Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

consistancy

+5
dronning
CR10X
javaduke
Tim:H11
kjanracing
9 posters

Go down

consistancy  Empty consistancy

Post by kjanracing Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 am

Good morning.  Looking for tips on keeping consistency through 3 slow fire targets. For example, this morning I shot 92-3 92-2, then 85-2.
Yeah...tips on holding it together for three targets.  Slow fire is my weakness.  I'm usually in the mid to high 90's T and R.
Thanks, Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

consistancy  Empty Re: consistancy

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 am

For me - and I don’t do this anymore - if I had two good targets or two acceptable targets I had an expectation of the third. Then when the first bad shot came on the third target I got bent out of shape. I’d lose focus. And it didn’t have to be two good targets and a third bad one. Could’ve been one good one and a bad one making my third an up hill battle. 

It’s a mental game and for me I had to convince myself that the score of the target didn’t matter. My JOB is to shoot good shots. And depending on what level you’re at a good shot might mean black, or it might mean 9’s or better, or it may simply be a 10.  It is my JOB to execute to the best of my ability sight picture, sight alignment, grip, and trigger control. 

5 shots, 10 Shot, 30 shots it doesn’t matter. You do it like it’s the only one there is, and it counts big time. So focus needs to be there. Not in the future, not in the past. Just the one shot. Because you can’t do anything about anything else save the one shot that’s in the chamber. And in slow fire that’s how I get ahead. One shot at a time. First target, last target, doesn’t matter. You give it 110% until it’s done. And done isn’t the target. Done isn’t the match. Done is the end of the day. That’s why Bullseye is sometimes referred to as a marathon. 

This may not help much but if you’re capable of averaging 90’s at 50 and you let an 85 sneek in there then you didn’t stay focused. You started doing things that aren’t part of you’re normal routine. 

Consistent till the end. Do your job. Time and time again.

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am

Yep, looks familiar, my NMC SF was almost always a few points less than SF1 and SF2. I keep telling myself, "just shoot, no matter what stage it is, no matter what your score is, no matter if you win or lose - just shoot, one after another, breathe, raise the gun, pull the trigger, follow through, repeat".
Kinda helps so far, I shoot more and more 95 and 96.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 pm

There are no targets, no totals, no need to count shots, no one after the other, no expectations. 

There is only the shot.

After its done, you can start on the next ONE. 

(Takes a lot to accomplish this.  I'm still working on it.   Smile)

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Lanny Bassham's 2 keys to greatness in the shooting sports:

1) Learn what it takes to shoot a 10
2) Repeat #1

- Dave
I've said this 1K times:  It's a simple sport that takes dedication to "Master"!
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

All above, well said.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm

One might point out that you didn't fail once--you succeeded twice.

And again, numbers are fine and dandy, but what happened with the individual shots is, I think, more important. What was the difference between the 92s and the 85? Did you just throw a shot or two, or did all your shots go a little off-call? Sometimes you just get tired.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 am

I finds that this happens in practice to me and sometimes I think it is because I do not take enough time between each target. The scoring in a match provides a break between each target so you can refocus mentally on each one. I even heard an interesting tip last summer in advanced SAFS class. Take a mental break during a slow fire target as it can be hard to maintain the focus for the ten solid minutes. Take a break to go get a drink or step off the line and see if that helps.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

I focus on process.

If I become flustered, or can't focus on process, I drop the mag and dryfire to the process until i feel like the process can proceed.

My process isn't about how to shoot a 98 slow fire. It's not even how to shoot a 10. It's the steps to shooting a "good" shot, which just happens to be a 10 or an X.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum