, 5:32 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Looks like this model dates to the 1960s and did not have the 1/4x20 tripod boss.

Is 10x enough to spot .22 holes at 50?

I have a line on one with a clamp attachment to a rod that looks like it would fit the v-block on an old pistol box...and this does look "period correct" for the box and guns...

Looks like they were sold for birders, to be carried in a belt pouch...
I think 20X is the least I would consider, especially in light of the fact that you are an old man. I used to have a Balscope 20, I think I got it from Gil Hebard Guns, back in the day. It was adequate.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/24/2014, 6:20 pm

I agree a good 20x is the lowest power and then you have to look real close
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 12/24/2014, 6:52 pm

A good rule of thumb is not to go less than 20X and not less than 50mm.  But be careful that it will fit in your box when closed.
Get as much eye releaf as possible.  The best thing is to ask other B.E. shooters if you can look through thier scope on the line.

Yes I know that there is at least one majic brand and model of unobtainium scope out there that is tiny but it may or may not be on the
market this decade.

Take your time choosing a good scope, it may cost more but is cheaper in the long run and will last a life time.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 12/24/2014, 7:08 pm

Well, since I was in ever-increasingly strong glasses since the month after 1st grade ended, I have had great luck using the focus ring on just about any optic to get myself a clear look. Heck, on a bright day with a set of reallycheap plastic bodied $30 8x24 binoculars, I could spot .30 caliber bullet holes at 200 yards just by holding a bit steady...through the center 2/3 of the field, at least.

I would not expect a very old B&L to have the same crappy resolution as K-Mart Focal brand...seeing others' acquisitions years ago and having the misfortune of looking through a few at the store, I went 20+ years with a rule of never buy any optic without looking through one first. Then I discovered Sniper's Hide and the distressing idea that with modern prices, $500 is a cheap rifle scope...

The companion pistol box has an old Bushnell 20x50 which is a very strong performer, does everything needed. Would be nice to match it but nothing quite the same is up for sale right now.

I see the turquoise color on those Balscopes and it takes me back to that odd decade, the 60s, at least the time before the Beatles started smoking dope.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down