Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra dot for the .45

5 posters

Go down

Ultra dot for the .45 Empty Ultra dot for the .45

Post by Paper-Puncher 2/3/2012, 10:46 am

I sold my IZH-46m so ,I had some mad money to play with....I had a Millet sp-1 on the .45 and it seemed to hold well but I went a head and ordered a 1'' ultra for the .45 and the millet will serve well on my other Ruger mkIII....I had thought the millet was shifting zero but after removeing it I noticed the rear screw on the slide mount was loose....I like the millet sight but wanted the ultra for obviuos reasons on the .45......so its ordered and on the way.....I also got some 180grs from penn bullets....like there 200s alot but figured the 180's will serve well at 50ft while I work on my .45 skills.....Looks like its gonna be a .22 weekend ......ultra dot should be here mid next wk same for the bullets....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Ultra dot for the .45 Empty Re: Ultra dot for the .45

Post by AllAces 2/9/2012, 10:46 am

You will like the Ultradot, especially if you ordered the Matchdot. I have one and find the 2 MOA dot works great for bulleye matches. Adjusting up and down for 25 and 50 yards is very easy as one click equals 1/4 MOA. If you have the Matchdot II, the latest version, the elevation adjustment is via a large knob vs using a screwdriver or dime. I'm shooting Penn 200 gr LSWC, using N310 and the drop from 25 to 50 yards is 4", and easy adjustment to make.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/9/2012, 11:06 am

Problem with the match dot and the matchdot ll is the weight, at 4.9 and 5.1 oz opposed to the 1'' dots 3.9 oz if mounted on the slide you will get sluggish operation even with hotter loads unless you frame mount them.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Tunstall 2/9/2012, 4:58 pm

DavidR wrote:Problem with the match dot and the matchdot ll is the weight, at 4.9 and 5.1 oz opposed to the 1'' dots 3.9 oz if mounted on the slide you will get sluggish operation even with hotter loads unless you frame mount them.
Just put in a lighter recoil spring.

Don Tunstall

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/10/2012, 10:01 am

Its sluggish even running a 10lb spring with my 3.9 BE load, a 9lb spring starts to effect lockup. Plenty of people use them, but ive owned 4 matchdots, and sold them and went back to one inch as have many other shooters just my preference others may like them.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 2/10/2012, 10:51 am

Definitely one of those personal preference things with a lot of opinions running the full range of available dot sizes. After trying all of them I have settled on the Matchdot and 4dot scopes for their larger available dots, which seem to give less perceived movement and make it easier to just pull the trigger. Better results for me that way than when I'm watching a smaller dot seem to dance around all over the place which tends to lead to worse trigger control. I have also been able to get my guns working with no less than an 11# spring, once broken in, using a 4.0 BE load so the heavier weight hasn't been a problem. If possible try the different sizes and see what works for you.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down