Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner

3 posters

Go down

Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner Empty Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner

Post by sixftunda Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

My very first post! I have been reading here for about two weeks.

Last year I bought a Beretta to shoot at Camp Perry this year. I added target sights and a KKM barrel and have been shooting pretty good with it.
In the last few months I have learned about 2700 matches and want to get a 1911. I already have a High Standard 10x and a Browning Buckmark to choose for the .22 portion.

So I have a choice between a Springfield Loaded a friend wants to sell me or I have seen a complete Caspian on Gunbroker used with a red dot that would be about 300 dollars more. It is well used.

If I bought the Springfield, I would simply put target sights on it for the time being and shoot it.

Should I spend the extra money? What questions should I ask someone who is selling a used bullseye gun?
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner Empty Re: Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner

Post by armouredbear Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 pm

well, there's a long discussion over here when i asked about recommendations for my first 1911. i just bought my first, so i'm no real help, but all the guys here were very helpful!
armouredbear
armouredbear

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner Empty Re: Looking for advice on a bullseye 1911 for a beginner

Post by inthebeech Tue May 22, 2012 8:45 am

Just my two cents; if I had it to do all over, I would have taken a different path.

Clark custom will take any reasonably servicable 1911 and for $400 guarantee two and a half, or is it three inches at fifty yards. So presumably a decent, used milspec (Colt, SF, maybe an off shore one as well), this mod, and a set of adjustable sights (maybe you can find a used 1911 WITH an adjustable rear ??), and your sorted out.

Folks recommend a used wad gun which is certainly an option but to avoid the unknown delay of "when is one going to surface???" and also truly have a freshly welded up and fitted barrel with zero round count, I'd probably go this route. (I recall recently seeing an Essex or something frame, Colt slide and adjustable sights while picking up a keg of powder). The Clark Custom video convinced me that they will indeed put as much attention and quality in to this package as they do a total build.

Have fun.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 am

Unfortunately, according to Clark's website, they are no longer accepting customer supplied 1911's as of June 1.

After more research (and the need to stick to a budget), I think I am going with an STI Spartan V.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down