Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

factory .45 ACP velocity

+5
troystaten
willnewton
expendable
Multiracer
james r chapman
9 posters

Go down

factory .45 ACP velocity Empty factory .45 ACP velocity

Post by james r chapman Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 am

So I'm researching factory 185 match ammo and finding that with the exception of the Federal match at 710 fps, AA and Nosler are over 900 fps!

What am I missing??
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

factory .45 ACP velocity Empty Re: factory .45 ACP velocity

Post by Multiracer Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 am

190 FPS ?
Twisted Evil

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by expendable Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am

How about this

https://asymammo.com/shop-ammo/handgun-ammunition/45-acp/national-match-target-185-grain-jhp/

expendable

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Are you researching or testing?  Don’t always trust the specs on the box until you have tested them and know how they were concocted.

ASYM 185 JHP chrono test-  FPS average 806, nothing below 775.  The box says 775 FPS so my results show that as the minimum, not the average

Aguila 230gn JRN chrono test- FPS average 828, nothing below 818, VERY consistent ammo with only 9pts std dev. but a bit too hard hitting for BE.  Advertised as 830 FPS and that matches the average I had quite closely.

My ASYM clone reload ammo:
185 Nosler JHP 4.2gn  VV n310, CCI LG pistol, .4685 crimp, 1.208 COAL
average 775 FPS, none below 764.  

—This result more of what I expected from the ASYM before testing, a 775 Average.  The chrono also helped me diagnose some issues that needed addressing in the reload to get my clone up to proper speed.  After my initial testing, I shortened the COAL and tightened the crimp and also found my powder load was just a hair short due to some settling in on the reloading machine.  Now it is a solid performing load and is WAY cheaper than factory match loads!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

I think the Federal 185 swc and possibly the ASYM loads (which are a little hotter than the Federals) are the only factory ammo that is loaded close to the light loads that are used by bulleye shooters.  Seems like you have two choices today use expensive Federal ammo or reload your own.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Not testing.i believe the factory has better equipped than I do.
Just found it interesting the box of Nosler 185 jhp match was over 900 fps, fired one round to confirm it was stout.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 am

Long after I confirmed, with a Ransom Rest, the accuracy of my load (Dave Salyer's load) of 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye, with the Nosler 185 gr. JHP, I chrono'ed the load out of my old Clark Heavy Slide with Kart barrel. It was 829 fps. My load of a Star (yes, I'm old) 185 gr. LSWCHP over 4.0 grains of Alliant Bullseye clocked at 750 fps. You can match or exceed factory match ammo with some effort. It just takes consistency of components and patience during the loading operation. I don't believe in going crazy by trying to wring every 1/4" out of my ammo. I think that extra time and effort is better spent in training. 2"-3" groups at 50 yards made me happy.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 pm

I was just surprised at how "hot" most factory match .45 loads are for bullseye considering the light loads we seem to prefer.

makes me think that accuracy demon often lives out there aways, lol
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm

james r chapman wrote:I was just surprised at how "hot" most factory match .45 loads are for bullseye considering the light loads we seem to prefer.

makes me think that accuracy demon often lives out there aways, lol

The most accurate load isn't always user friendly. That's why I shoot a load that doesn't beat me or my pistol to death and I can make it through a 2700 without being a muscle bound stud. Factory ammo shoots around 1.25" from a good pistol. I can get powder puff loads to shoot under 1.75". That 0.5" difference isn't letting me down. I never ever feel like I'm dropping points because I'm using reloads at less than the norm. It all boils down to squeezing the trigger. Gotta love your trigger. If you don't I don't care how good you pistol or ammo is, cuz your just gonna spray it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I look for a load that gives me my best score. This usually ends up not being the most accurate loads for my gun as they are too hot for me to shoot consistent good shots. I settle on a load I can shoot well and also displays some accuracy.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 am

+1

My best sandbag test and shooting load was 3.8 gr. Clays with the Star 185 gr. HPSWC  black lube.  After this bullet was replaced with using white lube which never sandbag tested as well, these were dedicated for only the short line.  So my quest to look for a good 50 yd bullet began.

The Zero 200 gr SWC sandbag tested well with 4.0 BE so this was my go-to long line load for a couple of years but I never seem to score as well.  Thanks to the recent discussions of reduced loads, I tried 3.8 gr BE with my remaining supply of the Star 185 gr HPSWC white lube and found that I shoot consistently better scores. 

I just received a bulk order of Zero 185 gr HPSWC which were shipped shrink wrapped on a flat which would avoid the potential damage of the bullets from rough handling of smaller orders.  Upon inspection the bullets appear in perfect condition.  Will do some testing soon.  I highly recommend buying bulk orders with friends so you're not at the mercy of the people handling only a box of 2,000 bullets as they curse, drop, and kick the box around.  The order needs to be around 20k+ bullets going to preferably a commercial address.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down