Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22 ammo findings

+7
Larry Lang
DavidR
jakuda
BE Mike
Rob Kovach
Tallen
Paper-Puncher
11 posters

Go down

.22 ammo findings Empty .22 ammo findings

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/31/2012, 12:02 am

Having ran out of CCI std , Ive started to use Fed 510's or Champion . I also use CCI Blazer and Ive pretty much found that it really doesnt seem to make much difference on the .22 ammo as long as your gun likes it ...it will punch the x-ring.....CCI std is my prefered ammo ...But it seems anything in std velocity is always non-existent on the shelfs...so I just started trying what I could find in good supply....I have avoided remington ammo but anything else Ive tryed hasnt changed any of my scores....I in fact cleaned a timed fire target with federal 38gr hollow points....100-7x ....copper washed HV ..so now I think I'm gonna do some rested shooting with federal lightnings, Champion and CCI blazer and just not concern myself with chaseing std velocity ...anybody else found this to be true.....???Also Ive seen where remington has made some changes to there .22 ammo and improved their primeing.....Dunhams always has bricks of the subsonic HP's and goldens on the shelf....may even try some of those if remington has fixed their primeing issues those subsonic HP's should be perfect....or even the Blue box target stuff is also in good supply always at my local dunhams......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

.22 ammo findings Empty Re: .22 ammo findings

Post by Tallen 3/31/2012, 7:01 am

Ive been forced to try different ammo also, Dicks is always out of CCI std. velocity so I've been using Blazer instead with good results. The last couple of boxes of Rem. goldens have at least gone off without too many duds. Tested Blazer from a rest and got good results, just behind std. velocity.

Tallen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/31/2012, 8:07 am

Federal Lightning grouped tighter for me than CCI SV and Blazer. I still use it for matches as a result. I took pictures of the targets...I'll post them later.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/31/2012, 8:32 am

I never could get Lightning or Blazer to group inside the 10 ring from a machine rest at 50 yards, but different .22 caliber guns vary on what ammo they like and don't like.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/31/2012, 12:12 pm

What .22 are you using BE Mike?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 3/31/2012, 1:11 pm

For me it's not necessarily how tight of a group the ammunition holds, but the number of duds per box. With CCI Std, I get 0 or 1 dud per 2000-5000. With cheaper/bulk ammo, it's lot dependent. I used to love the Federal "Automatch" 325 bulk box, but then I ran into a string of bad lots which gave me 1 dud per 50.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/31/2012, 2:39 pm

I've been shooting nothing but Federal lightning for over a year now. 1 dud out of 3000-4000ish?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/31/2012, 2:47 pm

Ive even had good luck with Federal American Eagle......But I am with Rob the 510 lightning shoots well as does the blue box Champion.....I tryed the Aquilla Super Extra....and I had to many duds and squib's ...I'm at the point now where a good HV load is fine.....every once in awhile I can get some CCI std....but not very often....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/31/2012, 4:05 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:What .22 are you using BE Mike?
I've been using CCI SV for the Marvel Precision conversion. My Hammerli 208s really likes CCI Pistol Match, but it is so pricey that I quit using it quite a while ago. I've been using SK Jagd Pistol Match lately. No doubt that reliability is a necessity, but I always wanted .22 ammo that would at least shoot in the ten ring at 50 yards. Over the years I've done some machine rest testing with various .22 ammo. Most good .22 ammo will do under 2" and some even a lot better. I have a case of SK Jagd Standard Plus that I haven't opened yet. I'm not sure, but I think it should shoot pretty well out of any of my pistols. I've had pretty good luck with Aguila Standard, Target and Match, as far as accuracy goes, but some guns don't feed it very well. Eley shoots well, but not as accurate in MY guns as say Aguila or CCI Pistol Match and consistently goes bang, but there again, it is too pricey for a workin' (or my case retired) man.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/3/2012, 9:42 am

Shooting high velocity in some guns is no problem but in match grade guns like a 208s, aw93 or many others would require a stronger recoil spring so you dont cause damage to the gun.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 4/3/2012, 10:40 am

I have 2 Marvel conversions. One is set up for serious match shooting, with a 2.2# trigger. It likes Aguila SV. The other has a heavier recoil spring and trigger. I use it for .45 training with HV ammo. I've tried Blazer, Fed 510 and the newly packaged Peters, all around $20 for 10x50.

Currently I'm using Winchester Expert from a 500 round bulk pack. The report and perceived recoil is not as much as others and I have had no misfires. Accuracy is pretty good. I think I'll continue to stay with the Expert.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 4/3/2012, 3:35 pm

Larry ,

What did you think of the " New " Remington stuff ? The Dunhams in my town always has a good supply of it..Also the Winchester expert is a hollow point correct ?

