Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets

5 posters

Go down

How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets Empty How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets

Post by mikemyers 8/22/2017, 12:25 pm

This is off-topic, but I think it's fascinating.

I watch lots of videos of super shooters, and wonder how anyone can do what they're accomplishing.  By the time I am starting to understand what they're doing, it's all over with.  Jerry Miculek is totally off the scale - I don't see how any human can do what he's doing. 

I learned a lot from the forums at The Highroad.  The forum moderator of the revolver forum is MrBorland.  He posted a video that I watched over and over endlessly, as it seemed impossible to me.  Then I got smart, opened it  up in YouTube, and played it back at 1/4 speed.  At that point it became clear.  (He's also willing to spend countless hours explaining things to others - made a big difference in my life.)

At real speed, this looks like a shooter "panning" his gun from left to right, taking two shots at each of three targets while the gun is moving.  I can't "see" what he's really doing, but at 1/4 speed it becomes obvious that he aims at each one, holds, fires the two shots, and then goes to the next target:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNFerCV3W4Y

We also discussed accuracy.  He explained that for what he's doing, he only needs to be accurate enough to hit the target at all.  Very different from what bullseye shooting is about.  Just the same, I think it's a wonderful video to learn from.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets Empty Re: How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets

Post by jmdavis 8/22/2017, 12:34 pm

I once shot a match with Todd Jarret. When he fired the individual shots for some of the stages blended into one long sound.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets Empty Re: How a talented person can quickly shoot at multiple targets

Post by james r chapman 8/22/2017, 1:17 pm

Ed McGivern was like that,
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/22/2017, 1:20 pm

james r chapman wrote:Ed McGivern was like that,

Probably better. "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting." Great book. I came to it originally after ready Elmer Keith.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 8/22/2017, 6:17 pm

Bob Munden has that guy beat by a mile. Watch this video, make sure to watch the balloon trick.

https://youtu.be/v5WjkI5FuP0

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/22/2017, 6:22 pm

I saw a Bob Munden several times. You don't have to be as accurate shooting a balloon with a powder only load as shooting a paper target. But the fact is that McGiverns 5 shots in 2/5 of a second is a record that still stands.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 8/22/2017, 8:16 pm

I'm speechless!   First time I've seen that.  It's hard to believe it's even possible.  Outrageous!!  Thanks for posting.  

I played it back at 1/4 speed, but he's too fast for the camera to capture what he does.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by SachStormare 9/6/2017, 5:07 am

mikemyers wrote:This is off-topic, but I think it's fascinating.

I watch lots of videos of super shooters, and wonder how anyone can do what they're accomplishing.  By the time I am starting to understand what they're doing, it's all over with.  Jerry Miculek is totally off the scale - I don't see how any human can do what he's doing. 

I learned a lot from the forums at The Highroad.  The forum moderator of the revolver forum is MrBorland.  He posted a video that I watched over and over endlessly, as it seemed impossible to me.  Then I got smart, opened it  up in YouTube, and played it back at 1/4 speed.  At that point it became clear.  (He's also willing to spend countless hours explaining things to others - made a big difference in my life.)

At real speed, this looks like a shooter "panning" his gun from left to right, taking two shots at each of three targets while the gun is moving.  I can't "see" what he's really doing, but at 1/4 speed it becomes obvious that he aims at each one, holds, fires the two shots, and then goes to the next target:

We also discussed accuracy.  He explained that for what he's doing, he only needs to be accurate enough to hit the target at all.  Very different from what bullseye shooting is about.  Just the same, I think it's a wonderful video to learn from.

Wow! That man is a real-life superhero! Smile

SachStormare

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down