Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE

+5
Rob Kovach
s1120
jmdavis
STEVE SAMELAK
JIMPGOV
9 posters

Go down

BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE Empty BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE

Post by JIMPGOV 9/22/2015, 10:32 am

I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO TITLE THIS THREAD SO I JUST WENT WITH THAT. I WORKED A 2 DAY 2700 THIS WEEKEND. I WANT TO TALK ABOUT WHAT I SAW WORKING THE LINE , AS FAR AS MALFUNCTIONS.
NO, NOT REALLY GOING TO COVER THE 22.

WHAT I SAW WAS THIS. LOTS OF MALFUNCTIONS WHICH SEEM TO BE RELATED TO THE PRIMERS NOT BEING FULLY SEATED. BEAUTIFULLY POLISHED BRASS (I DO HAVE TO ADMIT I DRANK THE KOOLAID ON THE WET CLEANING . IT'S AWESOME.) PERFECTLY PLACED INTO CUSTOM MADE TRAYS THAT HOLD 50-130RDS. BULLET TIPS WIPED CLEAN AS A WHISTLE. BUT THE FAILURE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE PRIMERS WERE AT LEAST SEATED FLUSH AMAZED ME. (I SEAT MINE TO -.004 BELOW FLUSH. I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I DO USE A 1050 WHICH SEATS ON THE DOWN STROKE. ) THERE WERE INSTANCES WHERE AFTER THE FIRING PIN HAD STRUCK THE PRIMER , THE PRIMER WAS STILL ABOVE FLUSH. THE HIGH PRIMER AFFECTED .45, .38SPL ,.32 AND 9MM DURING THE 2 DAYS.
I'M JUST THINKING AFTER TAKING ALL THAT TIME CLEANING AND LOADING INTO TRAYS A SWIPE ACROSS THE PRIMER WITH A FINGER TIP YOU SHOULD FEEL A HIGH PRIMER. I HAD ALWAYS USED A LEE HAND PRIMER THAN TO NUDGE ANY HIGH PRIMER TO FLUSH(PRE-1050). WHAT'S A COUPLE OF EXTRA MINUTES TO STOP THE MALFUNCTIONS.

POOR CRIMPING WHICH ALLOWED BULLET TO BE PUSHED INTO THE CASE CAUSING JAMS. THAN ON .32 WC LOADS POOR CRIMPING NOT ALLOWING PROPER FEEDING.
TOO MANY CLICKS AND NO GO BANG. TOO MANY RUFFLED FEATHERS THAT'S NO ONE'S FAULT BUT OUR OWN.
JUST A THOUGHT.
THANK YOU COACH DITKA , I WILL SIT QUIETLY AND WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE Empty Re: BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 9/22/2015, 11:05 am

How's about looking at the back of the case to see which way the primer is seated?
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE Empty Re: BAD AMMO , LOADING POORLY. EQUALS POOR MATCH PERFORMANCE

Post by jmdavis 9/22/2015, 11:13 am

Before my ammo goes into the box, bullet down, it is all checked through a case gauge, part of that includes visually checking and feeling the primer. When they are checked they are marked down the heads with a sharpie. 

I don't know that is the best way, but it seems to be working for me. In the past 2k rounds I have had one backward primer, and 4 split cases that were discovered this way after loading. The checked rounds chamber and fire without issue.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 9/22/2015, 11:19 am

You know... I think we all have done that a time or two... I sure know I did!!  But really...  after a short time you really should have you procedures down, and if it ever does happen, it should not be in any way common!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 9/22/2015, 11:33 am

One question I have to ask on a regular basis..... Are you   SURE you want to put that round back in the magazine???  If it clicked or misfed once, what makes you think it will work the next time?
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 9/22/2015, 11:38 am

That's SO funny.  That just happened at the last match I was at....I thought the guy was just distracted but I guess that's a common thing!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 9/22/2015, 11:44 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:One question I have to ask on a regular basis..... Are you   SURE you want to put that round back in the magazine???  If it clicked or misfed once, what makes you think it will work the next time?

Ive done it with a revolver during practice. I would never put it back during a match!!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/22/2015, 4:24 pm

set the loaded rounds on a flat surface, high primers rounds will wobble.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 9/22/2015, 9:00 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:How's about looking at the back of the case to see which way the primer is seated?
YEP STEVE YOUR RIGHT. THERE WAS ON OF THOSE, I FORGOT ABOUT THAT.

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets 9/23/2015, 3:21 pm

We have a new 100 rd case gauge block made of aluminum. Made in Texas on cnc machines. Price is 100.00 plus shipping.
Made fast work of my checking loads. Primer height, marking. brass in one pass. 100 at a time. Works great with the hinged top 100 rd ammo boxes. I load on Dillon 1050. Makes short time to inspect and box 500 rds after a load session.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 9/24/2015, 8:41 am

I made it through the outdoor season alibi free. I attribute that to this forum and advice from Matt Dardas and Dave Salyer.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 10/6/2015, 11:00 pm

I'm with JMDAVIS. After a couple of jams early in my loading I learned to get a gauge and everything gets gauged before it goes in the box. I have caught a couple of split cases after crimping that way. Any failure ammo gets saved for checking at practice.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down