Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dot sight on a 45 ACP

+10
Bullseye_Stan
LenV
Froneck
Magload
james r chapman
Multiracer
PMcfall
Wobbley
NuJudge
patnemes
14 posters

Go down

Dot sight on a 45 ACP Empty Dot sight on a 45 ACP

Post by patnemes Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:26 am

What would be a recommendation for a dot sight to be mounted on a Springfield RO in 45 ACP. I'm looking for scope  (new or used) in the less than $100 price range. I'm not interested in the reflex sights but in a scope with a 1" or 30MM body size. I have used the Bushnell TRS-25 on my 22s with great success. Would that be an acceptable way to go on the 45?

The loads being used are reduced loads (4.2 bullseye with a 200 gr SWC) for bullseye shooting. The scope is going to be frame mounted, not slide mounted.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

patnemes

Back to top Go down

Dot sight on a 45 ACP Empty Re: Dot sight on a 45 ACP

Post by NuJudge Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 am

I used to shoot a lot of Bowling Pins.  I did try a 1911 in .45 acp with reduced 200gr SWC Bullseye loads, and it did not work very well for me.  I got better results with ammo using bullets that had a substantial flat, and as heavy as I could load.  I got better results with .40 S&W big meplat 180gr cast bullets, and a lot better results with the .44 Special using heavy Kieth 250gr SWC bullets.  With the .45 acp, I would recommend a bullet with the biggest flat you can get to feed, and as heavy as you can get.  

Sadly, the only range in my area that ran Bowling Pin shoots had someone hurt by backsplash, and the insurance company refused to renew their policy if they did not stop these shoots.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

Try this dot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M15X4H2/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01M15X4H2&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag160133-20

Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 am

You might need to spend a little more.  Many dots will work just fine on a 22 but when mounted on a 45, they just don't hold up.  I haven't shot bullseye in a couple years now, after 35 years of competition, but when I looked up and down the line, UltraDots dominated.  That's all I use and haven't had hardly any issues.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 am

Frame mounted will be a lot less recoil stress on the dot. UltraDots will take the abuse and keep ticking.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 am

I've always had mine on the slide
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Ultradot matchdot II , on my Clark.
200 GR cast swc, 4.1 WST
no issues.

Attachments
Dot sight on a 45 ACP Attachment
IMG_20171231_133827.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(152 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Matchdot II  you can spend a lot less but you will be buying something better soon.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm

UltraDot quality seems to have gone down over the years. I know many shooters that have taken them off the gun or looking for a replacement. However they seem to be as good as most in the same price range. Something to keep in mind is that the scope will not last for a long time, depending on how much you shoot it will need to be replaced. When Adam was shooting home before going into the AMU I replaced his UltraDot every season. I've taken the UltarDot and a few similar scopes apart to see why they fail. The tube that's used to make adjustments is held in place by the 2 adjusting screws 90 degrees apart and at 225 degrees a spring or spring like material (Rubber). The spring in the UltarDot is better those that use the rubber like material I found deteriorate and loose their springiness after time.  But the main cause is from recoil causing the screws to make a dent in the tube. Not sure if UltraDot is still  the same but they had what looked like a steel ball in the adjustment screws and it would after time make a nice round dent in the tube. All the other scopes also made the dent matching the end of the screw. After time any change in elevation caused a windage change. Then correcting windage would change elevation and so on. Knowing that a formula was developed so for example the a range change that requited 3 clicks in elevation became 1 click elevation and 2 clicks windage. That was the sign that the scopes had to be replaced and were ordered. The old scopes were then sold to shooters like the IDPA guys.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Wobbley wrote:Try this dot.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M15X4H2/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01M15X4H2&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag160133-20  

Good price if any good.

Dot sight on a 45 ACP 71Khsu6ogfL._SL1500_
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 am

I would be interested in anyone's experiences with a Burris Fast Fire III, Vortex Venom, or Docter Red Dot.   These are reflex dot sights that are all very similar to me.  I have found a light weight rear sight mount for my Springfield RO that will fit them.  My primary motivation is being lazy - I've got a load for iron sights that I don't want to change at the moment.  Maybe a frame mounted tube dot sight would be better?

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Bullseye Stan, 

I have FFIII on a Model 52, and a Vortex Venom on a Nelson conversion. 

The FF is a larger dot, has just  three intensities (plus one auto), has click adjustments for elevation and windage,  the battery can be changed without taking the sight off.

The VV has much more intensity levels, the windage and elevation has a lock screw, and freewheels (no clicks). Sight has to be removed to replace battery.

I had the VV on a Model 52 to start, but impossible to get a good elevation change between 50 and 25. Its now on the Nelson, where I don't need a change between yard lines. 

I don't have a Doctor, so no comment on it.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Ken, are you sure you have a Venom? The new production Venom's have windage & elevation dials and a screw cap on the top to access the battery.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Just checked, I stand corrected, its a Vortex Viper, Sorry!

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 am

Frank, great thread!  My 2 UD micro's exhibited the exact problem with elevation/windage movement at or near 1000 rounds through my  9 revolver.  UD finally offered me the Macthdot II as a replacement.  I guess, by your failure analysis, that I can expect the same issues out in time.  

Stan, the FF3 on my RO9 has been flawless over 3500+ rounds.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Dot sight on a 45 ACP Empty Dot sight on a 45ACP

Post by patnemes Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for all the great responses. I have since found and purchased a older matchdot for a price not much over my budget. I'm looking forward to mounting it my RO and getting out to the range. At the minus temps we have here now in Michigan this will be very dedicated effort at the outdoor range I shoot at. Your responses are much appreciated in helping me go forward.

This will be perfect for my old eyes and I can dispense with the corrected lenses and attached aperture I've been using with the irons. I might even regain my old Master class.

patnemes

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky452 Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 am

I had a Burris FastFire lll on my 9mm.  The electronics quit after a short time and it was difficult to turn on and off.  Eventually, it wouldn't turn on at all which rendered it useless. As a result of that experience, I went with the 3 moa Vortex Venom on my .38 super and have been pleased with this sight so far. The electronics have performed as advertised and there has been no shift in zero.  Less than 1000 rounds though, so time will tell.

shaky452

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down