Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

single action too light

4 posters

Go down

single action too light Empty single action too light

Post by orpheoet Sun 31 May 2015, 10:13 pm

I bought a S&W Model 14-3 and the single action trigger pull is consistently 36 oz. I noticed that the double action surfaces looked surprisingly NOT smooth. I suspect the gun was mostly shot single action... Judging by how dirty it was under the plate it seems factory original inside. Is this a common problem with older revolvers? What is the solution?
2015-05-31
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

single action too light Empty Re: single action too light

Post by james r chapman Mon 01 Jun 2015, 4:49 am

springs or the strain screw is loose or short. take a spent primer and place it between the strain screw and the mainspring and tighten it up. remeasure.

Can you push off the hammer when at full cock? if so, the hammer most likely needs replacing imho, although some smiths might be able to recut the hammer sear.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:19 am

If you can push the hammer off full cock, the gun will not pass a safety check and would be disqualified from a match. A revolver smith can recut  the hammer and install new springs.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Mon 01 Jun 2015, 6:33 pm

orpheoet wrote:I bought a S&W Model 14-3 and the single action trigger pull is consistently 36 oz. I noticed that the double action surfaces looked surprisingly NOT smooth. I suspect the gun was mostly shot single action... Judging by how dirty it was under the plate it seems factory original inside. Is this a common problem with older revolvers? What is the solution?
2015-05-31
Usually, this is a very simple fix, with a Power fixture.. By increasing the the angle of the sear ( trigger single action engagement surface ) which makes the engagement area/tip sharper, the pull weight will increase. The hammer hook is usually only .007/.008 deep . It can be reworked, but it is almost impossible to do by hand, and rarely necessary.
If, the rebound spring has been reduced/replaced, or the main spring replaced or screw backed out, all of which can also contribute to a lighter single action, and or push off..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Mon 01 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

I replaced the trigger return spring with a 19 Lb and I'm good again. A little under 3 lbs. Thanks
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon 01 Jun 2015, 8:51 pm

single action too light 2935285009
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content