Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye?

+5
Richard Ashmore
spursnguns
DavidR
SW-52
Chris Miceli
9 posters

Go down

Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye? Empty Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye?

Post by Guest 3/9/2017, 4:16 am

In your opinion, What is the most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye in .22, 9mm and .45?

Back to top Go down

Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye? Empty Re: Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye?

Post by Chris Miceli 3/9/2017, 4:44 am

22 - Eley Tenex & Lapua Midas +, 9mm Atlanta Arms, 45 Atlanta Arms & Zero 185jhp.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye? Empty Re: Most consistent and accurate brand and type of commercial ammo for Bullseye?

Post by SW-52 3/9/2017, 5:09 am

Chris Miceli wrote:22 - Eley Tenex & Lapua Midas +, 9mm Atlanta Arms, 45 Atlanta Arms & Zero 185jhp.
i watch a video of accuracy x,atlanta arms in .45 mega accurate with super close group.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 3/9/2017, 9:05 am

22 is a crap shoot ive seen CCI out perform eley 10x it more depends on the gun, 9mm and 45 atlanta arms hands down
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 3/9/2017, 10:16 am

DavidR wrote:22 is a crap shoot ive seen CCI out perform eley 10x it more depends on the gun

+1

For me, it's either CCI or Eley in .22LR.

In factory .45ACP, it would be ASYM Precision "National Match" and "Practical Match".

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Ashmore 3/9/2017, 10:33 am

Each batch of .22 ammunition is unique, as is each barrel. That's why Eley and Lapua have customer ranges. I once batch tested TENEX at the Eley Customer Range; I had three Hammerli pistols and they had seventeen batches of TENEX available. I found ammunition that would consistently shoot under 1.0 inches at 50 meters for each pistol, but there was no correlation from batch to batch and pistol to pistol. I had a batch of Federal as my standard, it shot well in all three pistols, but not as well as the best TENEX.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/9/2017, 11:45 am

DavidR wrote:22 is a crap shoot ive seen CCI out perform eley 10x it more depends on the gun, 9mm and 45 atlanta arms hands down
David makes a good point about CCI. One thing I can do with lapua and eley is order the specific lot of ammo if CCI did this I would be happy Smile

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 3/9/2017, 9:22 pm

I really like Wilson Combat reloads for .45. Zero Ammunition for .38 spl. CCI sv for .22.
I need to start reloading.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/9/2017, 11:29 pm

Thanks for your replies. In have checked Atlanta Arms. They are not overpriced. About .50 per round for a box and about .40 per round for a case. That's on a per with Ammo.com. I will check these out next:

.45ACP, it would be ASYM Precision "National Match" and "Practical Match"

Wilson Combat reloads for .45. Zero Ammunition for .38 spl. CCI sv for .22.

Thank you,
IT1 Wesley B. Tilson USNR Ret.
Viet Nam and Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran
Veteran crisis support:[url=tel:1-800-273-8255]1-800-273-8255[/url]
Text HELP to 838255.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/9/2017, 11:49 pm

Cheaper to reload.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 3/10/2017, 1:08 pm

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:Thanks for your replies. In have checked Atlanta Arms. They are not overpriced. About .50 per round for a box and about .40 per round for a case. That's on a per with Ammo.com. I will check these out next:
Wesley, when people here are talking about Atlanta Arms 45 ammo, they are talking about the 185gr jacketed hollow-point (JHP) ammo, not the 230gr round-nose stuff.  The 185gr JHP (https://atlantaarms.com/products/45-acp-185gr-jhp.html) is currently (as of 3/10/17) listed at 64 cents per round (cpr) for a box, and 49 cpr for a case, and that does not include shipping costs.

As others have mentioned, reloading is much cheaper. Different people may give different numbers, but generally speaking, you can make 200gr lead semi-wad-cutters (LSWC) for around 14-18 cpr, and you can make 185gr JHP for around 22-28 cpr.  

When you consider that bullseye is hard, and thus you'll likely shoot 10,000+ of rounds of 45 to get good at it, that price difference becomes significant.
    10,000 rounds at 50 cpr is $5,000
    10,000 rounds at 24 cpr is $2,400 (and if you make half LSWC and half JHP, you'll probably average closer to 20 cpr or $2,000)
That price difference pays for the reloading equipment, with lots of money left over.  Obviously reloading costs a lot of time and effort, too, but it also has rewards like making the most accurate ammo for your gun, knowledge gained, and more.  

So, if you're just curious about bullseye, buying a few boxes of Atlanta Arms 185gr JHP will let you try it without having to wonder whether poor performance is due to the ammo or not.  But if you're in it for the long haul, reloading is so much cheaper, it's almost impossible to ignore.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 3/10/2017, 1:13 pm

bdas wrote:
wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:Thanks for your replies. In have checked Atlanta Arms. They are not overpriced. About .50 per round for a box and about .40 per round for a case. That's on a per with Ammo.com. I will check these out next:
Wesley, when people here are talking about Atlanta Arms 45 ammo, they are talking about the 185gr jacketed hollow-point (JHP) ammo, not the 230gr round-nose stuff.  The 185gr JHP (https://atlantaarms.com/products/45-acp-185gr-jhp.html) is currently (as of 3/10/17) listed at 64 cents per round (cpr) for a box, and 49 cpr for a case, and that does not include shipping costs.

As others have mentioned, reloading is much cheaper. Different people may give different numbers, but generally speaking, you can make 200gr lead semi-wad-cutters (LSWC) for around 14-18 cpr, and you can make 185gr JHP for around 22-28 cpr.  

When you consider that bullseye is hard, and thus you'll likely shoot 10,000+ of rounds of 45 to get good at it, that price difference becomes significant.
    10,000 rounds at 50 cpr is $5,000
    10,000 rounds at 24 cpr is $2,400 (and if you make half LSWC and half JHP, you'll probably average closer to 20 cpr or $2,000)
That price difference pays for the reloading equipment, with lots of money left over.  Obviously reloading costs a lot of time and effort, too, but it also has rewards like making the most accurate ammo for your gun, knowledge gained, and more.  

So, if you're just curious about bullseye, buying a few boxes of Atlanta Arms 185gr JHP will let you try it without having to wonder whether poor performance is due to the ammo or not.  But if you're in it for the long haul, reloading is so much cheaper, it's almost impossible to ignore.
I don't save any money reloading because I just shoot more.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue 3/10/2017, 2:56 pm

I don't save any money reloading because I just shoot more.  Don"

Agreed, but isn't getting to shoot more the whole point of reloading?   Smile

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down