Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50)

4 posters

Go down

Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50) Empty Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50)

Post by Mac2 Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 am

Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50)

How does one move compressed air from 300 bar tank to pistol’s 200 bar cylinder?  Slowly, is part of the answer.

Facts: No issue with Scuba store filling 300 bar tank to Parts needed to charge St300 bar through the tank’s 300 bar DIN 477 (7 thread) female connector.  Tank was provided with hose ending in what is described as 1/8 inch BSPP female quick-disconnect fitting. [BSP is British Standard taper Pipe thread]

Pistol is provided with a brass adapter having what is probably a proprietary male end that is inserted into pistol’s cylinder and with a male 200 bar DIN 477 (5 thread) connector on the other end.  Some places, the DIN end is also described as being 232 bar.  The DIN end of the adapter is male with about 22 mm across threads.

An adapter with a 200 bar (5 thread) DIN female on one end and with a compatible 1/8 inch male BSPP quick-disconnect on the other end is desirable.  Such objects in stainless steel or brass seem unavailable - and in any case are not ever described well enough to be certain of compatibility.

Additionally, 1/8 inch quick-disconnects seem to exist in at least three flavors that may not be compatible with each other.  (BSP, NPT, Foster, and others)

LP50 seems desirable for Winter indoor bullseye practice in the North.  What specific parts are needed, and from whom are they available, so that pistol cylinders can be charged?  Other bullseye competitors must have solved this dilemma.

I am appalled at the lack of specificity I have found when high pressure connectors are described.    Thanks for any help that can be provided.    Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50) Empty Re: Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50)

Post by robert84010 Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 am

give Scott a call. he has been a Steyr dealer for many years.

http://pilkguns.com/

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50) Empty Re: Loading Steyr Air Pistol’s Cylinder (LP10 & LP50)

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 am

Would it make sense to have the dive shop fill to 200 bar to start with?
That is close to what we filled 80 cu ft tanks when I was diving.  3000 psi/204 bar.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 am

The tank has a female 300 bar Din 477 (7 thread) connector (used by the shop for filling the tank).  The provided pistol's adapter ends in a male 200 bar Din 477 (five thread) connector, which (for safety reasons) does not fit into a female 300 bar Din 477 (seven thread) connector.

Other bullseye competitors who use air pistols (single shot) for practice use 200 bar tanks having 200 bar DIN 477 (five thread) connectors and directly attach pistol's cylinder to the tank's connector.  The result is that their pistols are not charged to 200 bar and trips for a tank refill are frequent. However, such a scheme is stone simple and as safe as it can be (except for the bending moment inherent in attaching a pistol's cylinder directly to the tank's connector).  The latter is why use of hose is desirable.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the fight-of-the-connectors continues.   Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Update:  I finally found a sequence of connectors/adapters such that LP50 cylinders can be charged from 300 BAR tank.  One has to pay attention and stop when little tank gets to 200 BAR.  After this issue was fixed, I discovered that the new LP50 just would not work.  I was so discouraged that I abandoned the project.  Finally, a friend who said he had once fixed a similar pistol (by fabricating a part) asked to see the LP50.  Through a logical process, it was discovered that the factory "crafted" the magazine hole undersize and the magazines (at $75) slightly oversize.  The pistol could not have worked.  Application of fine file to the Al magazines where oversize and - presto - the pistol would at last function.  So much for quality control and German craftsmanship.  Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 am

I am NOT an air pistol guy.  That said, the idea of charging a cylinder designed for 200 bar from a 300 bar source without some foolproof way to limit over-charging sounds beyond dangerous to me.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down