Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO

+3
Wobbley
james r chapman
lablover
7 posters

Go down

Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO Empty Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO

Post by lablover 7/30/2015, 7:06 pm

So this year I went to Perry earlier to shoot the Rifle matches.  I watched the pistol guys go at it and fell in love.  After a few conversations I was led to look at the Springfield RO to get me started on the CMP/EIC Pistol matches.  I reload lots of ammo for the rifles and some for pistols.  I have a dillon 650 XL and load for 9mm and casual 45 acp stuff.  Now I wanna get into loading some suitable ammo for the RO 45 and not sure where to start.  I'm thinking a good 200 gr SWC???  Again, I'm guessing here.  I have tons of titegroup powder that may help  Smile  Currently have about 1000 45 cases ready to go.

Also, I'll be reading my brains out on how to improve on the trigger a bit on the RO.  

You guys seems o have an OUTSTANDING site here.  I look forward to participating!

Look forward to any advice on my new toy as far as loads etc and any smithing tips for it I can get

Semper Fi

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO Empty Re: Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO

Post by james r chapman 7/30/2015, 7:22 pm

cmp/eic you'll want 185 gr jacketed zero or noslers.

I really like the 200 and 185 lead bullets from Magnus.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO Empty Re: Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO

Post by Wobbley 7/30/2015, 7:54 pm

If you can afford them, Noslers for matches and LSWC for practice.  Otherwise use Noslers for long line and EIC. LSWC weight is whatever shoots best.  You'll also need a decent 22.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/30/2015, 8:41 pm

james r chapman wrote:cmp/eic you'll want 185 gr jacketed zero or noslers.

I really like the 200 and 185 lead bullets from Magnus.
Any preference between the two?  I figured I'd try some 185 LSWC from magnus.  Only because I have no clue who makes a good or bread LSWC bullet.  I'll have to dig around for a good titegroup load
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Took the plunge..and new Springfield RO Empty CMP/EIC vs NRA

Post by carykiteboarder 7/30/2015, 8:42 pm

First, you need to understand the distinction between CMP/EIC and NRA "Bullseye".  You stated interest in CMP/EIC. There are restrictions for those matches and you need to be careful not to confuse what might be legal between the two.  Your RO is fine as is but if you start messing with the trigger and taking "Bullseye" advice, you could end up with a gun not legal for EIC matches.  In particular, section 6.3.1 of the rule book requires a minimum trigger weight of 4.0 pounds and they are weighed prior to the match. (NRA rules allow 3.5 pounds)

For EIC Service Pistol matches, metal-jacketed bullets are required.  Nosler/Zero 185gr JHP are commonly used. (Rule 6.6.2)  Lead is fine for NRA matches.

Also, as of this year, there are EIC matches for .22 Rimfire pistols.  Those pistol/ammo restrictions are also covered in the 2015 rule book. Search for "CMP Competition Rules for Service Rifle and Pistol" 19th Edition 2015.
Glen
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/30/2015, 8:47 pm

carykiteboarder wrote:First, you need to understand the distinction between CMP/EIC and NRA "Bullseye".  You stated interest in CMP/EIC. There are restrictions for those matches and you need to be careful not to confuse what might be legal between the two.  Your RO is fine as is but if you start messing with the trigger and taking "Bullseye" advice, you could end up with a gun not legal for EIC matches.  In particular, section 6.3.1 of the rule book requires a minimum trigger weight of 4.0 pounds and they are weighed prior to the match. (NRA rules allow 3.5 pounds)

For EIC Service Pistol matches, metal-jacketed bullets are required.  Nosler/Zero 185gr JHP are commonly used. (Rule 6.6.2)  Lead is fine for NRA matches.

Also, as of this year, there are EIC matches for .22 Rimfire pistols.  Those pistol/ammo restrictions are also covered in the 2015 rule book. Search for "CMP Competition Rules for Service Rifle and Pistol" 19th Edition 2015.
Glen
Awesome info Glen  Totally appreciate it!  Thank you for the distinction between the two...NRA/CMP  I didn't know.  Outstanding info.  This is the kind of info I need before I do something I can't undo.  I also have a great looking Desert Warrior the Wife bought me as a gift a few years back.  Not sure what I can use it for in the matches because it has the rail on the frame for a light or laser or whatever.  

For practice with the .45  IS a LSWC more appropriate price wise.  I have no issues buying the Noslers but would rather not have to for practice.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/30/2015, 9:41 pm

Yes, use lead for practice.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 7/30/2015, 9:52 pm

Lablover,

If you keep your RO set up to be CMP/EIC legal, it automatically is legal for NRA/Bullseye/Conventional pistol.

I currently shoot all my NRA matches with my 1 Springfield that is CMP/EIC legal.

I also use the Springfield lower and I put a .22 Conversion on it for both the CMP .22 EIC and for NRA Bullseye's .22 stage.

If that course of action sounds good to you, I recommend you call Nelson Custom Guns at 480-699-8040 about their conversion and let them know your story and that we recommended you call them.  They will set you up.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/31/2015, 6:37 am

Rob Kovach wrote:Lablover,

If you keep your RO set up to be CMP/EIC legal, it automatically is legal for NRA/Bullseye/Conventional pistol.

I currently shoot all my NRA matches with my 1 Springfield that is CMP/EIC legal.

I also use the Springfield lower and I put a .22 Conversion on it for both the CMP .22 EIC and for NRA Bullseye's .22 stage.

If that course of action sounds good to you, I recommend you call Nelson Custom Guns at 480-699-8040 about their conversion and let them know your story and that we recommended you call them.  They will set you up.
Outstanding

Thank you sir
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/31/2015, 9:36 am

you can only use a full metal jacket bullet for CMP/EIC it can be a hollowpoint of a swc as long as its a full metal jacket, plated or coated or lead is not legal, your trigger has to be able to dead lift a nra 4 pound weight also.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 7/31/2015, 10:01 am

Good decision on the RO.
For easy/cheap trigger improvement install a Wolff 24# ILS main(hammer spring) and every few hundred rounds put a tiny bit of Neco MolySlide on the sear/hammer hooks. Several of us here have done  this resulting in good feeling trigger pulls of 3½-4 lbs.
Keep in mind CMP/EIC trigger pull is 4 lbs min.. We've had no ignition problems with the lighter hammer springs. 

A friend shoots an AA 22lr "Target" conversion on his RO lower with good results.   -- Russ
[url=https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/SPRINGFIELD/1911A1 SERIES/cID1/mID60/dID267]https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SPRINGFIELD/1911A1%20SERIES/cID1/mID60/dID267[/url]

ps - The ILS housing main spring #s don't sound right compared to standard housing #s? - Trust Wolff.  
I like the SA ILS housings with the  provided take-down pin.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/31/2015, 1:01 pm

Russ OR wrote:Good decision on the RO.
For easy/cheap trigger improvement install a Wolff 24# ILS main(hammer spring) and every few hundred rounds put a tiny bit of Neco MolySlide on the sear/hammer hooks. Several of us here have done  this resulting in good feeling trigger pulls of 3½-4 lbs.
Keep in mind CMP/EIC trigger pull is 4 lbs min.. We've had no ignition problems with the lighter hammer springs. 

A friend shoots an AA 22lr "Target" conversion on his RO lower with good results.   -- Russ
[url=https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/SPRINGFIELD/1911A1 SERIES/cID1/mID60/dID267]https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SPRINGFIELD/1911A1%20SERIES/cID1/mID60/dID267[/url]

ps - The ILS housing main spring #s don't sound right compared to standard housing #s? - Trust Wolff.  
I like the SA ILS housings with the  provided take-down pin.
I'll look into that spring and the mollyslide as well.  Thanks a million
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down