Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bill Davis Grips

+4
Chris Miceli
LenV
Magload
Tim:H11
8 posters

Go down

Bill Davis Grips Empty Bill Davis Grips

Post by Tim:H11 4/17/2017, 3:04 pm

I remember saying I'd come back and say something about the Bill Davis grips I got for my S&W M14-3 a long time ago and never did. Sorry. Couldn't find the old thread either. So I got them some time ago and I've played with em on and off. I like them a lot. Very comfortable. But very long. And I find myself having to choke up a lot on these. They were without a doubt intended for two hand hold shooting. But still they are cheap, feel good, and I don't have to worry about breaking wood grips. They are rubber like and stay put in your hand with a firm grip easily. No pivoting or sliding like a finely finished pair of wood grips might have a tendency to do. All in all I say it's money well spent and I'll be buying a second pair for my S&W M17-3.

Back to top Go down

Bill Davis Grips Empty Re: Bill Davis Grips

Post by Magload 4/17/2017, 3:17 pm

Just like plastic rubber does not belong on guns.  I know a lot of revolvers come with rubber grips but the person who decided to put those on was probable a tree hugger and was trying to save a rain forest.  You can't get a fine hand checkering job on rubber like you can on wood.  Rubber is just plain ugly and doesn't take a fine hand rubbed finish very well.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/17/2017, 3:25 pm

They don't make these in wood. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Very Happy

Bill Davis Grips Dscf1024
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/17/2017, 3:28 pm

Ok those are petty cool I could see a set of those on one of my guns.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 4/17/2017, 3:34 pm

if you want some revolver input i would defer you to Kent Le.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/17/2017, 3:35 pm

I was told by a Border Patrol team rubber moves around,wood doesn't.
He was right. Hogue makes a wood version of the Davis grip.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 4/17/2017, 3:40 pm

Well so far I like em. The only other grip I would think of trying right now is the VZ brand for something checkered and aggressive. The original stocks are in great shape and feel ok but a bit large for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/17/2017, 3:47 pm

My LB Wadgun came with VZ grips.  They were nice but I had the Altamount target grips waiting for the LB to arrive.  I have the same grips on the Nelson and looking at a pair of Altamount for the 52-2.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 4/17/2017, 3:54 pm

I have small hands so it's often that big target grips don't work for me. I bought a set of 1911 grips that had been carved on and adjusted. I like them a lot and they fit me well. I think they're Fung grips. But now probably looked at as destroyed. They're more or less slab sides with extra wood and an adjustable rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 4/17/2017, 4:01 pm

When Bill Davis competed in PPC , Jerry Eason was his team partner. The two were very, VERY GOOD, HM competitors.  Jerry had an unconventional style, with one hand under the other similar to gripping a baseball bat..The bottom hand can use extreme grip force to stabilize the gun, leaving the shooting hand dexterity, stress free.  The long Bill Davis designed grips were to compliment Jerry's style. I watched and photographed Jerry's grip style at DesMoines,  Iowa PPC Nationals somewhere around 1981.. I practiced Jerry's grip style all the following winter.  That technique carried me well into the HM class and countless wins..As for wood vs rubber/plastic, by far many more wins and records were accounted for by rubber/plastic.. The wood grips on S&W is like gripping a baseball bat by the wrong end..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/17/2017, 4:12 pm

Phil Hemphill's revolver used to win many PPC Championships.

Bill Davis Grips Hemphi10
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 4/17/2017, 5:26 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:When Bill Davis competed in PPC , Jerry Eason was his team partner. The two were very, VERY GOOD, HM competitors.  Jerry had an unconventional style, with one hand under the other similar to gripping a baseball bat..The bottom hand can use extreme grip force to stabilize the gun, leaving the shooting hand dexterity, stress free.  The long Bill Davis designed grips were to compliment Jerry's style. I watched and photographed Jerry's grip style at DesMoines,  Iowa PPC Nationals somewhere around 1981.. I practiced Jerry's grip style all the following winter.  That technique carried me well into the HM class and countless wins..As for wood vs rubber/plastic, by far many more wins and records were accounted for by rubber/plastic.. The wood grips on S&W is like gripping a baseball bat by the wrong end..
I'd like to see how gripping the gun looks Smile

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 4/17/2017, 8:42 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:Jerry had an unconventional style, with one hand under the other similar to gripping a baseball bat..

Is that how you're supposed to use the very long Nill grips?

Bill Davis Grips Ppc2
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/17/2017, 9:04 pm

Those are that long for PPC shooters exactly so you can use the bat type grips. For Bullseye Nills makes a different set of grips. Just like James picture. These are my DR grips.

Bill Davis Grips Dscf0814
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 4/18/2017, 7:04 am

Tim:H11 wrote:I remember saying I'd come back and say something about the Bill Davis grips I got for my S&W M14-3 a long time ago and never did. Sorry. Couldn't find the old thread either. So I got them some time ago and I've played with em on and off. I like them a lot. Very comfortable. But very long. And I find myself having to choke up a lot on these. They were without a doubt intended for two hand hold shooting. But still they are cheap, feel good, and I don't have to worry about breaking wood grips. They are rubber like and stay put in your hand with a firm grip easily. No pivoting or sliding like a finely finished pair of wood grips might have a tendency to do. All in all I say it's money well spent and I'll be buying a second pair for my S&W M17-3.

I remember your other thread, and wonderd how they worked out. I really might give them a shot. I have big hands, so sounds like they might be perfect for me. Right now I am using stock coke bottle targets.. they work OK, but are a little small. I also have some smooth targetrs, but they are way small. Nice for plinking, but not for bullseye. For the price, its hard to not justify at least trying a set..

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 4/18/2017, 8:28 am

That's they way I saw it. At the cost from the Bill Davis website why not try them at least. And if you don't like em you could always sell them here. Someone would buy them I'm sure. Like I said I'm considering a second pair for my 17-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/18/2017, 10:08 am

I have several pairs. Also available in pink and lime green!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down