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 4/3/2012, 9:16 pm

Paper-Puncher wrote:Larry ,

What did you think of the " New " Remington stuff ? The Dunhams in my town always has a good supply of it..Also the Winchester expert is a hollow point correct ?
Correct on the Win, 38gr HP black lube, not copper gilded.

With the Rem-Peters I felt a few that were definitely under charged. They made it to the target, but printed a little low. As these brands are all within a buck or two I'd try them all to see which works the best in your pistol. Stay away if you're shooting a fragile Euro gun.
LL
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by MarineShooter 5/3/2012, 1:51 am

I have used CCI SV since I started shooting back in the 90's. When I started back up again last year I am still using CCI SV and have never had any problems with the gun in regards to FTF or FTE. Half of the Marine Corps League Team that I am on use CCI SV and the other half uses Wolf Match. no one has had any problems.

MarineShooter
MarineShooter
MarineShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 5/12/2012, 8:30 pm

Hello guys!

I have a IZH 35m and my practice round is the cci sv. It will put ten shots in 1/2 inch at 25 yards off a rest. Personally, I find this round a little bit larger in dimensions when compaired to my other often used rounds. Performancewise, I get about one ftf every 400 or 500 rounds but that is a estimate. The reason that it is my practice round is tha t I have a lot of it on hand that was purchased at less then 2.50/50. The larger size of the cci sv I think is causing the failure to feed and this size differential is easily verified by trying to chamber this round in my winchester 52 c or one of my kimber 82G's. It will be very difficult to close the bolt whereas the other ammo's mentioned below do not have this problem in my rifles.

Wolf Match Target will group at 3/8th inch at 25 yards off a rest. I think this level of accuracy is the limits of definition of my eyeballs with a red dot. At over $5.00 a box, I do not use this for competition very often but since it is my competition/practice round for my three position and bench rest rifles, its usually in the cupboards. I do not like it for bullseye because the wolf snot lubrication hampers the grip during competition. This wolf snot lubrication quickly migrates to the steering weel, the garage door nob, and the toilet flusher handle. It is also a very effective cat hair attractant and will create a permanent friction free surface on the garage floor when a box of ammo is opened upside down.

Eley sport shoots very well in my pistol, 3/8th inch 10 round group at 25 yards although I suspect the wolf match target is a touch better. At just under $3.00/box, it quickly became my favorite competition ammo and will become my practice ammo for bullseye as soon as my cci sv supply is exhausted. It has a dry lubrication which is no where near as annoying as the wolf snot. Reliability is close to 100 percent as is the wolf mt.

SK pistol Match shoots very accurate, again that 3/8th inch 25 yard group off a rest. It is just as reliable. A little bit more expensive then wolf, and just as snotty too. Surprisingly, this stuff shoots a touch more accurate in my target rifles then the wolf mt.

SK pistol Match Special shoots just as accurate but it has a little more horsepower for my liking, and a little too much horsepower for my pistol from its cycling. At over $6 bucks a box, its too expensive for a competition ammo, especially with the wolf snot lubrication. Have not shot enough of this stuff through my pistol but it did not have any malfunctions. Even more surpisingly, this ammo performs very well in my target rifles too.

In summary, I would recommend you get a couple boxes of eley sport and give it a try. Some pistols, most notably pardini's, do not function well with eley sport, probably because of the less recoil of this round. Even though its the same weight and speed as cci sv, there is a slight reduction in recoil with the eley sport when compairing these side by side.

Regards,

Cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Gold 5/21/2012, 7:11 pm

CrankyThunder wrote:
SK pistol Match shoots very accurate, again that 3/8th inch 25 yard group off a rest. It is just as reliable. A little bit more expensive then wolf, and just as snotty too. Surprisingly, this stuff shoots a touch more accurate in my target rifles then the wolf mt.

I had two IZH35's and thay ate everything. I ended up using Agulia SV as my match and practice ammo because there was no difference at 50 yards. When I started shooting a GSP the Agulia started giving me a 5% failure to feed rate. The Walther chamber is tighter than the IZH's, and about 5% of the Agulia just wont chamber on the first try. So, I train with the Agulia, but shoot Wolf MT in a match.
FWIW, SK makes .22lr ammo for Wolf. I once bought a brick of Wolf MT, and when I opened it up all the 50 round boxes were SK boxes. If you take a look at both brands of ammo, they have the same head stamp.

Sgt_Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 5/22/2012, 6:36 am

My squirrel rifle loves Federal Champion better than anything else; go figure.

I apologize for hijacking the thread and sending it downhill.

Last edited by inthebeech on 5/22/2012, 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down