Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron Sight Distances

4 posters

Go down

Iron Sight Distances Empty Iron Sight Distances

Post by Allen Barnett 8/13/2016, 2:21 pm

I am having a custom extended front sight made for my Ruger.  I have read Rule 3.4 in regards to sight distances on 22 pistols and it states a maximum distance of 10 inches measured from the "apex of the front sight to the apex of the rear sight". Anybody know what actual measurement points would be?  Webster dictionary defines apex as the top most point".  With that in mind I am guessing that the measurement would be taken from the face of the rear sight to the front of the front sight.  Anybody ever had a pistol checked for this?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Iron Sight Distances Empty Re: Iron Sight Distances

Post by LenV 8/13/2016, 3:08 pm

Allen,  That is the correct way to measure. You are making the pistol "not legal" for the .22 EIC match if you ever want to use it for that purpose. Read 6.3.2  http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=20160510

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 8/13/2016, 4:43 pm

Len I understand the 22 EIC rules as I have another Ruger that I intend to use for that if I ever get a chance to shoot a 22 EIC match.  The measurement currently from the face of the rear sight to the face of the front sight as you are looking at the sights as if you were going to fire the pistol is 9 7/8 inches.  If you measure from the face of the rear sight to the front edge of the front sight it is 10 1/4 inches, which is over the legal limit.  See my question, am legal or not?  Depends on where you measure from and to.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/13/2016, 4:59 pm

I was told you measure the face that faces the shooter is the right way because that is what you see.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 8/13/2016, 5:08 pm

It's the tallest point on the rear sight which is usually the back edge, to the tallest point on the front sight which is the rear point of a patridge blade. 

diagram image
http://tinyurl.com/hzbbc8u

http://tinyurl.com/jdtakvh
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/13/2016, 5:16 pm

The rules do cover it. Apex is the highest point. Some front sights have a ramp to the front sight with not much of a bump where flat. You would still measure to the apex. This works measuring both directions. If you have trouble just use a metal ruler and measure between contact points if you lay ruler (straight edge) across the sights. There should be no difference in measurement in either direction.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down