Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuck at 270’s

+3
CR10X
Chris Miceli
Bullseye99
7 posters

Go down

Stuck at 270’s Empty Stuck at 270’s

Post by Bullseye99 Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:08 am

I started Bullseye Shooting  about 9 months ago and progressed pretty rapidly from 220’s to mid 270’s very consistently with occasional score in the low 280’s. I dry fire about 20 min/day 3-4 Days a week and practice 2 Times/week live fire .22LR at 50’ indoor range. I’ve read just about every article on Bullseye fundamentals and conciuosly understand what it is that I’m supposed to do, but I can’t seem to get out of the 270’s.
I shoot a Hammerli 208 International with an Ultradot Matchdot II red dot scope. I use the 4MOA dot size and #2 brightness intensity setting and see a clear dot at the center of the scope.
I understand the area hold concept and trying not to “grab a 10”, but press the trigger straight to the rear focusing on the dot as it wobbles within the area hold within 6-8 seconds ( slow fire) of initial aim at the center of the black.
I would really appreciate some advice.
Thank you.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Stuck at 270’s Empty Re: Stuck at 270’s

Post by Chris Miceli Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:11 am

be a little bit more confident and aggressive on the trigger. Try getting on the trigger as you lower into your aiming area

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:34 am

You raise a great point. I try getting on the trigger (start applying pressure) as soon as I get into the aiming area, but I don’t always feel I am at the point where I am the steadiest. I feel that I can get the wobble a bit more steady within a few seconds more. Is this where I go wrong?
Do you start getting on the trigger immediately when you are at the top of the black disregarding the fact that you may not be at the center, or do you get it into the center before you let the trigger break fully?

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:55 am

Probably, taking too long on the trigger if its really 6 to 8 seconds.

Once you get into the black, the trigger should be starting and get progressively moved to the rear.  Straight back so it does not contribute to the wobble or move the sights in any particular direction.

Do a lot of dryfiring with the dot and really watch the process of the wobble.  Most people will have larger wobble as they settle in, then get to the minimum area, then get larger again, but with excursions back to the center and larger excursions away from the center.  That's what tricks you into waiting too long on the trigger.  Don't worry so much about the wobble as keeping the gun parallel to the intended area of aim.  (Don't think of Point of Aim anymore, think Area)  Watch the wobble process so you will know when it is approaching  its minimum and center, not when it gets there.  That's when you want to train for the trigger to be completed. 

Do a lot of dryfiring with open sights so you can learn how to the keep the sights aligned ( gun parallel) to the intended area of aim.  Watching that front sight will tell you how the grip and trigger finger are messing (or not) up the sight alignment while completing the trigger process.  

Get used to getting the trigger completed during the first cycle of minimum wobble around the center (with open and dots, live and dryfiring).  Should be only a few seconds.  If you have time to say "I think the wobble is getting bigger and I'll wait for it to come back." then the time has probably passed.

One thing I tell most shooters, be sure you're ready to shoot before the gun leaves the bench.  Position, grip, stance, etc. are already adjusted the best you can for your condition at that time before you raise the gun for a shot.  When actual firing or dryfiring, the gun goes up, settles and bang.  If you have to futz around, get distracted, adjust something, or just don't see the wobble getting centered, then start over for the shot.  

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

CR

Last edited by CR10X on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:12 am

I will definitely try that.
Thank you.
Will keep you posted.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:27 am

“Be ready to shoot before the gun leaves the bench.” is excellent advice.  B.Zins made a pretty big deal about this in his workshop as well.

You can’t shoot consistently if you are changing your grip every shot and you sure can’t do it changing your grip 3-4 times in one shot.

I don’t think folks realize they are even doing it.  Just watch another shooter.  They wiggle their hand into “Grip one” on the bench, lift the pistol and wiggle their fingers into “Grip two”, then lower into the black with their trigger finger bouncing on and off the trigger settling into “Grip three”, and finally tightening the entire hand into “Grip four” as they finally get serious about their hold and are ready to aim and fire.

Cut through the BS and just lift with “Grip four” in place.

I know I have been guilty of the above sins, but I have been working on this very aspect the past week.  Watching other shooters is what really sent the message home.

Your mind will gloss over your personal mistakes easily because it wants to be right (I know what I am doing), but it will easily pick out that same fault when observed in others (Geez, that guy must have itching powder on his grip).  Once you learn to see it in others, you will see it easily in your own shooting.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Plateau's can happen as one works their way up. I don't know if you have this book:

https://www.rfpsport.com/store/p1/Bullseye_Mind.html

It has a couple of strategies to get a person through a plateau. It does repeat exactly what Cecil said, develop and start your shot process well before the gun is lifted. Cecil is spot on, as usual.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 am

In addition to what Cecil said (very good advice, btw)--what do your targets look like?

For instance, there's a big difference between an 80 average due to big giant groups in Slow, shooting an 80 average in Slow because you take five terrible shots per target, and shooting 90s in Slow but being held back by 85-90s or otherwise inconsistent performances in Timed/Rapid.

Or do you find some way to mess up an otherwise good performance? Say, a 90+ in Slow, and then a miserable Timed, and then you suddenly "rediscover" how to shoot well for Rapid? Or do you fall apart once you put up two good targets?

Been there, done all that. It's sorta scary how well I can shoot when I don't put my mind to it!

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by Roe Hicks Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 pm

A plateu in the 270's indicates you know the bare basics. 
Here are some ideas to break through to a higher level:

1.  Health / physical fitness.  Get plenty of good quality sleep.  Eat healthy foods.  Drink plenty of water.  Exercise regularly. 
2.  Start shooting a .38 some.  900 with the .22, then a National Match Course with the .38.  It will improve your grip. 
3.  Shoot some with your weak hand.  900 with the .22, then a NMC with your weak hand.  Some people find they shoot better with their weak hand; no bad habits.
4.  Examine each basic principle in detail, and question whether you are REALLY applying the fundamentals.  Is my grip REALLY unchanging, or am I milking?  Is my grip REALLY front-to-back, or am I squeezing with thumb and fingertips?  Is my grip REALLY firm, or am I too limp?  Is my trigger finger REALLY independent, or am I gripping so hard that I'm freezing on the trigger? 
5.  Match preparation.  Arrive in plenty of time, so you do not feel rushed. 
6.  Mental approach.  Don't make your score the most important thing in your day.  You are just target shooting; nobody is shooting back.  Treating each family member kindly today is more important than shooting a good score today. 

Good luck!  --Roe Hicks,  Haysville KS

Roe Hicks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down