Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets?

+3
jglenn21
jmdavis
javaduke
7 posters

Go down

Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets? Empty Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets?

Post by javaduke 8/14/2017, 10:49 am

Wondering if anyone uses them. I currently use cast Penn bullets, they are very accurate and leave no leading in my barrel. I used .38 Precision Delta bullets in my Model 52, and they were very accurate too, but they leave a lot of leading in the barrel, I have to clean it thoroughly after every match. So I'm trying to decide whether .45 PD bullets are worth trying.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets? Empty Re: Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets?

Post by jmdavis 8/14/2017, 11:14 am

If your current bullets aren't holding you back, why change?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets? Empty Re: Any experience with Precision Delta 200gr bullets?

Post by javaduke 8/14/2017, 11:16 am

Well, one reason is that I'd like to improve my reloading process and use the auto bullets feeder, but the Penn bullets are waxed and don't feed well. So I was looking for a similar type of bullet but with a dry lube.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/14/2017, 11:40 am

You might consider cleaning (washing) and tumble lubing the Penn Bullets, but I can't say that they will work in your feeder. It seems that the most reliable bullets for the feeders are the jacketed.

Last edited by jmdavis on 8/14/2017, 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/14/2017, 4:41 pm

on your 38 bullets leading your barrel.. easy fix is to wash the bullets of the old lube with Mineral spirits and then recoat with 45-45-10.. I get mine from white label lubes and it works very well.   simply tumble the bullets in a plastic can and then lay them out on wax paper to dry.

use way less than you think when you spread the lube over the top of the bullets.

I had some old star HBWC and the 45-45-10 solved the leading issue

This works on most an swaged bullet BTW not just the 38
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/14/2017, 4:44 pm

The tumble lube with White Label 45-45-10 works on cast too.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/14/2017, 4:46 pm

on your waxed bullets not feeding well in a bullet feeder try some Rooster Jacket. it dried to a clear hard finish.  coat right over your current lube

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/746916/rooster-jacket-waterproof-bullet-film-lube-and-paper-patch-lube-16-oz

Last edited by jglenn21 on 8/16/2017, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/14/2017, 6:15 pm

jglenn21 wrote:on your 38 bullets leading your barrel.. easy fix is to wash the bullets of the old lube with Mineral spirits and then recoat with 45-45-10.. I get mine from white label lubes and it works very well.   simply tumble the bullets in a plastic can and then lay them out on wax paper to dry.

use way less than you think when you spread the lube over the top of the bullets.

I had some old star HBWC and the 45-45-10 solved the leading issue

This works on most an swaged bullet BTW not just the 38
I started doing this with some heavily lubed 45 bullets after reading Jerry Keefer's post about cleaning and re-lubing lead bullets with 45-45-10 (I use White Label too).
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 8/14/2017, 6:58 pm

I did some bullet washing after I read Jerrys post and Mike mentioned he did it. Was surprised how much lead flakes came off of cast and swagger bullets

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 8/16/2017, 7:55 am

Precision Bullets are near perfect. Great coating and they are swaged so they are VERY consistent in weight and dimensions.
The only issue is the bases are dished, so the meplat/nose can stick in the base of the bullet above it, if your bullet feeder stacks them.
The only bullet that has been more accurate than the Precision Bullet 200gn L-SWC is the Zero 200gn. L-SWC.
Lead flakes come off? What did you do?
For .38 Spl, I have only had success with Remington and less success with Zero. PD just weren't "there" in my S&W M52s.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/16/2017, 10:31 am

If you wash the bullets in solvent to remove the lube for tumble lubing you will find lead flakes in the bottom of your container. This is true with swaged bullets and with harder cast bullets. You don't really have to do anything because they are there. The solvent frees them with the lube and they settle to the bottom.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/16/2017, 10:34 am

jmdavis wrote:If you wash the bullets in solvent to remove the lube for tumble lubing you will find lead flakes in the bottom of your container. This is true with swaged bullets and with harder cast bullets. You don't really have to do anything because they are there. The solvent frees them with the lube and they settle to the bottom.
That's one reason why I don't want to mess with re-lubing Penn bullets, there's already too much lead in my house Smile Don't want to make it worse.
I'll try the PD bullets, they are bit more expensive, but if they shoot with my standard loads the same as Penn bullets (or better), why not.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/16/2017, 11:15 am

The lead flakes stay in the bucket or other container. But to each his own. I generally wear gloves for the washing, but its not like you are breathing lead fumes since everything is in suspension.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 8/20/2017, 9:28 am

Order cast bullets as-cast and do your own lube. I find sizing hurts accuracy, so I pan-lube or tumble lube all cast bullets. I also would not order any alloy over 15 BHN.
Precision Delta swaged 200gn L-SWC is almost as accurate as Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC and Precision Bullets 200gn swaged and coated L-SWC, but that is ALMOST.
If you want to shoot a swaged bullet, my first choice is the Zero, with the coated Precision Bullet being second.
I don't shoot any jacketed or plated in .45 Auto any more, but if I did, it would be Zero 185gn JHP.
I have no idea where lead flakes come from when you solvent clean bullets, nor do I know why you would order bullets to then solvent clean them, but if you really do get lead flakes, it must be from sizing.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/20/2017, 9:32 am

Hm, didn't know about Precision Bullets, if they are accurate, I'll try some. They are .4515 diameter, not .452 as most lead bullets, not sure if it makes any difference.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable 8/20/2017, 10:17 am

The Precision Delta bullets [200gr and 185 gr] lead up in my RRA and my Les Baer, I'm not sure if it's the sizing or the lube they use.

I switched to Zero and Dardas no more leading.

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 8/20/2017, 11:03 am

Well, PD don't lead at all in any of my .45s, so it "should" be the size or something else, but who knows when it comes to bullets.
Where was the leading?
If leading appears near the chamber, chances are that bullet diameter is too small or hardness is too high, allowing high pressure gas to leak past the bullet, which erodes the bullet and leaves leading near the chamber.
If the leading first appears on the leading edge of the rifling (if you imagine the bullet being pushed through the barrel, you will note that one edge of the rifling does most of the work of imparting a spin to the bullet), the bullet might be too soft or the velocity too high.
If the leading appears in the second (front) half of the barrel, the bullet is running out of lube.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down